frogcase2002

2 12" zcons 4-6k trunk wall

Can your meter test simple continuity?

If the coil has shorted out and is touching something else usually you will hear a scraping sound if you push the cone in and out.

Maybe a lead came off and has broken?

Just teasted it and i guess one coil broke somewhere . Probably somewhere in between the spiders. Still should have the van playing within a couple months

Well for my van build I have 4 zcon 12s but 2 need reconed . Just one needed reconed befor and I was going to recone it and run 4 12s in the van but since i found out 2 needs reconed im kinda thinking I should just get 2 18 inch recones and run 2 18s at first untill I can save to recone the other 2 to 18 inch and then run all 4 18s.

What do you guys think? If I get 12 inch recones ill be able to run all 4 12s now but if I do 18s it would still be more cone area and even more once I get the other 2 reconed.

Just kinda on the fence

Four 18"s in a van sound more appealing than four 12"s but that's just me.

Four 18"s in a van sound more appealing than four 12"s but that's just me.

Yea thats what im thinking but ill probably only be able to run 2 of them this year

Well for my van build I have 4 zcon 12s but 2 need reconed . Just one needed reconed befor and I was going to recone it and run 4 12s in the van but since i found out 2 needs reconed im kinda thinking I should just get 2 18 inch recones and run 2 18s at first untill I can save to recone the other 2 to 18 inch and then run all 4 18s.

What do you guys think? If I get 12 inch recones ill be able to run all 4 12s now but if I do 18s it would still be more cone area and even more once I get the other 2 reconed.

Just kinda on the fence

Are you saying if you ran 2 18"s you will have more cone area than if you ran 4 12's ?

Just kinda on the fence

Are you saying if you ran 2 18"s you will have more cone area than if you ran 4 12's ?
Yes and he is correct, two 18"s equal to 2420cm^2 and four 12"s equal to 1920cm^2. Edited by jay-cee

Just kinda on the fence

Yes and he is correct, two 18"s equal to 2420cm^2 and four 12"s equal to 1920cm^2.

So you think four 12" Zcon's will net lest output than 2 18"s ?

Just kinda on the fence

Yes and he is correct, two 18"s equal to 2420cm^2 and four 12"s equal to 1920cm^2.

WTFhuh2.gif

Just kinda on the fence

haha, that wasnt your first question. Its irrelevant considering he is planning on four 18"s total, just two now till he gets his two other recones later.

Just kinda on the fence

haha, that wasnt your first question. Its irrelevant considering he is planning on four 18"s total, just two now till he gets his two other recones later.

B.S..lol I said four 12"s vs two 18"s tongue.png

He said even if....." but if I do 18s it would still be more cone area and even more once I get the other 2 reconed."

Explain to me?

2 18s would have more cone area than 4 12s . Thats what im saying . . But if I ran the 4 12s I could put more power to the setup this year but then later this year or next year I could have all 4 18s running instead of just having the 12s and being stuck with them

I vote eighteenssssss =]

No reasoning either way, I just love lookin at those monsters lol

I vote eighteenssssss =]

No reasoning either way, I just love lookin at those monsters lol

Kinda what im leaning towards :) beacause shit 2 18 inch zcons on over 5k in a b pillar wall is forsure going to be already crazy

He said even if....." but if I do 18s it would still be more cone area and even more once I get the other 2 reconed."

Explain to me?

I thought I broke it down and the math above would of been enough but I guess not (above I used surface diameter as an example but I will take it furher). If one 12" has the cone area of 113.1 and one 18" has the cone area of 254.47, then do some math and it will show you how he came up with two 18"s having more cone area than four 12"s.

Of course i did the exact size of the woofer 12" vs 18" instead of the actual cutout size or actual size of cone area. But all that is irrelevant as the numbers still speak for themselves. But lets not clutter up his thread, there are plenty of topics over the web discussing this.

Edited by jay-cee

He said even if....." but if I do 18s it would still be more cone area and even more once I get the other 2 reconed."

Explain to me?

I thought I broke it down and the math above would of been enough but I guess not (above I used surface diameter as an example but I will take it furher). If one 12" has the cone area of 113.1 and one 18" has the cone area of 254.47, then do some math and it will show you how he came up with two 18"s having more cone area than four 12"s.

Of course i did the exact size of the woofer 12" vs 18" instead of the actual cutout size or actual size of cone area. But all that is irrelevant as the numbers still speak for themselves. But lets not clutter up his thread, there are plenty of topics over the web discussing this.

I only asked was that what he was getting at...Never said anything on what had more cone area..What I did ask was if you  thought 4 ZCON 12"s would not net the output of  2 18"s smile.png  And you never got back to that huh2.gif

depends on too many variables.  Power, enclosure, etc.  But general concensus that I've read- displacement is king.  

Frogcase-  Tuned in for the madness.  2 18" Zcons on 5k....oh yeah!

depends on too many variables. Power, enclosure, etc. But general concensus that I've read- displacement is king.

Frogcase- Tuned in for the madness. 2 18" Zcons on 5k....oh yeah!

x2, one has the cone area advantage as the other one has the motor force advantage, install will determine the rest. Edited by jay-cee

Anyone want to help figure the port area and cubic feet ? Going to be a while for recones to get here but I want to start on the design so I can figure everything out and have the enclosure ready

Dude yer right up SR 128 from me. Lol

Ya need some help?

PM me, I can plug some numbers into Termpak if ya need it.

Are 2 Zcon 18s the current subs to build around?

I've stopped my addiction by building XBL^2 drivers.  Then again I've never been on the TL..cause that seems to be car audio now a days..loud...I'll have these drivers the rest of my life in a HT application or maybe a IB in my next car.

Are 2 Zcon 18s the current subs to build around?

Yes first build in the van will be 2 zcon 18s on 5-6k

In now way am I showing off. I'm just saying that I've had 1 zcon, its was great. BTL UFO...great. I've had a single RE XXX 12" and single 15". Most efficient sound for power.