Accuwave

'06 Euro-Civic(FK2) Simple SQ Build

Hello world.

Well, here's my Civic build. It's a simple SQ setup.

Front stage: 2way DLS UR6i

Sub: mac Audio Aliante 10" Black LTD

Front amp: Helix H400 Esprit

Sub amp: Steg QM 220.2

Stock HU as signal source and re-used Pioneer P88RS as signal processor. (HU>LOC>P88 aux in)

It's an unusual configuration, works for now, but I'm really thinking about an Audison Bit Ten.  

Doors were deadened with SilentCoat, but I still have some work to do on them.

Cables are AWG4, and hand"crafed" RCAs.

Here's the car - or egg-shaped rocket ship, as some may call it:

post-18968-0-35600900-1367754674_thumb.j

post-18968-0-90431700-1367754607_thumb.j

Old picture of the dash, pre-install (the same, but OEM tweeters):

post-18968-0-77622600-1367754770_thumb.j

Overall requirements of the install were:

1. Keep everything fully functional, including AC/Radio Display and steering wheel controls.

2. Do not waste space and do not remove spare wheel (we've got potholes in the land of Dracula)

3. "Removability" - I don't want to sell everything when I sell the car, nor I want to buy un-modified interior parts to make it stock-looking.

4. Good SQ, I'm not at all after bigbase or anything SPL-related. As fun as it may be, it's not for me.

So...

First, I made an amp rack.

Simple particle board. It just fits 2 amps, distro blocks and a small relay board.

post-18968-0-44266000-1367755330_thumb.j

Techflex on most of the cables. And MOLEX connectors for the speakers(1 for midbass, 1 for tweeters). After connecting everything I thought it would have been better to use the connectors for left/right pairs. On my to-do list.

I passed the speaker cables through copper tubes, just for the fun of it...

post-18968-0-54851900-1367755435_thumb.j

Mounted on the left side of the trunk (and yeah, I know the Steg is sticking out):

post-18968-0-59933000-1367755639_thumb.j

And now, the big mid-bass that goes in the trunk:

post-18968-0-61980600-1367755825_thumb.j

post-18968-0-20101100-1367755859_thumb.j

Now, the fiberglass subwoofer enclosure.

This was my first attempt at building one, so I messed up a few times, but quite satisfied of the final result.

post-18968-0-50640600-1367756018_thumb.jpost-18968-0-52984000-1367756023_thumb.jpost-18968-0-16997500-1367756026_thumb.jpost-18968-0-88198900-1367756028_thumb.j

post-18968-0-66478500-1367756033_thumb.j

Enclosure is sealed, but I made it easily vent-able... The round thingey is actually a plug for the port hole. Just need to make another round thingey with a port.

Finally: 

A crappy picture.

post-18968-0-69866200-1367756209_thumb.j

Well, that's most of it. Still have to work on the doors and some prettyfication.

And better photos.

Edited by groowe

very well done, i like how neat everything is. Though i will ask about your box. If its sealed typically you need 1cu ft of air space behind the subwoofer, but if its ported you usually need a minimum of 1.5 for it to sound good. How are you adjusting for that? 

Well, I've made some bassbox stimulations and with the volume I have there are some possibilities... with a ridiculously long port. Still haven't tried yet.I'm satisfied for the moment. I'll cross that bridge when I get there...

attachicon.gifIMG_20121104_153747.jpg

nice work. how did u get the civic letters behind the carpet? did u just take the label and carpet over?

I had the logo cut out of ABS plastic on a CNC and just carpeted over it....

You know...the box sucks, bad. You know why? :P

You know...the box sucks, bad. You know why? tongue.png

Shouldn't have an aliante in it? :))

1. You got it right on the first go 

2. I helped you with it tongue.png

The OP has had some really cool installs, it's nice to see someone local on the board smile.png

1. You got it right on the first go 

2. I helped you with it tongue.png

The OP has had some really cool installs, it's nice to see someone local on the board smile.png

1. But I might have gotten something wrong... If not for 2.

Cool installs is an overstatement. I did what could be done.

More pics:

The tweeters fit perfectly in the stock locations:

post-18968-0-88994900-1367845388_thumb.j

post-18968-0-75189400-1367845387_thumb.j

And the pretty guy just sits there, and does his job:

post-18968-0-85444700-1367845386_thumb.j

And a better view of everything in the trunk(still not perfect):

post-18968-0-00830300-1367845386_thumb.j

post-18968-0-06091300-1367845385_thumb.j

How do you like the final results : sound, look ?

Nice equipments, but I don't know this sub.

I like the fact that you have room left in the trunk ;) Well played !

How do you like the final results : sound, look ?

Nice equipments, but I don't know this sub.

I like the fact that you have room left in the trunk wink.png Well played !

Final results... Sound is good enough... but could be lots better with just the equipment I have. Still have to bring the midbass drivers out(the stock locations are far behind the door panel). And the tweeters placement is quite awkward, one is on-axis and one is off-axis, so I have to figure that out too...

Looks are decent, a bit annoyed with the mis-matched amps, but I can live with that.

The sub is actually a Phase Linear Aliante(build under license by mac). Pure SQ sub. Doesn't really move that much air(but it eats up 400W like they're nothing), it's mainly a 10" midbass driver. But it's really smooth, fast and it blends in perfectly with the front stage.

Well, this is awkward. Updates with upgrades.

Traded in my P88 and 150$ for:

IMG_20130510_181815_zps237d42c4.jpg

The guy who sold it to me said it had noise issues, I've tested it on a lab power supply, updated the firmware and ... there's no unwanted noise whatsoever. Still, fingers crossed for when I install it.

Edited by groowe

Well, it's all installed, using the high level inputs there is no noise, the only thing I've noticed is a digital beeping noise caused by the DRC(as I've read) - when using AUX inputs AND the source(phone) is connected to the charger... so it's probably a ground loop somewhere. Probably easily fixable.

Sound wise it's not an improvement. That would be an understatement. I've rediscovered my speakers and amps. Still have to tune a bit, but everything is already so much better.

Well, late night install time. Just managed to fit the remote, looks decent biggrin.png

Soon I'll relocate the audison in the trunk and there's some fabrication required...

post-18968-0-86425700-1368570120_thumb.j

Edited by groowe

Prototyping time:

Operation port.

post-18968-0-56166200-1372798393_thumb.j

The Aliante is disturbingly weak in a sealed enclosure, so I had to port it. Big difference, tuned to around 40hz right now, still want to go lower. I just need a lot of plastic tube :| And somehow integrate everything so it doesn't look awkward.

New "head unit".

Also, Faital 3FE20 fullrange drivers.

Still more to come: digital output from tablet(HDMI port), steering wheel remote on tablet(bluetooth), new sub(JL W6/W7).

But for now: 

IMG_20140201_172207_zpsuyfv6gb0.jpg

Looks real good, I been wanting to try out those Faitals and for the price they arent bad. How do you like them so far?

The faitals are interesting, crisp top end, but somehow dry in the midrange. They're not bad in any way though.

Thats good to know, are you using them with a tweeter?

Thats good to know, are you using them with a tweeter?

No, high passed at about 150-175hz, and that's it. Don't really need a tweeter. I have the stock ones mounted just for design purposes.