dbsupra

Need some advice on sub setup music only

I am building a full system for a friend in her trailblazer and need a little guidance to make sure I'm on the right path.

She listens to 90% country music and about 10% classic rock. She likes loud but nothing over the top. I pretty well have the front stage sorted. Deleting rear speakers. Have a pretty head unit picked out lol. Front stage amp is done. Which leaves me with the sub and enclosure.

Previous set up she had was a single 10" kicker comp in a sealed enclosure on 300 watts in a trunk.

What she did not like about it was the output was a little weak and it lacked the tight impact she was looking for.

Her requirements are small footprint and $150 or less. I can probably get away with around 2-2.5 ft3 gross. But the smaller the better.

I am considering a 10 or 12 Dcon. I am not sure if sealed or ported would be the way to go. I don't have any listening experience with the Dcon or listen to much country music to know what would be better suited.

I'm open to suggestions if you think something else would be better suited. It will be powered by 500w or so.

Thanks!

I would get the max dimensions first, or if you know them let us know.

Physically I can fit 10 ft3 lol.

I don't have exact dimensions she is willing to give up. Sounds like I want in the smallest space possible is what I get. I figured I could get away with what I said of 2-2.5 gross. But I still don't know for sure. Maybe if need be I can meet up with her this weekend and bring a roll of tape to get absolute max if I need to.

Awesome! Building a set up to play country. I love it myself. :)

I would buy the DCON Sean (W140) has for sale ($100 shipped IIRC). Then find a decent little used amp to run it with. It will give her the best of both worlds in a proper ported enclosure and fit the budget nicely!

Link to for sale thread HERE--> http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/59263-10-dcon-soundqubed-1204-and-audioque-1204/

dcon 12 sealed,  should do the trick.  the price point is what hurts, i would tell you the ICOn.. beacuse i know it gets down. for a fact

I will say that the Dcon is not amazing in a sealed enclosure. I had a 10" Dcon on 300 watts in the recommended sealed enclosure and was not what I was expecting. Lacked output and what some people consider "punch". It did blend and sound amazing musically though. I put it in a ported enclosure and it was a night and day difference with output. If you go with the Dcon, I personally suggest a mid-high 30's tuned ported enclosure. My girlfriend listens to country and alternaive rock, and 37hz worked wonderful. She now has a 15" Fi X at 34hz and is equally impressive on these genres.

I will say that the Dcon is not amazing in a sealed enclosure. I had a 10" Dcon on 300 watts in the recommended sealed enclosure and was not what I was expecting. Lacked output and what some people consider "punch". It did blend and sound amazing musically though. I put it in a ported enclosure and it was a night and day difference with output. If you go with the Dcon, I personally suggest a mid-high 30's tuned ported enclosure. My girlfriend listens to country and alternaive rock, and 37hz worked wonderful. She now has a 15" Fi X at 34hz and is equally impressive on these genres.

I would have to agree 100%, unless you can find a way to seal the 15.

I appreciate it guys. That Dcon from Sean may be a good way to go if he still has it when she is ready. Ill make sure she can give up enough space to make it work.

Also the entire old system is long gone.

Bought the Dcon from Sean.

In the process of designing an enclosure. It's not easy to design a tiny one anymore lol. I have plenty of space to work with I just gotta nail down something I like.

The whole system will be powered by a PPI 900.5

Gonna make my best attempt to do the entire sysytem in one day. That includes sound deadner, head unit, fab front stage baffles, amp, all wiring and tuning. Hope to have the enclosure ready so I don't have to do that too lol.

Bought the Dcon from Sean.

In the process of designing an enclosure. It's not easy to design a tiny one anymore lol. I have plenty of space to work with I just gotta nail down something I like.

The whole system will be powered by a PPI 900.5

Gonna make my best attempt to do the entire sysytem in one day. That includes sound deadner, head unit, fab front stage baffles, amp, all wiring and tuning. Hope to have the enclosure ready so I don't have to do that too lol.

Awesome.  I think she's going to be very pleased with the results.  It's nice she's got a friend as good as you!

Ok.  I've had the flu for the past 2 days.  Looks like the Dcon showed up at work today.  I have a design for the enclosure and would like a 2nd look.  Double check my measurements and overall design.  I totally don't feel like drawing it in sketch up which is how I like to make sure everything lines up and all physically works.  I'm still fairly light headed and sitting at the desk as long as it takes me to draw isn't happening.

Anyway this is where I'm at.  She wants a minimal footprint and would like for the extra dimensions in height if needed.

I came up with 18h 15w 14.5d  port is 13x1.5 26l front firing woofer side fire slot.

With my fuzzy brain and looking out of one bloodshot eye I believe that works out to around 1.2 cft and about 37hz tuning with EC

If someone would be so kind to make sure this all comes out ok and the design is solid I can try to start building tomorrow if I'm feeling better.

Thanks!

Edited by dbsupra

Well.... ok.

Feeling a little better.  Looks like it will work.  Gonna draw in sketch up tomorrow to make sure everything is solid.

Might post a quickie build log, although everything going in one day it will probably be after the fact lol.

Did find out last minute the PPI amp is on back order.  So in the meantime I'm going to give her my old V -12 Alpine til we can get it in or replaced if it will be forever.

Go ahead and post up the build log but leave the quickie out of it.