Sign in to follow this  
tburt915

2 12 in ssd vs. 1 fully loaded 12 in bl

What are the differences if both would be ran on a sundown saz 1500? I have a fully loaded bl now and it's not as loud as I expected. Would the 2 12 in ssd subs be louder?

All comes down to box...

I think it is pretty good. I made it out of 3/4 mdf 2.7 cu ft before displacement tuned to 34 hz I also have my trunk sound deadened. All 0g wire, an extra 1500 ca shruiken battery in the back and a yellow top up front with a stock 110a alternator

Properly setup the SSD's would be louder.

I had a 12 in q on 1000 rms previously and the main difference I could tell is the bl was just more powerful? Would the ssds still have that power feeling? And sound as clean as the bl on the sundown saz 1500

more cone so yes assumeing everything else stays the same,.

I think it is pretty good. I made it out of 3/4 mdf 2.7 cu ft before displacement tuned to 34 hz I also have my trunk sound deadened. All 0g wire, an extra 1500 ca shruiken battery in the back and a yellow top up front with a stock 110a alternator

What are all the specific specifications on the enclosure, dimensions, port length, etc.?  I'm still going to put money on the fact the enclosure isn't quite right for the sub, otherwise I do agree the two SSD's should be louder than the single BL as long as the apples are compared to apples.

12" of port length IS NOT 34hz tuning in an enclosure that size.

A box that measures 30x16x17 and a 3" wide port (assuming the port is 14.5" tall, firing on the horizontal plane) would need 40" physical port length to tune to 34hz and net volume would end up around 2.25cuft, which is fine, but your tuning is WAY off.

At least by my quick calculations, anyone else willing to confirm?

From a few more calculations it appears that you're tuned in the neighborhood of 45hz with a 3" W x 14.5" H x 12" Long port in that enclosure volume which at 14.5 x 15.5 x 28.5 (internal dimensions) comes to about 3.71cuft GROSS and the 3" x 14.5" x 12" port would only consume .377cuft of that space, which leaves about 3.33cuft and subtract the sub's .18cuft displacement leaves a final 3.15cuft NET volume.

i used the re box calculator on their website and it said 34hz. I checked and my box is 30x16x16 with a 3 in port width with a total of 30in of port length

Edited by tburt915

The RE calculator has been proven inaccurate for quite some time now with no upgrades, updates or changes that I'm aware of.  Download the Torres box calculator, plug in your enclosure information and see what it says.  I think you'll find my calculations pretty damn close.

Trust me, your enclosure is the problem.  If you want help on a design for a new one, which could/should work with your current dimensions, we can help you with a proper one.  Just to cover the bases though, are those the MAX dimensions you have to work with?  If not, how much more room can you get for each dimension?

Max height is 17 and max width is 30 and maybe 20 for the depth. i have it in a 2007 honda accord ex-l.  also would a new box make a noticable difference?

Yes, I very much believe it would.  The output below tuning rolls off, or gets quieter fairly quickly the farther it plays below the frequency it's tuned to.  You're missing the majority of your output below 45hz which is a strong contributing facotr IMHO to why it's not as loud as you're expecting.

ok well that is good to know because i have the bl running on a sundown saz1500 and i can barely tell the difference between this setup and my old 12in fi q that was powered by a shitty hifonics hfi1000d. I could not get the box calculator to download though.

Could you fit 16 x 30 x 18.5" D comfortably?  If so we can fit 2.5cuft NET volume into that space with a 3" wide port tuned to a real 32hz.

Awesome.  I'd love to be able to give it more port area, but it just doesn't gain enough to be worthwhile without going over 20" deep, but I think this will do you really well.  Let me get a few preliminary drawings made up and you can see what you think.

Here's the preliminary drawing.  See what you think.

ChadS13TDI-single12BL-preliminary_zpseb3

Great, I'll get all the rest of the drawings and the cutsheet done and posted up for you.

Here's the entire thing completed.  

ChadS13TDI-single12BL-preliminary_zpseb3

These drawings have the matching panel names from the cutsheet on them to help orient yourself to the layout and where each panel belongs.  They also have some of the spacing dimensions too to help with where they go when building it.

tburt915-single12BL-panelnomenclature-1_

tburt915-single12BL-panelnomenclature-2_

tburt915-single12BL-panelnomenclature-3_

Here's a few of it completed, just for looks.

tburt915-single12BL-1_zpscaef82f5.jpg~or

tburt915-single12BL-2_zps7657c477.jpg~or

tburt915-single12BL-finished_zps1061cd9a

Finally, here's the cutsheet.

tburt915-single12BL-cutsheet_zps1a54cc9d

If there's anything you need help with just let me know.  

^^^ some nice guys on here pointing you in a good direction. I'm glad I'm not the only one willing to CAD up a free design to a fellow basshead. As far as your question goes, with more cone area you will get louder but sacrifice space. If you get more cone area and end up with a total Vas about the same as you started with then you will get louder without losing space. In order to do so you must either go down in woofer size (like 6 8" ers) or stiffer cones (like going from one SSD 12 to two N3 12s).

But you should try and maximize ur current setup first. Then try an upgrade after. You may already have what ur lookin for.

Sign in to follow this