Randal Johnson

Cablguy184's 1949 Ford Tudor Sedan

Looks like I have me a new (old) toy to work on ... a 1949 Ford 2 Door Custom Sedan !!!

I know, i'm primarily a Chevy guy, but this one I just can not resist ... These are my dad's favorite body style cars and he has always fixed them up origional ...

Not me !!!

image_url-43297-1367790679.jpg

image_url-43297-1367791019.jpg

It has a Flat 6 in it now that runs great, so we plan to leave the drive train stock until we get the body and interior up to par ...

Just not sure yet as to go with a Ford or Chevy drive train ... guess it all depands on what I can find to fix her up with at that time ...

Edited by Cablguy184

She has a 6 volt charging system that will HAVE to be changed to a 12 volt system before any Electronic modifications are done to this vehicle ...
This motor will crank up and run great !!! Just needed a hot battery and a gallon Jug of gas ... We drove it to the work location !!!

image_url-43297-1367792875.jpg
image_url-43297-1367792842.jpg

To date, My dad has restored 6 of these cars (I worked on most of them as a kid) ... He has 2 left, the one he is working on now and this Black one.
It was bought about 12 years ago to be restored and for the most part, work has been done to it, but put aside SEVERAL times for other vehicles ...
He plans to restore the Blue one, but has no intrest in selling the Black one. So, he gave it to me so it would stay in the Family.
Over the years the car has been cranked up and moved around in the yard and has been driven up and down the road a few times, but for the most part, sits under the old tree in dad's back yard just waiting for someone to give it some TLC ...
We've taken a hot battery and a jug of gas out into the field and cranked up his old cars for years !!! Now all of them are gone (primarily cause of his bad health) except the two 49 sedans ... I'm sure down the road that I will end up with both of them but I am definately not wanting to push that issue !!! He wants to see them completly fixed up and restored before he dies (his words) ... But I have plans to customize mine. Just to see how it turns out ...

Interior ... Well, there isn't any ... LOL

image_url-43297-1367791221.jpg

What do you think about our temporary gas tank ?? It works !!!

image_url-43297-1367791270.jpg

As soon as the primary things are done to make this a running / driveable vehicle ... This will be my first place to start rebuilding and customizing !!!
As you can see, we have plenty of room to work with when we get ready to set her up for stage and image !!!

Edited by Cablguy184

This is where we are at now ... Behind Dad's shop on blocks.

image_url-43297-1367791438.jpg

We have the brakes completely tore apart waiting on parts ... we are going to completely rebuild the Master Cylinder and Wleel Clyinders and replace the rubber brake lines.

From what we can tell, the "hard line" brake lines are fine ... For now

Will I ever replace the drum brakes with power disc brakes ??? Yea later when I have the time and money. But for now, the drum brakes should work just fine ...

This car's wheel hubs have the same bolt pattern as the Ford Rangers trucks and Mazda trucks ... My dad is running a NICE set of Mazda wheels on his 49.

Think I scored on a very nice set of Ford Ranger Stock Aluminum wheels with good "hard to find according to used tire shops" 15" tires on them ... Nothing I plan to keep on this ride forever, but should look alot nicer than those stock and totally rusted steel wheels ... I will post pics if the deal goes through, and hopefully I will have them to install on the car this weekend ...

Fun project, I'd roll around in it exactly how it looks, body would be the last thing I would touch. The patina style is kind of cool.

Fun project, I'd roll around in it exactly how it looks, body would be the last thing I would touch. The patina style is kind of cool.

Thank you Sir !!! Yea, I plan to cruise around and possibly hit up a couple of the local meet and greets before we get to work on her ...

Got to get everything switched over to 12 volts, get here brakes fixed, do something for a gas tank, and install a temporary driver / passenger seat this weekend ...

That's just awesome.  It also goes to show how they just DO NOT build anything to last anymore, except maybe a few choice brands of subwoofers :D.  It's great to see these old cars brought back to life and bring a little piece of nostalgia back from a much different time.  

Makes me really want to get to work on my dad's El Camino SS.  He and I had made plans to get it back on the road together about the same time he found out he had cancer.  It's a shame we never got to get on that project, though it will be a great experience for me and my kids.  From one son to another, spend as much time as you can with him on this stuff.  The memories are too important not to.

That's just awesome.  It also goes to show how they just DO NOT build anything to last anymore, except maybe a few choice brands of subwoofers biggrin.png.  It's great to see these old cars brought back to life and bring a little piece of nostalgia back from a much different time.  

Makes me really want to get to work on my dad's El Camino SS.  He and I had made plans to get it back on the road together about the same time he found out he had cancer.  It's a shame we never got to get on that project, though it will be a great experience for me and my kids.  From one son to another, spend as much time as you can with him on this stuff.  The memories are too important not to.

Yes Sir ... Wish I could have seen the Elky !!!

This is going to be me and my son's project. We still got to get him something to drive when he turns 16, but it won't be this Ford. Looking at a Ford Ranger. I'm hoping to make a weekend Street Rod out of this one ...

Just needed a hot battery and a gallon Jug of gas ...

That is awesome. Added to the bucket list, restore an old car.

That is awesome. Added to the bucket list, restore an old car.

Thank you Sir !!!  LOTS of modifying and color choices, Thank God for Google !!!

For the most part, the main question on my mind when it comes to the outside of this car is ... To Chrome, or Not to Chrome ???

Edited by Cablguy184

Now this is cool ... (quoted from CA-F)

Also, i notice you have a floor patch near the front of transmission tunnel on floor.....I THINK I have a new in box 3spd floor shifter that i got to use on the old '39 ford coupe, but I never got around to installing it. I'd have to find it, but it's your's if you're interested.

Absolutely ...

Alritey, think it's at the Starkville house in storage, I'll dig it out and drop it by on my way back to Vicksburg. About to head up there today, gotta couple graduations I gotta attend.

Awesome news for you.

Awesome news for you.

Thank you Sir !!!

I'm trying not to call this a "budget build",  but I HAVE to spend what little funds I have availiable VERY wisely ... And this will help 4 sure !!!

Sounds quite good actually. :)

'

Sounds quite good actually. smile.png

Thank you Sir ...

I'm not sure how much of the outside and drive train work will be done before October, but I'm planning on having most of the interior / fabrication work done as soon as possible so we can get the system in and playing, and hopefully tuned by October's Car Audio Unified World Finals event.

Thats why I'm scrambling my brains on color choices so I can atleast get the door jams and what ever interior parts painted in time for the event.

I'm sure I will not be competing (because I will not have anywhere enough points to quality in my class) but I definately plan to be giving demos in the Linear Power / Blues Car Audio Manufacturer's booth ...

By any chance you and Mark have plans to make this event ???

Just ordered (from Hyper Automotive LEDs and HIDS) 4 ft. of Red (Rear Brake/park/signal), 2 ft. of White (back up), and 3 ft. of Amber (front park/signal) led strips to be stealthy installed on the lower section of the front grille (removing stock turn signals) and rear deck set up similar to a 3 rd brake light setup ...

Edit: order confirmed while typing this post ...
Either I type really slow or those guys at Hyper are operating in OPT (oriental people time) ... you know, Fast as Fuck !!!

You Guys are going to think I've gone crazy nutz ... But I just had a thought and wanted your opinions ...
I'm not sure what color for the interior, but I had this idea to call Ray at Linear Power and get the color code for my "Plum Crazy" Linear Power amplifiers to use as the exterior paint for this car ...

Insane ???

You Guys are going to think I've gone crazy nutz ... But I just had a thought and wanted your opinions ...

I'm not sure what color for the interior, but I had this idea to call Ray at Linear Power and get the color code for my "Plum Crazy" Linear Power amplifiers to use as the exterior paint for this car ...

Insane ???

I think that color would look really good on that car.

Nice project for sure, plum crazy purple would really make it stand out as well. I say go for it! jman.gif

I am not a huge fan of flashy colors, but I don't think it would look terrible. I have seen a matte black 49 ford before. It looked excellent.

Awesome news for you.

Thank you Sir !!!

I'm trying not to call this a "budget build",  but I HAVE to spend what little funds I have availiable VERY wisely ... And this will help 4 sure !!!

What, no custom chassis, quick change IRS, coilover IFS, rack and pinion, 20" alloys or $15k paint job? LAME!!! ;):lol: :lol:

The only suggestions I have are:

a.) Lake pipes, with or without exhaust cutouts

OR

b.) Exhaust system with cutouts

OR

c.) Straight pipes

Ford Flathead without mufflers is pure ear sex.

And lake pipes on cars of those era are just bitchin