Randal Johnson

Cablguy184's 1949 Ford Tudor Sedan

///M5, on 22 May 2013 - 02:26, said:

Tons of options dash wise that don't require the huge markup of the Dakota stuff which IMO is underwhelming. You've got plenty of dash to build up your own layout of standard gauges.

The dash guages I have now are in great shape ... I'm either going to have them rebuilt to 12 volt standards or go with the Dakota Digitals. I do not want to change up the dash with multiple guages. I love the simplicity look of that car's dash ... The only changes that are planned to be made to the dash is the headuint area stretched to hold the Kenwood 9980 and the addition of the component set on each side of the dash.

Thats the plans for now ...

Why not hide the head unit, and keep the original gauges (if possible)? Keep the dash unmolested.

ricksi30, on 22 May 2013 - 02:56, said:

Why not hide the head unit, and keep the original gauges? Keep the dash unmolested.

The origional guages ran off of the origional 6 volt system and will not run off of the 12 volt system, so they have to be rebuilt. That is my plan, but if it doesn't work, then I plan to go with the Dakotas ...

Most people would want the dash left origional when it comes to audio, But I want this dash to look a little bit more modern with the audio system and air conditioner setup ...

Why not hide the head unit, and keep the original gauges? Keep the dash unmolested.

The origional guages ran off of the origional 6 volt system and will not run off of the 12 volt system, so they have to be rebuilt. That is my plan, but if it doesn't work, then I plan to go with the Dakotas ...

Most people would want the dash left origional when it comes to audio, But I want this dash to look a little bit more modern with the audio system and air conditioner setup ...

Cool man, just throwing my two cents out there. Tuned in either way!

Cool man, just throwing my two cents out there. Tuned in either way!

Thank you Sir !!!

I've been told that I may be able to put a " voltage reducer" on those guages and make them work correctly ... I'm going to look further into that when I get to making the dash operational. But for now, I have a Small set of autozone guages (oil pres, water temp, bat voltage) under the hood monitoring the motor during the build ...

What are you planning on audio wise? Sorry if I missed it...

Mid and tweet in the dash and 8s in the kick pannels ...  

Nice! This should be a really cool build all around.

Before I can do anything to the dash (electronic wise) ,,, this HAS to be done first ...

Going to install a complete wiring harness as soon as possible.

ricksi30, on 22 May 2013 - 03:23, said:

Cablguy184, on 22 May 2013 - 03:18, said:

ricksi30, on 22 May 2013 - 03:16, said:

Nice! This should be a really cool build all around.
Thanks man !!! Gonna take me a while getting things cut out, making molds, and getting all of the ported and tuned enclosures built ...

I hear you man. I'm taking on my first real "custom" front stage and finding time seems to be the hardest part. 

ricksi30, on 22 May 2013 - 03:31, said:

I hear you man. I'm taking on my first real "custom" front stage and finding time seems to be the hardest part.

Nice !!! hopefully we can meet up one day and compare notes, demo rides, and down a few beers ...

post a link to your setup so I can follow please ...

Been talking with our team enclosure designer and we've come up with a killer looking amp rack !!!

With not planning to have any subs in this vehicle, should have plenty of room in the trunk to do whatever we need ...

Edited by Cablguy184

Been talking with our team enclosure designer and we've come up with a killer looking amp rack !!!

With not planning to have any subs in this vehicle, should have plenty of room in the trunk to do whatever we need ...

not even a single 8"?  What about the low bass....

tpec nocurt, on 22 May 2013 - 06:46, said:

not even a single 8"? What about the low bass....

there will be a pair of 8s going in this car ... one in each kick pannel in fully ported and tuned (24 to 28 htz depending on test and tune) enclosures. There should be more than enough low end bass, Especially with a Linear Power LP2250 on them ... Edited by Cablguy184

Why the hell would you tune it so low and how can you fit that large of an enclosure in the kick?

W140, on 22 May 2013 - 07:29, said:

Why the hell would you tune it so low and how can you fit that large of an enclosure in the kick?

Tuning for pure Sound Quality ... No playing Bass Mechanik in this ride, but I could if I wanted to, I have all the faith in the world in capability of those 8s being installed in this ride !!!

This car is a true lead sled ... plenty of room !!! If I was willing to give up any leg room, we could fit 12s in the kick pannels like whats in Mark Eldridge's car ... plus we plan to use external port tuning to meet up with the other ported and tuned (external port tuned also) enclosures up in the dash area ...

Edited by Cablguy184

Plans for this weekend are to get her Alternator (GM 140 amp just like whats on the truck) installed and charging corectly, start pulling out the old wiring harness / wire / and whatever else is involved, see about ordering her new wiring harness, and just basically clean her up and just see what we have to work with ...

I really need to get this wiring harness installed and get some lights working so we can drive her around and really get to work on fabrication, interior, and body work ...

If I get time, I would like to take apart the dash and see what is actually good and what REALLY needs to be replaced or done away with to get this car operational ... The only thing that I know works in the dash is the key switch ... LOL

W140, on 22 May 2013 - 07:29, said:

The enclosures that are installed in my truck are tuned at 24 htz ... Kinda figured this will work just as well in the old 49 ... Plus, I do not want a sub enclosure in the trunk area taking up space (just not needed to get the output I'm looking for), got too many plans for that truck area !!!

Plans for this weekend are to get her Alternator (GM 140 amp just like whats on the truck) installed and charging corectly,

Dang, just thought about it ...

This will be the first Chevy part to go into the old Ford !!!

I've always been told as a Chevy guy all these years is the best way to keep an old Ford running is to install new Chevy parts !!! 

Edited by Cablguy184

Built ford tough with GM stuff! ;) As for your gauges, I know stewart warner makes a resistor (They are mainly heavy duty truck gauges, I'm sure others do as well) so that you can run 12v gauges on 24v systems. I'm sure a similar product can be found to allow you to keep the original 6v cluster...

Built ford tough with GM stuff! wink.png As for your gauges, I know stewart warner makes a resistor (They are mainly heavy duty truck gauges, I'm sure others do as well) so that you can run 12v gauges on 24v systems. I'm sure a similar product can be found to allow you to keep the original 6v cluster...

Thanks Man !!! I will start checking around !!! I installed a reducer in front of the points. Do you thing the same thing could work for the guages too ?? Edited by Cablguy184

I'm interested to see your deadening plans!  (if any)  That ride MUST be a rattle factory

I think it'd be cool to see this car turned into some kind of goth, are you fiberglassing the interior?

tpec nocurt, on 22 May 2013 - 06:46, said:

not even a single 8"? What about the low bass....
there will be a pair of 8s going in this car ... one in each kick pannel in fully ported and tuned (24 to 28 htz depending on test and tune) enclosures. There should be more than enough low end bass, Especially with a Linear Power LP2250 on them ...

Have you decided which 8"?  Bandpass box??

Yes, I have all my Audio equipment planned out ... I'm sponsored by Blues Car Audio.
No ... Just simple, well designed, well built, and detail installed ported and tuned enclosures (one in each kick pannel)

by Team Linear Power / Blues Car Audio ...

Edited by Cablguy184

I'm interested to see your deadening plans!  (if any)  That ride MUST be a rattle factory

Yes, I have orederd about 100 sq ft of deadner for this car ... and No, there is no rattles in this car.

They built cars like tanks back in those days !!! and with the weather stripping installed and working properly, they were air tight !!! When restored with new weather stripping and new custom cut glass, this should make a great setting for a Sound Quality system ...

I think it'd be cool to see this car turned into some kind of goth, are you fiberglassing the interior?

I'm not sure what "goth" means, but yes ... there will be ALOT of fiberglass work done to this vehicle inside and out ...