benz280se

12"Q's or BL's and what options 6th order BP?

hi folks i have two 12"ssd's running right now in my car in a 6th order box off of a crossfire VR4000d i have the woofers wired right now @4ohms for 2k. between the q's and the bl's which is the better selection to run in that box and what options would i need? i am not a competitor but i want to be able to slam my woofers now and again without worrying that they will fail. those two ssd's are giving what they can lol. dont get me wrog the ssd's sound great but whats the use of having a 4000watt and 270 amp alt two batcap 2000's if u aint gonna go into beast mode every once and a while? and before anyone slams me for a 6th order box, it's the onlyone besides a fourth order that works in my car. because its an older mercedes with the gas tank behind the rear seat and no way to get any sound unless ported thru the deck.thank for any info!!

Edited by benz280se

hi folks i have two 12"ssd's running right now in my car in a 6th order box off of a crossfire VR4000d i have the woofers wired right now @4ohms for 2k. between the q's and the bl's which is the better selection to run in that box and what options would i need? i am not a competitor but i want to be able to slam my woofers now and again without worrying that they will fail. those two ssd's are giving what they can lol. dont get me wrog the ssd's sound great but whats the use of having a 4000watt and 270 amp alt two batcap 2000's if u aint gonna go into beast mode every once and a while? and before anyone slams me for a 6th order box, it's the onlyone besides a fourth order that works in my car. because its an older mercedes with the gas tank behind the rear seat and no way to get any sound unless ported thru the deck.thank for any info!!

Keep what you have. You won't achieve much difference in overall output with the same box, power and come area. BL has more motor force but I dont see it changing much. Plus the airspace needed for either Q or BL is more than the SSD. Im almost positive

thanks, i was lookin at the box specs for all the woofers and they are within the 1.5-2.5 range  so i shouldnt  have to build a bigger box. i was just thinking that the better power handling capabilities should give me a bit more output and control at the power i want to run them at.

thanks, i was lookin at the box specs for all the woofers and they are within the 1.5-2.5 range  so i shouldnt  have to build a bigger box. i was just thinking that the better power handling capabilities should give me a bit more output and control at the power i want to run them at.

Different sub = different enclosure requirements. 

oh well i was hoping that i could get away with just cutting and pasting different woofers in the same box. thanks.

oh well i was hoping that i could get away with just cutting and pasting different woofers in the same box. thanks.

It'll work. Wont be optimal. And it wont be a huge difference since sane cone area

yeah i know it isn't optimal because 4th and 6th order boxes arent as musical as a regular ported or sealed box. i know the difference won't be huge but the ssd's i have are not the newer ones they are about 3yrs old.plus the older ssd's are rated for

800w. they are a bit underrated but 1k+ apiece is maxing them out. i am going to need to get a different set of woofers so i can run my amp wired closer to 4k instead of the current 2k. i wanted the q's because the box requirements are similar enough to the ssd's that a new box isn't necassary, they can take the power and they work in smaller boxes. i just dont know what options i should get if i go with those or should i just go with them as is. i will just contact the guys at FI and see what they think also. thanks.

and before anyone slams me for a 6th order box, it's the onlyone besides a fourth order that works in my car. because its an older mercedes with the gas tank behind the rear seat and no way to get any sound unless ported thru the deck

Absolutely the only reason for a BP in car. For your needs 6 > 4 so nice work. Only problem here is that it MUST be designed for the driver being used. Change the driver, change the design. That being said you can model the difference.

and before anyone slams me for a 6th order box, it's the onlyone besides a fourth order that works in my car. because its an older mercedes with the gas tank behind the rear seat and no way to get any sound unless ported thru the deck

Absolutely the only reason for a BP in car. For your needs 6 > 4 so nice work. Only problem here is that it MUST be designed for the driver being used. Change the driver, change the design. That being said you can model the difference.
k well i guess i'll just stay with the ssd's in the current setup. it took a long time for my buddy to build this box it's rock solid, and i really hadn't planned on him making another one just because i got the hankerin for some different woofers lol. thank yall for helpin me out cause otherwise i would have bought the Q's or BL's and probably been dissapointed with them in the box. i reeeally wish there was another way to stick that box in there without havin to bandpass it.

We never said that potentially other drivers won't be better in your box, just that conventionally the box should be designed around the drivers.

You haven't shared the design, nor how it was chosen for the current drivers.  There is a huge faction of stereo moron's running around promoting a fixed ratio that "works" for BP boxes and if yours is that way you may benefit more from a box than from a driver change.  Would be a good time to do both if that is the case.

*by no means am I insinuating that your box is like that, but considering that 99% of the threads that pop up here on BP boxes are people who have been misled elsewhere it is worth stating

Yea as soon as I hear 6th order I cringe bc I have no idea the knowledge base of the guy who built it. But i won't assume its poorly designed/built. By that assumption you should stick to what sounds good, as the slightest change in a 6th order can have devastating results

20130204193526.jpg. img3939rc.jpg20130207180621.jpghere is a few pics of the box as it was being built. my bud haswon and placed in competitions in texas  and louisiana with two 18" sundowns in 6th order in his blazer, so he has a bit of knowledge.  il see if he remembers the diminsions and post them. he mentioned that he made this box with the qs in mind.

• my bud says from memory the inside chambers are approx 2.25 ported to 30hz and the main chamber is 3cu tuned to 60hz.

hi folks i have two 12"ssd's running right now in my car in a 6th order box off of a crossfire VR4000d i have the woofers wired right now @4ohms for 2k. between the q's and the bl's which is the better selection to run in that box and what options would i need? i am not a competitor but i want to be able to slam my woofers now and again without worrying that they will fail. those two ssd's are giving what they can lol. dont get me wrog the ssd's sound great but whats the use of having a 4000watt and 270 amp alt two batcap 2000's if u aint gonna go into beast mode every once and a while? and before anyone slams me for a 6th order box, it's the onlyone besides a fourth order that works in my car. because its an older mercedes with the gas tank behind the rear seat and no way to get any sound unless ported thru the deck.thank for any info!!

Keep what you have. You won't achieve much difference in overall output with the same box, power and come area. BL has more motor force but I dont see it changing much. Plus the airspace needed for either Q or BL is more than the SSD. Im almost positive

Agreed, well put.  The BL and Q also have same RMS ratings, with the BL requiring a lot more space, its probably not worth the time.   

i think there was a slight micomunication here. i currently have the ssd's in the box and was deciding on  wether to get Q's or Bls. but since the q's work in smaller boxes i went ahead and ordered a set . now i see why people were saying i wouldnt get any gain, musthave thought i already had the q's and was tryin to go up to the bls.

Edited by benz280se

The BL's would probably more suited, but as many people have said you should model it. USUALLY higher motorforce subs are suitable for 6ths.

I would have got the BLs instead. If the change in output is not good enough for you, you could build another box.

I changed my sub for a more powerful one, in the same setup, and I notice a big change : I was really happy with the results. Both subs needed the same volume, though.

I'm not an expert at all, so don't believe I'm right !!!!!!!!!

dammit so bl's would have been better? man i knew i should have gotten those. peeps was sayin not to get the bl's because they needed big boxes. even tho the specs say they could be in boxes less than 2.8 cu ft

Ivve got 2 BL's in a custom normal vented box. They are at a perfect 2.49 CuFt a piece, so my box is around 4.98 cu ft exactly. Sounds amazing and clear. very loud i just need a bigger battery atm running a crescendo bc2000. and 240 amp alt

as you can see here :D     http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/59449-fi-audio-build-in-progress/

Edited by spare69

Ivve got 2 BL's in a custom normal vented box. They are at a perfect 2.49 CuFt a piece, so my box is around 4.98 cu ft exactly. Sounds amazing and clear. very loud i just need a bigger battery atm running a crescendo bc2000. and 240 amp alt

as you can see here biggrin.png     http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/59449-fi-audio-build-in-progress/

that box looks sweet! more pics needed! what kind of wood is that, i'm using birch for mine.

the q's should make a good bit of difference i would think. it might not be as dramatic as BL's but the increased power handling with the cooling option should be a big diffrence over the ssd's. i have the old ssd's that are rated at 800w and i have a crossfire vr4000. the ssd's are not going to be able to handle all the power i want to put out, i know i can tune the crossfire to put out roughly 3k-3500 and those q's should take it easily.

i have 270a alt, two batcap 2000's, sealed grp 31 batt up front.

when they do come in i will make sure to let everyone know what difference the Q's made and probably do a vid. people are impressed with just the ssd's so i can imagine the q's are going to step it up a notch lol

as you can see here biggrin.png     http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/59449-fi-audio-build-in-progress/

that box looks sweet! more pics needed! what kind of wood is that, i'm using birch for mine.

the q's should make a good bit of difference i would think. it might not be as dramatic as BL's but the increased power handling with the cooling option should be a big diffrence over the ssd's. i have the old ssd's that are rated at 800w and i have a crossfire vr4000. the ssd's are not going to be able to handle all the power i want to put out, i know i can tune the crossfire to put out roughly 3k-3500 and those q's should take it easily.

Yea Thanks bro! I built it myself. Its a single layer of 3/4 MDF. Normally a single layer of MDF would not be able to handle this much power without flex, but my box actually is inside my false floor of my jeep for extra space and to make it tighter. The box has about 6 hours of sanding to about 220 Grit. Then i Stained and varnished it. I did however double baffle the front for the submerged FI symbol. Then i placced random screws in that so that it would have an old timey furniture look to it. All together i was very pleased with it. 

Also I realllllllly want FI q's just because they can go sealed. Im personally a very big fan of sealed enclosures granted they are not as loud.

Yea Thanks bro! I built it myself. Its a single layer of 3/4 MDF. Normally a single layer of MDF would not be able to handle this much power without flex, but my box actually is inside my false floor of my jeep for extra space and to make it tighter. The box has about 6 hours of sanding to about 220 Grit. Then i Stained and varnished it. I did however double baffle the front for the submerged FI symbol. Then i placced random screws in that so that it would have an old timey furniture look to it. All together i was very pleased with it. 

Also I realllllllly want FI q's just because they can go sealed. Im personally a very big fan of sealed enclosures granted they are not as loud. yeah sealed boxes are nice but i'll never go back to them i just love my boomyness too much lol. yeah i stained mine with a kindof rustic looking to give mine an old piece of furniture look i didnt go with the gloss stain more subdued. ill post pice probably tomorrow.