cloud77

PSI Platform 3 Recone from Fi Car Audio?

I have just acquired a PSI platform 3 woofer and I would like to get it reconed with Fi soft parts.  I cut out the coil and it kinda looks like a BTL triple stack coil would fit.  Would you guys be able to hand make a drop in kit for this woofer for me? 

I will post pics of the coil and motor if you need.

You would probably get your answered quicker if you called/emailed FI.

Hoping that NDMstang would chime in.  This is the quicker way to get an answer back on a Sunday by all means

Ohh yea I guess that would be.

I emailed you back like thursday or friday...

I don't know what will fit in that motor, not familiar with it.

I remember asking any reason why you didn't want to do a recone from them on their woofer?

Isn't it obvious Nick why he wants to use Fi? Fi is the best :) You didn't hear? LoL

I emailed you back like thursday or friday...

I don't know what will fit in that motor, not familiar with it.

I remember asking any reason why you didn't want to do a recone from them on their woofer?

I never emailed you unless my buddy did.  PSI would probably charge me $225+ and make me send it in instead of making me a drop in.  They quoted me $250 to rebuild my XXX v3 and you guys have the drop ins for like 130 with extra spider, and integrated leads, and obvious Fi logo. 

Love your products, if I find a recone for a good price this guy said he would give me one of these motors =p  should I post pics?

PSI will ship you just the recone so you can do it yourself. Then the price should be alot lower when you do it yourself.

PSI will ship you just the recone so you can do it yourself. Then the price should be alot lower when you do it yourself.

Arghhh.  But I don't like PSI =p

he would not ship one to me, he told me i MUST send the sub in and they recone it..

he would not ship one to me, he told me i MUST send the sub in and they recone it..

lol...so gay.  How much it end up costing?

Here are pics of the coil and cone I ripped out:

2013-05-12_16-01-21_268.jpg

2013-05-12_16-01-04_913.jpg

2013-05-12_16-00-58_806.jpg

Edited by cloud77

And here is the motor:

2013-05-12_16-09-12_564.jpg

Edited by cloud77

im lost tho...

u dont like psi, but you have one of their subs trippy.gif

im lost tho...

u dont like psi, but you have one of their subs trippy.gif

Came across the motor for a good price.  Took my chances and didn't do my research beforehand.  I am pleased with what it is and how what I paid for it.

You do realize pictures aren't going to help Nick at all, correct?

It would help him get a general idea of a coil length, but PSI just emailed me back and said 165 for a recone with direct leads, stitched, and carbon fiber cap...I think they throw in these options because their parts are shit?

The options they are throwing in are also shit, funny how that works.

Not going to help me get a general idea of coil length..odds are the coils are off set north to keep them from slamming the back plate anyhow.

you need to get a caliper and get better measurements. 

get you one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U008T9862&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Electrical+Testers-_-9SIA0U008T9862

and get to measuring, the gap  the thickness of the winding on the coil, the coils winding length  on and on and on and on. that's the only way nick is going to be able to help you

It would help him get a general idea of a coil length, but PSI just emailed me back and said 165 for a recone with direct leads, stitched, and carbon fiber cap...I think they throw in these options because their parts are shit?

Coil length isn't the only thing that matters. And as Nick said, a picture isn't going to do anything to help him even as far as coil length goes. He would need full measurements of the coil and the gap, and as he pointed out he would also need to know the geometry of the motor and suspension.

Long story short, the easiest way for them to do it would be with the physical driver in hand, including soft parts. And chances are good, reverse engineering the driver probably isn't something they really want to get into anyways. It would be fairly time consuming on their end.

If you really want something from Fi, recone the driver with PSI parts, sell it and use the $$ to buy a Fi driver.

Just go back with the psi parts... Easy. Lol! I have 4 fully loaded platform 3's and they will take everybit and more of the rms!!

get you one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U008T9862&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Electrical+Testers-_-9SIA0U008T9862

and get to measuring, the gap  the thickness of the winding on the coil, the coils winding length  on and on and on and on. that's the only way nick is going to be able to help you

Thanks for this link.  I needed one of these like you said to measure coil gap, coil thread to spider, exc.  But I'm just going to go with the PSI parts I suppose.  165 shipped is pretty steep considering I don't want direct leads or a carbon fiber cap