Trent Hari

Kenwood vs Pioneer SQ and Ease of Use/ SQ setup

Well the rears are staying in, even if i unhook them lol they were a pain in the A** to install.
Alright are the Type R's good speakers for really loud volume and power handling? or

Is there REALLY good 6.5 or 6.75" speakers that could handle 200 rms and sound considerably better than type Rs? I have heard almost nothing but good about type R speakers except maybe a little weak in midbass.
It kinda sucks because if you look at my setup the Mids are way down by my feet, so it is apparent that the sound is coming from in front of me. Maybe the tuning will help though.
If i won't get very good sq with my install currently please tell me so i don't waste time and money trying to get SQ that isn't possible.
Again, not world-class SQ just above average to excellent sq
What methods could i utilize to make the door more rigid or better for the mids?
I think ill start saving for the PRS-80. It seems like it will be the most effective.

BTW I'm going to college and working all the time now so money and time are tight. I bought this truck and had all the stereo equipment and also paid to have it professionally installed - ALL of it. I'm only 19 and I pay all my bills so I am trying to get the most out of every dollar i already spent or will spend.

One more thing - Alton - you have great and informative posts. I really enjoy reading them, they are down to earth , and seek to instruct, and obviously required some effort to create. - Thanks

Edited by Trent Hari

You need to make this more clear to us. Please never type "SQ" again. It doesn't help. Instead focus on what you have and what you would improve. Asking for us to help you improve something without knowing what it is that YOU would like to improve won't help anyone. You shouldn't care what I (or anyone else) likes, but instead focus on what you like. Until you describe what you are missing there is no way to help fix it.

Trent Hari, on 16 May 2013 - 19:04, said:

so I am trying to get the most out of every dollar i already spent or will spend.

Just a warning. The answer to your problem will most likely require 2 things. The first being you either pay someone or better yet spend some time on your install. And the other is you may end up selling some of your gear to buy something else. Both'll need some dollars, but in college time is cheaper than money.

You need to make this more clear to us. Please never type "SQ" again. It doesn't help. Instead focus on what you have and what you would improve. Asking for us to help you improve something without knowing what it is that YOU would like to improve won't help anyone. You shouldn't care what I (or anyone else) likes, but instead focus on what you like. Until you describe what you are missing there is no way to help fix it.

Is there REALLY good 6.5 or 6.75" speakers that could handle 200 rms and sound considerably better than type Rs? (under $350)

It kinda sucks because if you look at my setup the Mids are way down by my feet, so it is apparent that the sound is coming from in front of me. Would tuning or time adjustment eliminate that problem?

What methods are utilized to make a door more rigid or better for the mids (without relocation)?

I think i did describe what i want to improve (the staging issue) and i would still like those questions answered.

About the money - I just meant i want what all of us want- the most "bang for my buck" so to speak.

Edited by Trent Hari

This is one of the most truthful statements I have ever read on this forum.

Is there REALLY good 6.5 or 6.75" speakers that could handle 200 rms and sound considerably better than type Rs? (under $350)

It kinda sucks because if you look at my setup the Mids are way down by my feet, so it is apparent that the sound is coming from in front of me. Would tuning or time adjustment eliminate that problem?

What methods are utilized to make a door more rigid or better for the mids (without relocation)?

I think i did describe what i want to improve (the staging issue) and i would still like those questions answered.

About the money - I just meant i want what all of us want- the most "bang for my buck" so to speak.

You didn't describe anything.  Again you used a term "staging" that if you understood would be fine.  Instead of saying I want to improve my staging describe what that means to you.  There is no generic solution, only specific ones to YOUR needs.  Until we understand those, there is NO WAY to help.

You didn't describe anything. Again you used a term "staging" that if you understood would be fine. Instead of saying I want to improve my staging describe what that means to you. There is no generic solution, only specific ones to YOUR needs. Until we understand those, there is NO WAY to help.

This is too complicated for me . I guess I'll be fine with what I have now.

There IS a way to help - answer my questions - and stop thinking so deep about how its going to help me in the long run. Telling me you can't help me doesn't help me or anyone reading these threads. If You can't help me, or answer my questions, then don't reply. - simple.

Edited by Trent Hari

You didn't describe anything. Again you used a term "staging" that if you understood would be fine. Instead of saying I want to improve my staging describe what that means to you. There is no generic solution, only specific ones to YOUR needs. Until we understand those, there is NO WAY to help.

There IS a way to help - answer my questions - and stop thinking so deep about how its going to help me in the long run. Telling me you can't help me doesn't help me or anyone reading these threads. If You can't help me, or answer my questions, then don't reply. - simple.

Perhaps an analogy is in order.

Customer: "I want to buy a car, mine isn't roomy enough what should I do?"

Sales person: "What do you mean by roomy?

Customer: "That doesn't help me, answer my question."

It is exactly the same as what you are doing.  We don't understand your "roomy" or "staging" in this case.

It is exactly the same as what you are doing.  We don't understand your "roomy" or "staging" in this case.

Well i said that it sounded like the sound was coming from just in front of me instead of all around me. i don't like that.

Is this effect unavoidable or would time alignment  help? 

If you think i don't understand a term- explain it so i know.  

When i'm helping someone learn to do something, i don't just say "you don't  know how to do this" - I explain to them how to do it

Well i said that it sounded like the sound was coming from just in front of me instead of all around me. i don't like that.

Is this effect unavoidable or would time alignment  help? 

If you think i don't understand a term- explain it so i know.  

When i'm helping someone learn to do something, i don't just say "you don't  know how to do this" - I explain to them how to do it

I did explain. :(  If you need to be spoon fed you should just go to a shop and waste money.

The answer to the only front is very simple.  That is how your music is recorded.  If you want to buy all new CD's and songs that are recorded in surround sound and implement it you could.  However your request is strange considering everyone else that wants accurately produced music is looking for 2chn staging.

All that being said a correct install will GREATLY reduce the localization which can improve the feeling you claim to not like.

I did explain. sad.png  If you need to be spoon fed you should just go to a shop and waste money.

The answer to the only front is very simple.  That is how your music is recorded.  If you want to buy all new CD's and songs that are recorded in surround sound and implement it you could.  However your request is strange considering everyone else that wants accurately produced music is looking for 2chn staging.

All that being said a correct install will GREATLY reduce the localization which can improve the feeling you claim to not like.

Thank god! you finally answered my question. That's ALL i wanted. - thanks

I also asked about how to improve the door so i get a "correct install" What does a "correct install" consist of ? I currently have the door sound deadened but the speaker can still make the exterior pannel vibrate slightly.

I fully admit i am a slow learner - but i am trying. 

Edited by Trent Hari

You finally gave us a detail that we could respond to.

As for the correct install, show us pictures of what you have and DESCRIBE what your front stage doesn't do that you'd like it to. There is no generic answer.

As for your "buy 2 cheaper" subs question. It would be a huge waste of money right now. Determining your needs and goals HAS to occur before driver shopping.

All my front stage does that i don't like is that "localization" or i can hear where the music is coming from. otherwise I think it sounds great.

Another possible problem if you look at my pics, is the tweeters are about 2 feet away from the mids. (not sure if that's bad or good)

BTW I would like to keep this on the sub section, but what i really want from my sub setup is the most output i can get from 1000 watts,While still having good sound quality.

It also has to be in a smaller box because i want some room in my cab. (1.5-1.75 cubes Net)

I have no "Needs" in car audio, only "Wants".

Trent Hari, on 17 May 2013 - 11:24, said:

All my front stage does that i don't like is that "localization" or i can hear where the music is coming from. otherwise I think it sounds great.

Another possible problem if you look at my pics, is the tweeters are about 2 feet away from the mids. (not sure if that's bad or good)

What do you localize?

BTW I would like to keep this on the sub section, but what i really want from my sub setup is the most output i can get from 1000 watts,While still having good sound quality.

It also has to be in a smaller box because i want some room in my cab. (1.5-1.75 cubes Net)

STOP. Seriously. NEVER EVER type sound quality or SQ again.

If you want the most output you can get you are trying to do the OPPOSITE of sound quality. I posted this before, please re-read the responses AND read the threads in my signature. As loud as possible will be a box designed with a large peak, a box designed for quality will be designed to have NO peak at all. Complete opposites.

What do you localize?

>Trent Hari, on 17 May 2013 - 11:24, said:

STOP. Seriously. NEVER EVER type sound quality or SQ again.

If you want the most output you can get you are trying to do the OPPOSITE of sound quality. I posted this before, please re-read the responses AND read the threads in my signature. As loud as possible will be a box designed with a large peak, a box designed for quality will be designed to have NO peak at all. Complete opposites.

OH my word what i meant is something that maybe has a little peak  but is not a one note wonder. I thought that was pretty clear.

You seem to think its one or the other, i believe there is a middle ground. 

Then you won't get the most out of a sq sub and the same for a spl sub. You need to design the box for the sub you are using.smile.png

No one knows what you mean unless you describe things without terminology that you are misapplying.

Then you won't get the most out of a sq sub and the same for a spl sub. You need to design the box for the sub you are using.smile.png

Got it :) In my Subwoofer Break-in thread, Quentin Jarrell gave me some great ideas for volume and tuning with my SA-12.

Should i create a separate thread about my subwoofer and subwoofer  box under the SPL/SQ Fabrication topic?

Got it smile.png In my Subwoofer Break-in thread, Quentin Jarrell gave me some great ideas for volume and tuning with my SA-12.

Should i create a separate thread about my subwoofer and subwoofer  box under the SPL/SQ Fabrication topic?

Yes I would.

Got it smile.png In my Subwoofer Break-in thread, Quentin Jarrell gave me some great ideas for volume and tuning with my SA-12.

Yes I would.

Alright, ill create a thread there soon :)

Back to the topic of headunits, i listened to my system today and i have decided that fading to the fronts gives me good enough sq. 

I would like to know how the physical quality of the controls on the PRS-80 compare to the kenwood KDC- 896. i have used some mid -grade pioneer decks  and the squeaky controls and plastic levers that feel like they are going to break was a turnoff for me compared to the solid Kenwood controls i am used to. Is the PRS- 80 like that or do the controls feel reasonably solid and quality?

I'm at work so I didn't read the whole thread, but the Kenwood 896 is an older unit, and is second to highest.

If you looking for a high caliber of radio look into the Kenwood KDC-X997.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7SV5bOv5cyX/p_113KDCX997/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X997.html

• 13-band equalizer
  • Sound Excellence DSP with speaker size settings, plus high- and low-pass crossovers
  • digital time alignment
  • 3-level bass boost
  • low- and high-pass filters; subwoofer level and phase control

Another nice HU to consider is the Clarion CZ702.  It has fewer bands of EQ but you can set the 5 bands it has to many more frequencies than the Kenwood has.  I can't see any of the other details (actual manual isn't on the website, only the quick start guide) but I would imagine it mirrors last years model the 996 pretty much exactly on those items.  The biggest difference from the Kenwood and Clarion aside from the EQ and crossover frequency adjustments and the ability to do active setups is the menus and how the settings are laid out.  The Clarion is easy enough to use but a person would need to be familiar with what all the settings do and how to use them whereas the Kenwood may not be as sophisticated in it's features but the menus and the settings laid therein are easier to follow and setup for a beginner.

For you the Kenwood would likely be the better choice, at least for now.  In the future one like the Clarion or the Pioneer could serve you better.  Being the Clarion can be had a little cheaper than either, it's not a bad option either if you're willing to learn what all the functions do and how to use them.

I'm at work so I didn't read the whole thread, but the Kenwood 896 is an older unit, and is second to highest.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7SV5bOv5cyX/p_113KDCX997/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X997.html

• 13-band equalizer
  • Sound Excellence DSP with speaker size settings, plus high- and low-pass crossovers
  • digital time alignment
  • 3-level bass boost

I could get that Kdc-997 for about the same price as the pioneer. which one is better for sq (and also build quality)? I already have a higher - end Kenwood, if i make a switch, i want the improvement to be noticable. :)

That clarion is an interesting pick, and it is also very reasonably priced compared to the Pioneer and Kenwood. its missing an HD tuner though. Ill look into that brand more. i was surprised by the features.

Edited by Trent Hari

• 13-band equalizer
  • digital time alignment
  • 3-level bass boost
I could get that Kdc-997 for about  the same price as the pioneer. which one is better for sq (and also build quality)?
the answer depends on the installs need for processiny

• 13-band equalizer
  • digital time alignment
  • 3-level bass boost
I could get that Kdc-997 for about  the same price as the pioneer. which one is better for sq (and also build quality)?
the answer depends on the installs need for processiny

I may not need all the processing right away, but I do not want to switch head units often. I perfer flexibility, rather than whats perfect for me right now - i may add- on or go more into sq in the future, so i would rather be over- prepared, than under prepared.  Extra features never hurt me, however missing features can.  If that's not enough info then that's fine. i have NO idea how much processing my system needs.- you know all the equipment i have. that's about it.'d probably take it to a shop to get it tuned after i get a new deck. 

so more audio controls and features is better., no one seems to be commenting on the pioneers build quality.- how is it?