Sign in to follow this  
riored4v

Grille for an Icon?

I really hate to even ask, but are there any good subwoofer grille recommendations?  I use my trunk pretty often, and even with my current sub I get nervous about things rubbing up against it, or worse.  As much as I dont want to cover up the Icon sub I ordered, I also dont want to ruin it, especially since I'll be packing my trunk full with an upcoming road trip.

Any grille suggestions?

Sorry, 12".

I was looking at those over on Sonic's site, but I almost feel like a screen/mesh type cover would be best to really protect the sub since stuff would be able to slip past those bars.  Main concern with some of the full covers is that there is enough room to allow the sub to fully flex.

Edited by riored4v

thats why i dont think the mesh will work.

Maybe someone else can chime in on this idea but what if you cut out a 12" MDF Ring that will fit around the surround then mount the mesh grille to that?  Isn't ideal...but could work?

Maybe someone else can chime in on this idea but what if you cut out a 12" MDF Ring that will fit around the surround then mount the mesh grille to that?  Isn't ideal...but could work?

you would need to get a 15 inch grille to do  that because the MDF ring would be larger then the 12 grille if you place it outside of the gasket

yea, and the extended ring around the sub wouldnt work out for my due to lack of mounting space on the surface of the box. 

I saw JL had some nice screens that stuck out a good ways from the surface of the sub, but it says JL on them...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7419_JL-Audio-SGR-12W6v2.html

And it says it was made specifically for the W6v2, so it will probably not fit your basket.

Correct.  I was just using that as an example of a screen with a good amount of clearance. (I probably wasn't clear, sorry)

Edited by riored4v

I'll be picking up one of these, i've lost a sub due to physical damage in trunk.

You can use the "mesh" type of covers, you just have to build a spacer of sorts to allow clearance for the driver.

Not my favorite look or even grill, but they will work just fine.

For some reason a mesh grille with spacers sounds like taking ugly and multiplying it haha.

I might go with the bars since they may help a little, but I cant seem to figure out a good option with the mesh grille ideas.