ChadS13TDI

School me on Door speaker selection please.

Hi Guys I'm also planning to do the door speakers (With an Amplifier) in my car and I have never done this I've always only added a sub.  So I may have a lot of questions and I'm looking for some direction.  This will be hooked up to factory Head unit Via LC6i (unless directed otherwise.)

My car has 8 total speakers.

Front door has 6.5" speakers and then tweeters in the dash.

Rear doors have a 6.5" at the bottom and then a tweeter next to the door handle.  

I have added pics below for reference.  I have no idea what the depth would be or if spacers would or could be used?  Not sure how to find that out.

Now I don't want to go crazy but I'm willing to flex my budget if it makes sense.  I would like to set my budget about $2-$400 for just the speakers. I presume I should figure out what speakers before selecting AMP.  I'm also not sure how much power I should need/want?

I would like to retain the tweeters in the dash and upgrade them if I can figure out how to do that.  Would a component set work in this case? There would be a fairly large distance between the door speaker and the tweeter?  Worse case and I can't figure it out I would plan to disable them and just run the front door. 

The rear speakers I'm looking for input.  I have a love hate relationship with that tweeter by the door handle.  It ends up being nearly ear level for the front passengers so you get some nice highs but at times it's a bit much and I'm wondering if I get an amplified setup if it will be just to much.  So I'm leaning towards just leaving the tweeter with the 6.5" in the bottom of the door.  What do you guys think?

now do I run all new wires? tap into existing wires (no idea how to do that) What's best? If at all possible I would like to be able to restore the car to a factory setup but it's not necessary as I do plan to keep this car for the longhaul.

For those that may not know I will be pairing this up with my 12" XCON when it arrives.  I listen to all types of music but an emphasis on dubstep, electronic, house music.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Pics in the next post.

Who is doing the install? ie, what is the budget for that portion?

As for the rears, that is the easy part. Don't buy anything nor even hookup what you have. Focus your whole budget on the install and fronts.

As for the rears, that is the easy part. Don't buy anything nor even hookup what you have. Focus your whole budget on the install and fronts.

I'm planning to do the install myself.  What do you mean focus the whole budget on the fronts and the install? How much extra cost is there?

and really not have any rears? this is a sedan and I will have people in the back seats from time to time? 

I'm planning to do the install myself.  What do you mean focus the whole budget on the fronts and the install? How much extra cost is there?

and really not have any rears? this is a sedan and I will have people in the back seats from time to time? 

Most people will recommend only running a nice front stage with no rears, I would be one of them. Music is recorded in stereo, not RFront/LFront RRear/LRear.

Bolting speakers into your door is not an install.

A baffle, deadening, MLV, decoupling of the driver from door resonances are critical to success. Mounting location and aiming as well.

In fact without knowing in detail the locations, aiming, processing and such helping to pick drivers isn't really possible.

And yes, no rears. Not even in a Suburban. They won't add anything and take plenty away.

Most people will recommend only running a nice front stage with no rears, I would be one of them. Music is recorded in stereo, not RFront/LFront RRear/LRear.

How will that affect the sound overall in the cabin? Will the people sitting in back be drowned out by the sub?

Sorry I've just never heard a stereo setup this way?

Also I'm assuming you would direct me to some of the nicer component speakers? Will they work with the external crossovers on my stock deck?

Thanks for your help.

If you've never heard a stereo setup that way you've never heard a good car stereo.

"drowning out" is poor tuning and an overzealous budget towards the least important part of the car stereo - the sub. Adding more speakers in the rear won't help that concern, much better to allocate that budget to what is effective.

You are doing SQ i presume? i wouldnt go with any pro audio id go with a nice set of 6.5 with silk dome tweeters. I have incriminator audio's they are great!!! and i saw that crescendo has just came out with a set of SQ oriented comps. they look nice. remind me of the incriminators. i have also heard AA carbon 7s. Polk audio silk domes and jl silk domes. also i have heard mach 5 6.5's focal and alpine. they all sound nice depending on the series of focal and alpine.

Bolting speakers into your door is not an install.A baffle, deadening, MLV, decoupling of the driver from door resonances are critical to success. Mounting location and aiming as well.In fact without knowing in detail the locations, aiming, processing and such helping to pick drivers isn't really possible.And yes, no rears. Not even in a Suburban. They won't add anything and take plenty away.

Haha not even in a suburban ok...that made me laugh :)

Well I know what some of that stuff is and I'd prefer to keep it somewhat easy to install. I am definately deadening the doors.

Not sure about a baffle. Not sure what it is. Location and aiming are foreign to me as we'll.

I'm here to learn though.

You are doing SQ i presume? i wouldnt go with any pro audio id go with a nice set of 6.5 with silk dome tweeters. I have incriminator audio's they are great!!! and i saw that crescendo has just came out with a set of SQ oriented comps. they look nice. remind me of the incriminators. i have also heard AA carbon 7s. Polk audio silk domes and jl silk domes. also i have heard mach 5 6.5's focal and alpine. they all sound nice depending on the series of focal and alpine.

I just want something that sounds good. A good mix of everything. I want it to slam and I want the front speakers to,be able to keep up.

Which incriminators are they?

Incriminator IA6.5's i have an xcon 18 sealed and it sounds amazing and that sub slams and the front end keeps up very well. i dont have my door deadening package yet thats coming soon. What do you have for a sub.

Also if you could get a pick of the backside of your door where the speaker is going to sit one could tell if you could use a baffle and or need one.

Incriminator IA6.5's i have an xcon 18 sealed and it sounds amazing and that sub slams and the front end keeps up very well. i dont have my door deadening package yet thats coming soon. What do you have for a sub.

I'm waiting on delivery of an xcon 12" going In a ported box tuned to 33hz.

Also if you could get a pick of the backside of your door where the speaker is going to sit one could tell if you could use a baffle and or need one.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean without the door panel on? There is another guy on here that did a passat install. I might be able to sneak some pics from his thread.

Just the back side of the door panel. like the panel itself off of the door of the back of it.

Just the back side of the door panel. like the panel itself off of the door of the back of it.

I will have to work on that.

And as for people in your back seat. Don't worry, I upgraded to a nice active front stage and ditched the rear speakers in my sedan and was giving some friends a demo and the people in the back seat couldn't even tell there were no rear speakers. They were blown away at how full and clear the sound was. Focus on a good front stage and ditch the rears if you want the best possible sound in your vehicle and save yourself the hassle of doing it again in a few months

And as for people in your back seat. Don't worry, I upgraded to a nice active front stage and ditched the rear speakers in my sedan and was giving some friends a demo and the people in the back seat couldn't even tell there were no rear speakers. They were blown away at how full and clear the sound was. Focus on a good front stage and ditch the rears if you want the best possible sound in your vehicle and save yourself the hassle of doing it again in a few months

Alright I'm convinced...

lol There will always be trial and error, but if you can learn from others experiences why not!?  

I like the IA6.5's, Helix P246P's, Diamond Audio H600s's, or Hertz HSK's. Focal has some higher end stuff but that's usually out of my price range, and seems like yours too, but they sure sound great as well.