ShagggDiesel

Best way to seal off this trunk.

This is my first attempt at sealing off my trunk. With the new box forward facing, there is a gap on top that is about 1 inch in height, and gaps on ether side about 2-3 inches. What are some ideas on sealing this off completely and still look somewhat respectable? The rear deck is completely sealed off already. The only sealing that needs done is the gaps between the box and the trunk opening. IMG_16491.jpg

Wood as tight as you can get it and then expanding foam in the tiny gap. . And make sure you use expanding foam in the body on both sides of the trunk

Edited by frogcase2002

Where you at in ky.?

Danville. Roughly 45 minutes south of Lexington. 

I would make a fiberglass fascia and seal it with caulk.  Use the expanding foam if you want to never remove it again, or curse the world when you do want to remove it.

Isn't it okay to make side and top panels and then just stuff some blankets behind that if its for daily? Just wondering for me. You said you wanted to completely seal it though.

Well, this is a daily setup, and I mainly looking for ease of installation. I would just like to achieve best results..

Expanding foam isn't that hard to get off of wood and metal

Only problem with the foam, is that I don't want to get the foam all over the carpet of this box in case this setup changes in the future. I'd like for the box to be reusable as is. 

Only problem with the foam, is that I don't want to get the foam all over the carpet of this box in case this setup changes in the future. I'd like for the box to be reusable as is. 

Maybe some kind of plastic inbetween

You must be speaking of some cheap foam.  Polyurethane foam will create a bond with the substrate on a molecular level.  That's why it's used for what is it used for.

What exactly is the goal?  Aesthetics?  Because those gaps probably aren't really enough to make an audible difference.  Only possible difference could be on a meter if that is your goal. 

If you wanted to get fancy you could do some fiberglass panels as Ryan said.  Less time intensive would be to cut some wood filler panels to the general shape of the panels and secure them to the box.  For daily driving don't worry about a 100% seal, caulk and expanding foam are completely unnecessary unless the caulk was simply being used to help secure filler panels to the vehicle. 

If you were doing it solely for an improvement in performance in a daily listening scenario I wouldn't waste my time.

is this for SPL or just daily?

You must be speaking of some cheap foam.  Polyurethane foam will create a bond with the substrate on a molecular level.  That's why it's used for what is it used for.

I have just sanded it down

What exactly is the goal?  Aesthetics?  Because those gaps probably aren't really enough to make an audible difference.  Only possible difference could be on a meter if that is your goal. 

If you wanted to get fancy you could do some fiberglass panels as Ryan said.  Less time intensive would be to cut some wood filler panels to the general shape of the panels and secure them to the box.  For daily driving don't worry about a 100% seal, caulk and expanding foam are completely unnecessary unless the caulk was simply being used to help secure filler panels to the vehicle. 

If you were doing it solely for an improvement in performance in a daily listening scenario I wouldn't waste my time.

That's what I was getting at.

mine is sealed with gorilla tape and expanding foam. doesn't look as pretty, but it does the job

just add another piece of wood over the front of the box that fits the shape of the hole.

Outline it with some cardboard.

How you attach it would be up to you.

Glue, foam, drill some holes with nuts and bolts.

IMAG1987-1.jpg

ugh vs

6310750065_large.jpg

cleaner look

So there would be no audible difference from not sealing off what I have left? This is a daily setup, but I want the most out of it. I may compete locally for fun, but not a number chaser.

Whenever I get my box from Dave The Box Guy.. I am going to seal my trunk like so... I will cut a piece of long cardboard that matches the front of the box but as long and tall as the trunk opening (Sub holes and port will be cut out.) I will attach the cardboard to the front of the box and put black 3M vinyl wrap around the front of the cardboard and box to make it look all pretty.  I would use ply wood or mdf instead of cardboard if you can.. I will duct tape the back of the cardboard to the trunk sides, bottom and top to seal it off along with some deadining.  Also, I will reinforce the back of the cardboard by duct taping the back of the box to the cardboard for more sealing.  This will be a lot easier to explain with pictures but as soon as my box arrives i will post a build log.  Hope this helps lol.

No audible difference would be achieved by sealing it off.

If it's for aesthetics, I would just make a "trim ring" out of mdf and carpet or paint it to match, but honestly it would serve as nothing more than being more aesthetically pleasing.. Maybe a slight placebo effect

Well one audible difference that I have experienced first hand is less trunk rattle. That box is big enough in the opening that you likely wouldn't gain any output "to the ear", but it sounds a whole lot better to me sealed off because of the lack of trunk rattle.

Well one audible difference that I have experienced first hand is less trunk rattle. That box is big enough in the opening that you likely wouldn't gain any output "to the ear", but it sounds a whole lot better to me sealed off because of the lack of trunk rattle.

Very true! That's why I am facing it forward and "sealing it off"

^^^ This is the reason why I've done the same thing on every trunk setup I've had or installed for anyone else.

I've always sealed off my boxes from the trunk when facing forward.  I've tried many ways back in the day, and this setup is what sounds best to me, which is what I'm always after anyway.  I've visited the local fabric, upolstery, or craft store and purchased 2 in, 3 in, or 4 in. thick foam, depending on the space I need to fill.  I get a piece big enough to go around the box and seal the sides, top, and to the back of the back seat.  If your seats fold down and you plan on showing it, you could add some carpet, a trim board, etc.  I've always just trimmed out the area right around the sub/subs, and port if applicable.  That way, I get foam up against the back seat brace, if there is one there.  Good luck!

Pool noodles! Lol

It all depends on how much effort you want to put into it really.

If you wanted to compete or just hang out there is a comp in etown once a month.

Edit: I googled it and it says danville to freeman park is 70 miles and a little under 1.5hrs. Or less if you drive fast haha

Edited by dbsupra