ChadS13TDI

Let's Discuss Fuses and Multiple Batteries

Ok so I'm staring to piece together and figure out what I need for my electrical pieces..

I will have a second battery in the rear.

running two amps.

Sub amp -T1500-1bdCP

Front Stage amp is undecided at the moment.

I have 1/0 Gauge OFC running to the back.  probably ~15ft run.  

My plan is.

Battery up front +   (in line fuse)>>>>> (inline fuse)  Battery Rear Positive +   

Ground up front will be left alone.  Ground in the rear will be placed in the factory installed Ground fused to the body in the trunk.

For the amps....

Running from rear battery ----- Short zero gauge OFC to a fused distribution block >>>>From the fused distro 4 gauge wires to each of the two amps.

Grounds from the amps will run back to the ground in the trunk. 

What do you guys think first of all? Sorry it might be a little hard to understand...

My main Questions are What size AMP should I run between the two batteries?  300AMP?  Can I go smaller or do the two batteries draw bigger loads between themselves? 

Second question....should I put an in line fuse on the 1-2ft piece between the rear battery and the Fused Distribution block? 

thank you!

I don't follow what you are asking, but it is rather easy.  You don't fuse the draw, you fuse the wire.  Fuse should be as close to the source as possible.  :)

unless your running the wire under the car...

i personaly fuse up front.. then again in the rear before my battery bank  in back

i personaly fuse up front.. then again in the rear before my battery bank  in back

Yah not going under the car.

This is my plan. Is it safer to go with say a 250amp fuse on both ends near the battery?

Also my other question was should I use a fuse on the line from the rear battery to the fused distribution block?

You could probably go 200, but if you have 250's they will work. To answer your earlier question having two batteries is going to even out the distribution of power better, so there will likely be less amperage flowing through your main power wire than there would be with just one battery. If any short did occur, it would probably be more than 250 amps anyway haha, the only thing to be careful of is using a fuse that is too high of a rating for the wire. This is the same set up I've used for years, it's a really safe way to go.

Yah not going under the car.

This is my plan. Is it safer to go with say a 250amp fuse on both ends near the battery?

Also my other question was should I use a fuse on the line from the rear battery to the fused distribution block?

Every power run needs to have a fuse as close to the source as possible as a proper safety precaution. 

you fuse to the rating of the wire. if your using decent 0AWG youll be safe up to 300A

personaly i would fuse between the bat and distribution block (300A) and then again on the 4AWG to the rating of the amp wich is 200A i beleive?

you fuse to the rating of the wire. if your using decent 0AWG youll be safe up to 300A

personaly i would fuse between the bat and distribution block (300A) and then again on the 4AWG to the rating of the amp wich is 200A i beleive?

4 gauge is 150 amps

Every 12volt connection needs TO BE FUSED !

Thanks guys. Any recommendations on fused power distribution blocks? I like the ones that have some smaller gauge connectors. Are certain type fuses better than,others? Or more readily available?