Sign in to follow this  
rambronco

3 ported on 1500 or 4 sealed on 2K

Whats up fellas, I wanted to get some input on what you guys think. I have 4 Sundown audio SD-10's that will be pushed bey a Planet audio BB2400.1. After doing some measurements I dont think I can get optimal box volume for all 4 in a ported box so I was thinking of dropping it to 3 of them in a ported enclosure, that would raise the impedence a bit so I figure about 1500 watts. Or I can run all 4 of them in a sealed box and give them about 2K watts. I am more concerned with the lower frequencys which is why I am thinking of giving up cone area and wattage to be able to tune lower. Do you guys think with the extra cone area and wattage that I could get as much low frequency output with the sealed setup?

Thanks

RB

sealed can get lower than ported

Tons of other variables, though.

I'd go with sealed. 

Sealed.

Eggy,

I agree that seal can go lower, but you give up the effiency bump above tuning frequency of a ported. I am leaning towards sealed myself. Thank you for the replies keep them coming.

RB

Even though you are giving up that efficiency bump, you are gaining a speaker (more cone area) and more power.

No, completely incorrect. Almost every ported enclosure will have at least a quarter octave lower F3 than sealed.

I would personally go for the 3 ported over the 4 sealed. As long as the enclosure is correct you should have much better output then the sealed box with a wider range of notes.

I would personally go for the 3 ported over the 4 sealed. As long as the enclosure is correct you should have much better output then the sealed box with a wider range of notes.

Agreed

Quentin,

I don't necessarily agree with your response, a lot of that depends on tuning frequency and I know you mentioned "most ported" in your statement but the statement falls flat on its face when go below tuning frequency where below  F3  of the ported,  the sealed would basically  double the output of the ported. That being said it is hard to make up 3db in the desired frequency range with one extra woofer and 500 watts  in the system described above.

RB

Edited by rambronco

Unless your talking below 25 hz who cares, a good ported enclosure will smash any sealed setup in the 25-40hz range. If you listen to a lot of rock then go sealed but for lows a sealed setup just can't compete.

It really does depend on your goals, but I think it would be safe to say that the majority of people in this hobby would be happier with a properly designed ported enclosure.

Quentin,

I don't necessarily agree with your response, a lot of that depends on tuning frequency and I know you mentioned "most ported" in your statement but the statement falls flat on its face when go below tuning frequency where below F3 of the ported, the sealed would basically double the output of the ported. That being said it is hard to make up 3db in the desired frequency range with one extra woofer and 500 watts in the system described above.

RB

I haven't a clue what you said and I highly doubt you do either.

Quentin,

I don't necessarily agree with your response, a lot of that depends on tuning frequency and I know you mentioned "most ported" in your statement but the statement falls flat on its face when go below tuning frequency where below F3 of the ported, the sealed would basically double the output of the ported. That being said it is hard to make up 3db in the desired frequency range with one extra woofer and 500 watts in the system described above.

RB

But he doesn't necessarily agree with you....so he must be onto something? icon_roflmao.gif

Quentin,

RB

Well we started talking in laymens terms and you made it a point to show everybody how knowledgeable you are when referencing the F3 of a given enclosure. Which in laymens terms refers to a frequency where the  enclosure starts to roll off and is at -3db in the curve. Now Since I'm so ignorant ill use small words so you can follow along. Below tuning frequency a ported enclosure will roll off at 24db/octave whereas a sealed rolls off at 12db, therefore below tuning sealed is king. See that wasn't so hard was it.

RB

yes,  I'm aware what 2nd and 4th order is.  However if you have any experiance what so ever in designing enclosures or actually took the time to learn a little bit you would understand that a sealed enclosure will never have a lower roll off point than a lower tuned vented enclosure.  (go back to my first post I said almost as a high tuned vented enclosure could be higher, but who is gonna tune a sub enclosure above 45 hertz)

To make it a little easier for you since you obviously didn't bother taking the time to model anything I drew you a little picture.

sd10s_zpsa14346e9.jpg

Quentin knows his shit man. Listen to him! Also quit typing with everything underlined its annoying as hell.

Win ISD beta ya im familiar. Im not trying to argue but your first post was kinda in your face. Done now.

Edited by rambronco

Win ISD beta ya im familiar. Im not trying to argue but your first post was kinda in your face.

What are you talking about?

Well you see he was referring to the F3 of the power doubling naturally aspirated to the lower response of the doubling of the roll off of the johnson rod in relation to the enclosure. Or in layman's terms...kinda in your face!

Well you see he was referring to the F3 of the power doubling naturally aspirated to the lower response of the doubling of the roll off of the johnson rod in relation to the enclosure. Or in layman's terms...kinda in your face!

Got it!

Unless your talking below 25 hz who cares, a good ported enclosure will smash any sealed setup in the 25-40hz range. If you listen to a lot of rock then go sealed but for lows a sealed setup just can't compete.

Because 25 to 40hz is all that matters, right? 

Because 25 to 40hz is all that matters, right? 

Unless you like your subs crossed at 80hz+ (which to me sounds god awful) then 25-40hz is like 90% of what a sub should be doing.