Sign in to follow this  
dbsupra

05 Trailblazer 1 day build

Alright.  This is for a friends truck.  She had a completely blown stock system.

She was very specific in what she wanted, and I went about putting it together for her.  I wanted to post pics as I went but didn't have time for that.  I got side tracked and didn't get to take as many pics as I wanted.

Head unit-  Alpine CDE-HD148BT.  I have a pic of it installed, but now can't find it.  Really nice head unit.  And it changes colors which she was very excited about lol.

Sub-  Dcon 10" from Sean.  Great deal on a brand new in box unit.  I've been sick all week and didn't start the enclosure til last night.  It isn't finished yet, I didn't think the neighbors would be very happy about power tools after midnight.

For now, I put in my old SA-8.  It is .7 cf3 tuned at 37hz.  Just so she would have something for now.

Amp-  PPI 900.5.  On back order.  Didn't find out until the last minute.  For now using one of my old Alpine 5 channel

Front stage-  PPI PC-2.65c  One of the few component sets I've heard that I liked.  I would have preferred to use some SLS and some large format tweeters active, but couldn't go that route.  They work well due to the neo motor and semi shallow depth.  Have 2" VC which is pretty big on some 6.5's.  On the spendy side though.

Rear- Nada

Sound deadener-  The new Kno Knoise stuff.  I would have preferred SDS but I never could get in touch with Don.  Sent a couple emails and called and left messages.  Nothing.  This stuff seems pretty decent but not quite the same level.  It does the job.  Also used some MLV that I had to seal off the doors.

I think that's everything.  Pics coming.

Here are the door panels.  Lot more than I'm used to working with but still a little limited on depth due to the giant window.  Most things will work but some large 7"+ isn't going to happen without modifications to the door panel which I could not do.

20130525_094757_zps0deda18c.jpg

This is the stock pod removed.  Not that exciting.

20130525_112731_zps3e4b7b65.jpg

Was not going to modify and use some crappy plastic pods.  Made my own out of 3/4 birch.

20130525_112751_zps0cdcdf60.jpg

Kno Knoise Kinstalled.  It's decent.

20130525_172240_zps88aba5b4.jpg

Massive crossovers.  Was fun trying to find a place to shove 2 of these in.

20130525_144638_zps8aaef318.jpg

Here are the baffles installed.  I did not want to mount the tweeter down there, but that's what she wanted.  I was not allowed to mod the door panel, she wanted it to look factory.

20130525_205825_zpsf55c752d.jpg

Installed the Alpine 5 channel.  Well, can't wire below 4 ohm on the sub channel.  So rewired to a coil on each of the rear channels.  Sounded like crap.  I dug out an old Alpine 500w mono block I've had forever. Wired back to 2 ohm. Worked great and sounds good for what it is.  Wired the front channels of the 5ch amp to the fronts.  Meh, it isn't that great.  Not bad for 40w/ch I guess.

I'm not crazy happy about the fronts.  I know it doesn't have a lot of power going to it, but it sounds off.  I think it's because the tweeters are mounted so low, but still more off than I thought it should be.  Doesn't sound bad by any means though.  Well, looking at the door panel I can see it sticks out quite about from the baffle.  I opened up the doors and it sounds much better.  Once you have the doors closed it's blocking a lot of the sound due to seating position.  It doesn't block the woofer but still have some sound trapped in the door panel itself if that makes sense.

I think I'm going to try and make a build out to seal it against the factory grille.  I also think I may pull out 1 tweeter and move it up to convince her to let me do something a little different.

She is very happy, which in the end what matters.  But I believe some adjustments it will sound much better.

Will post more pics once I get the enclosure finished.