ChadS13TDI

Circle cutting tool for Router

Is there a name for this thing? Also has anyone found it at a local hardware store. it doesn't appear that home depot or lowes carry them.  trying to avoid ordering it online but not sure i have a choice.

thanks.

Jasper circle jig is the one I've used, and it worked well.

Jasper circle jig seems to be pretty well recommended

i got a basic dewalt dw618 from lowes.com and the jasper jig 200 off amazon. works amazing. im using a 1/2 inch bit and the jig is calibrated for a 1/4 bit so adjust your measurements accordingly.

make sure you dont make your cut in 1 pass. take it little by little to extend the life of your router and bits.

Edited by gt58

Ok so looks like no choice but to order online. Alright.

What do you mean by not in one pass? I've not used a router much at all. Do you mean take a little depth at a time?

Ok so looks like no choice but to order online. Alright.

What do you mean by not in one pass? I've not used a router much at all. Do you mean take a little depth at a time?

yes, after every pass i unlock it, twist it down some more, lock it and make another pass.

should be some good tutorials on youtube

Homemade >>>> than the jasper pos. Good luck flush mouting with it.

toolmaker jig is sweet.....jasper is ok, but they can be brittle.  I went through 2 before I got this one

siq bro. i wish i could make cool things like you

As what Tim said, the Jasper jig is very fragile.  I also went through two of them.

I picked up one from Toolmaker for ~$80 and it's a beast.

Made out of pure aluminum and able to make cutouts up to ~24" unlike what the Jasper jig can do.

His version comes with practically all mounts so the router always stays flush on the material you are cutting.

You never have to worry about the bolts loosening while using it to cut many circles or breaking the jig from it being too fragile.

I'm not sure what the issue is, I haven't had any issues at all flush mounting with my Jasper jig.  Aside from times I've used it for a couple of local guys I flushed in the rings for my components in the door baffles of my Jimmy and most recently the enclosure for the subs.  I also don't understand breaking them.  Accidents happen I suppose but fragile? 

The Toolmaker one sounds really nice though, I just don't understand why so many hate the Jasper.  I've yet to have an issue with mine.

when i used to use jasper, if the bolts werent tight enough, cutting many holes would jar them loose and cause inaccurate cuts.  tightening them tighter would spiderweb the jig because it's fragile.

I borrowed shizzons toolmaker jig and its nice.

I think what sean is talking about for the flush mount is the sizing. You can only adjust in 1/16 increments and if the size you want is inbetween that you are out of luck. Or you have to make it oversize.

I like the router buddy but you have to use a caliper to set the size. Works great but takes a little extra work.