Sign in to follow this  
GKF

icon 15 mounting position

hi guys

new here but not to audio . doing a change in my sub from small subs to 1 icon 15 dual 1 ohm.

always had 10's or 12's in boxes .

car is small 91 prelude with a spare tire drop in the trunk. my idea is to fiberglass a box to use the trunk spare  area plus a little more to yeild about 4 cuft sealed.

what do any of you think about mounting a icon like tis? mabnet in with cone facing up or magnet up with cone facing into the box?

sound quality is my goal .

thank you

gordie

Direction of cone does not effect sq. I worry about a very heavy sub in a fg enclosure though.

sorry guys, i should have mentioned that . not all fiberglass i mean using mdf to frame the outline on the trunk floor. lay plastic down so it won't stick. lay fiberglass mat down to the spare shape.

build it up to about 5/8 thick and finish a double layer mdf top. just the shape to fit into the spare will be fiberglass. so i can remove it if need be.

i would prefer to mount it with magnet in and cone up to see the logo.

the box specs with these icon are they with the magnet in to account for displacement?

sorry guys, i should have mentioned that . not all fiberglass i mean using mdf to frame the outline on the trunk floor. lay plastic down so it won't stick. lay fiberglass mat down to the spare shape.

build it up to about 5/8 thick and finish a double layer mdf top. just the shape to fit into the spare will be fiberglass. so i can remove it if need be.

i would prefer to mount it with magnet in and cone up to see the logo.

the box specs with these icon are they with the magnet in to account for displacement?

Just use one this and you should be good.

http://soundsolutionsaudio.com/index.php/product-information/xcon.html

guys

a bit of a update  now after about 1 month of play with a single icon 15" in a 3 cuft sealed box

took some power to get it broken in but starting to really pound.

very happy with this woofer , it plays extremely loud when pushed and is one of the best sound quality woofers .

i have the box 100% stuffed what are your thoughts on the stuffing?

if you are happy with it, then I say it is fine.  I have alway used poly fill in my sealed boxes.

Stuffing is used to adjust Q. Stuffing just to stuff is not correct procedure.

Stuffing is used to adjust Q. Stuffing just to stuff is not correct procedure.

Hey Quentin would you mind elaborating a little bit just for my understanding. I currently have a 2.85ft^3 sealed enclosure for my 2-12" IA Lethal Injections, the biggest sealed specs were 1.4ft^3 for each sub. This is my first time dealing with a proper sealed setup and just wondered what the benefits to polyfill are in terms of adjusting the Q?

per Vance Dickason adding stuffing can:

15% - 25% i volume

increase efficiency as much as 15%

potentially change moving mass of the system decreasing system efficiency

damping losses

reduce coloration due to reflections in an enclosure

He spends 6 pages on the subject.  You basically use formulas to calculate Q, then add or remove stuffing and recalculate. 

per Vance Dickason adding stuffing can:

15% - 25% i volume

increase efficiency as much as 15%

potentially change moving mass of the system decreasing system efficiency

damping losses

reduce coloration due to reflections in an enclosure

He spends 6 pages on the subject.  You basically use formulas to calculate Q, then add or remove stuffing and recalculate. 

Thanks for that tidbit, I will definitely be getting that book soon to learn more.

its definitely a good read. and inverting the subs does not affect output at all providing everything else remains the same. now inverting when you keep the same enclosure will change things because your changing the net volume/tuning.

Can it be good to stuff polyfill in a (too small) ported box ?
I guess it needs to be well glued because it can go away by the port.

What can be the effects on the box tuning, and volume ?