J2phat4u

Bass question?

I was wondering if anyone else experience a change in bass when adding volume. When I play my BL 12's at low to right below half volume they slam deep but if I go to half volume or more they play loud but not as deep anymore?

are you clipping your system? after looking at all the equipment you have you might be sending a distorted signal to your woofers after the midway point.

Edited by benz280se

It could be a huge number of things.  About the only way to tell if it's actually a change in the system response or a change in your hearing (your hearing isn't linear with SPL, it compresses the low frequencies more at higher SPL's) is to put is on an RTA and see if the actual system response is changing in the manor in which you describe.  Once you verify the change in actual frequency response (if it exists) and see what changes and where, you can start to deduce causes.

Otherwise we're just throwing shit at the wall to see if any of it sticks.

I was wondering if anyone else experience a change in bass when adding volume. When I play my BL 12's at low to right below half volume they slam deep but if I go to half volume or more they play loud but not as deep anymore?

Did you use a scope to set your gains?  I am running four 12" FI Qs myself and I also happen to be using two 2500-1bdcp amps on my four subs.  If you used a scope to set your gains which I hope you did, you would want to go no louder than an offset of -6 db.  Even that is pushing it a little far, but is safe.  Otherwise if you set your gains by hand instead, then chances have it that the amp is just going into clipping.  I know that it sucks, but adding two more of those amps in the future will only make it easier on the existing two.  I'm in the same boat myself.  Otherwise turning the gain down a tad will solve your problem provided that you are happy with the spl.

Did you use a scope to set your gains?  If you used a scope to set your gains which I hope you did, you would want to go no louder than an offset of -6 db.  

Not true at all.

Did you use a scope to set your gains?  If you used a scope to set your gains which I hope you did, you would want to go no louder than an offset of -6 db.  

Not true at all.

I guess you must have figured out the orginal posters problem as you are sure quick to comment on a question that wasn't directed at you.

Edited by rizzo30

Not true at all.

I guess you must have figured out the orginal posters problem as you are sure quick to comment on a question that wasn't directed at you.

So because you didn't direct your question at me I should let you spew misinformation? Sorry that I made you have a temper tantrum by telling you that you were wrong. 

Now let's start this over positively. Poster, what do you think the problem may be?

It could be a huge number of things.  About the only way to tell if it's actually a change in the system response or a change in your hearing (your hearing isn't linear with SPL, it compresses the low frequencies more at higher SPL's) is to put is on an RTA and see if the actual system response is changing in the manor in which you describe.  Once you verify the change in actual frequency response (if it exists) and see what changes and where, you can start to deduce causes.

Here^^^ is some useful info, and unless the OP can better explain what is happening "we're just throwing shit at the wall to see if any of it sticks."

Now let's start this over positively. Poster, what do you think the problem may be?

Here^^^ is some useful info, and unless the OP can better explain what is happening "we're just throwing shit at the wall to see if any of it sticks."

I agree. Op let's start off with your voltage. What does it read when this change happens?

Not true at all.

So because you didn't direct your question at me I should let you spew misinformation? Sorry that I made you have a temper tantrum by telling you that you were wrong. 

I gave him misinformation?  Because I told him that he could be clipping?  Or the fact that he is setting his gains blindly if not using a scope?  Yeah, I guess thats misinformation. 

Yes it is misinformation. You don't set gains with an occiliscope, especially a class D amp. And you will not hear a sub that is recieving a clipped signal unless its an incredibly clipped signal. Sub frequency distortions are not audible until 20% distortion.

Yes it is misinformation. You don't set gains with an occiliscope, especially a class D amp. And you will not hear a sub that is recieving a clipped signal unless its an incredibly clipped signal. Sub frequency distortions are not audible until 20% distortion.

Huh?  You couldn't be any more wrong.  Setting your gains with an oscilloscope is the only way to set your gains.  Unless you want to push your amps into clipping, then by all means go ahead and turn that volume knob all the way up.  But for those of us that want to set our gains correctly, an oscilloscope is the only way to do it correctly.  Remember, you are matching the amp to your headunit.  Once again, you are also wrong about distortion.  Distortion will not be audible until your amp is putting out double of what it is capable of.  That is also another reason why you would use an oscilloscope.  The human ear is not enough to go off of to tell if the amp is clipping or not.  This is not misinformation.  This is the only way to set your gains so that you do not risk damaging your subs while getting the most out of your amps.

Okay man...

Huh?  You couldn't be any more wrong.  Setting your gains with an oscilloscope is the only way to set your gains.  Unless you want to push your amps into clipping, then by all means go ahead and turn that volume knob all the way up.  But for those of us that want to set our gains correctly, an oscilloscope is the only way to do it correctly.  Remember, you are matching the amp to your headunit.  Once again, you are also wrong about distortion.  Distortion will not be audible until your amp is putting out double of what it is capable of.  That is also another reason why you would use an oscilloscope.  The human ear is not enough to go off of to tell if the amp is clipping or not.  This is not misinformation.  This is the only way to set your gains so that you do not risk damaging your subs while getting the most out of your amps.

This isn't the place for this, it isn't helpful for the original poster.  

If you would like to discuss the merits of an oscilloscope to set gains, and the difference between audible distortion and "sub damaging" gains, start a thread. (Or read some of the advanced discussions on this etc).

Just for reference to anyone reading this thread, everything in this quoted post is wrong.  Pretend you didn't read it and forget the information immediately.

I think he is from the suck my dick forum... Just a hunch

I was just thinking the same thing as I read this thread.

The op's issue is impossible to diagnose via a forum thread. we need way more info as previously stated. 

If you don't understand why a scope is not the best way to set your gains then please forget what you think you know and stick around, put your ego aside, open your mind, and learn something.