nigel

CCA vs OFC is there really a big difference?

You hit the nail on the head.  Especially with the skin effect comments of copper cladding on the CCA, because there is no skin effect with DC.  This is just one of the myths that perpetuates with this stuff...

I'm sorry. I will quit talking now

No, don't quit talking, ever.  Just don't help perpetuate this myth.  Car audio is full of this crap.  This site is supposed to help people.  When certain things are said (in error) all they do is keep the dumb people dumber.  I have no doubt you understand this thread, just be careful with what you say as you will confuse the crap out of others.

Okay I like you. You are a chill dude. Do you know how to create battery terminals from scratch?

No, don't quit talking, ever.

this is why I started this thread. I find in car audio especially, there are a ton of myths and misrepresentations, and a lot of dishonesty. When people stop talking and learning, these myths/misrepresentations start getting passed around as truths, and people spend money on things that they shouldn't.

I've lost count of the systems I've seen where a guys is running a 1200 watt mono block in a subcompact with a 90 amp alt, and thinks that the capacitor the guy at (insert box store/sleazy salesman name here) sold him has solved all of his issues...

When I started buying car audio 13 years ago, I didn't see any CCA wire, everywhere had just copper or 99% pure OFC (what they advertised). Now I'm seeing CCA kits, rated to carry the same amperage as OFC for 2/3 the price with salesguys saying the standard "electrical current is carried on the outside of the wire, therefore the copper cladding is all you need, this wire is just as good for less of a cost...." Have I mentioned I don't like most sales guys I meet...

I guess I'm just at a point where I like to see intelligent conversation started based on factual information so that those who may not necessarily have the technical know how can easily see the reasons behind the why and how of this hobby/profession/obsession.

On that note, I personally am not currently in the market for wire, was just looking for some info to feed my addiction. And a big thanks to those that have answered, I love a good discussion.

And a big thanks to 95Honda, have always found your posts to be very informative and helpful, I remember reading your posts on soundillusions.net when I first got into this.

And another big thanks to djjdnap for the info from bcae1.com, have loved that site for years.

Audio constantly changes so therefore we are in this together to help each other grow Edited by mlcantin

No, don't quit talking, ever. Just don't help perpetuate this myth. Car audio is full of this crap. This site is supposed to help people. When certain things are said (in error) all they do is keep the dumb people dumber. I have no doubt you understand this thread, just be careful with what you say as you will confuse the crap out of others.
Okay I like you. You are a chill dude. Do you know how to create battery terminals from scratch?

You need to just private message him.

Don't know how accurate these two different manufactures graphs are but they appear to be the same info. Looks like the difference at 75c for 1/0 is 30 amps? So aluminum would need to be priced at ~77 cents on the dollar to make it comparable to copper?

http://cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts

http://www.allenelectric.com/referencedata/ampacity.htm

No, don't quit talking, ever. Just don't help perpetuate this myth. Car audio is full of this crap. This site is supposed to help people. When certain things are said (in error) all they do , keep the dumb people dumber. I have no doubt you understand this thread, just be careful with what you say as you will confuse the crap out of others.

You need to just private message him.

Would you delete my post please?

Don't know how accurate these two different manufactures graphs are but they appear to be the same info. Looks like the difference at 75c for 1/0 is 30 amps? So aluminum would need to be priced at ~77 cents on the dollar to make it comparable to copper?

http://cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts

http://www.allenelectric.com/referencedata/ampacity.htm

But what both those charts fail to mention is voltage drop due to differences in specific resistivity of the two different metals.  

And in our environment where a lot of people have issues already with voltage drop due to the strain they're putting on their electrical system (ie. stock batt, alt, and not upgraded power/ground under hood) using a subpar cable that is causing more voltage drop can cause problems.  Our amplifiers are designed to be functional in a certain voltage range, when you start forcing it to try to operate outside that range, you are going to start causing damage.

And in my experience, most people willing to cheap out on wire, are also cheaping out elsewhere, and are the most prone to issues down the road.  My last set up I ran for 7 years (2 amps, sub and components) just sold both amps and still have sub and components in working order back in their boxes in the garage.  But I've seen others lucky to get 1 year out of their equipment before running into problems...

You hit the nail on the head.  Especially with the skin effect comments of copper cladding on the CCA, because there is no skin effect with DC.  This is just one of the myths that perpetuates with this stuff...

Quoted for truth ! 

I've had the skin effect discussion a bajilion times with "installers" around here. It's DC current, there's no skin effect.

Myths help sell products so for somebody who cares more about their pocket than actually getting things right they are an invaluable tool. 

Quite a good topic. :)

Very informative thread for sure!

I've always used CCA based on the price difference. I can run 3 runs of CCA to one run of OFC, which carries more then? 

I think knu kolossus 1/0 ofc is great wire but I just hate working with it trying to fit in connectors & fuse holders is a bee-otch. I have some Audio technix 1/0 its a lot easier to deal with. I use ofc but it is pricy there are a lot of hybrid wires that have a mix of both out there like audio technix ga wire, stc designs wire & have wondered how they stack up to ofc.

CCA cost 1/3 of Welding Cable?  I have never seen it that cheap...  1/0 Welding is pretty much $2 a foot...

CCA cost 1/3 of Welding Cable?  I have never seen it that cheap...

I'm comparing OFC 5000+ strand count to CCA 5000+ strand count.

CCA cost 1/3 of Welding Cable?  I have never seen it that cheap...

I'm comparing OFC 5000+ strand count to CCA 5000+ strand count.

Why?  1/0 Excelene is $2 a foot.  There is your benchmark for price/performance.

If you insist on 5000 strand OFC "Car Audio" wire you are just buying in to hype and paying for looks...

personally I try to hide all my wiring as best as possible, so I don't care if it looks pretty. And besides, what is so wrong with plain black wire? Myself my power is red and my ground is black, but I've had this wire for about 7 years now, and in multiple vehicles. Everytime my vehicle changes I pull out the system and wiring, look it all over and inspect it for any possible damage, then re-install. So money well spent for me.

I see no need for blue/silver/pink/purple/green etc... When someone tells me that they can get wire in all different jacket colours all I see are $ signs.

1/0 OFC welding cable can get pretty damn cheap. This is where I get my wire. They have "remnant sales" of loose ends they sell for even cheaper with free shipping from time to time. They update their pricing every month by what copper costs.

http://www.electronbeam.com/weldingcablestandard.html

"July 2013 Pricing, EB-flex, Class K, Welding Cable
6g (16 mm sq) EBT Part No. 31-PXL...... $0.48 per foot
4g (23 mm sq) EBT Part No. 46-PXL...... $0.75 per foot
2g (35 mm sq) EBT Part No. 69-PXL...... $1.10 per foot
1g (43 mm sq) EBT Part No. 84-PXL...... $1.34 per foot
1/0 (54 mm sq) EBT Part No. 107-PXL...... $1.67 per foot
2/0 (68 mm sq) EBT Part No. 134-PXL...... $2.07 per foot
3/0 (85 mm sq) EBT Part No. 168-PXL...... $2.60 per foot
4/0 (109 mm sq) EBT Part No. 214-PXL...... $3.33 per foot

Check back weekly for our weekly specials."