nigel

CCA vs OFC is there really a big difference?

So, I've noticed recently that just about every wire company has bot OFC and CCA wire available, with OFC being the higher end line.

My question is, In a car audio environment, where my power wire run will be no greater than 17 ft, is the difference in conductivity enough to make a noticeable  (to me as an average consumer) difference?  If not overdrawing or improperly fused?

As an example: 4 awg run 60 amp fuse less than 12" from battery to amplifier that has a max current draw of 60 amps with a total length of the run being 12 ft?  Amp ground at 18" on 4awg as well?

Or say doing big 3 upgrade with 1/0 wire running above mentioned equipment/main power run to the back?

Edited by nigel

Get the OFC. It's way better. Also look at welding cable. It's cheaper than car audio cable and does the job just as good.

Yes there is. Copper or tinned ofc copper is the only way to go if you are pushing the limits. If you are going to use 1/0 cca in place of 4 ga. copper then you maybe just fine. you need a larger ga. cca wire to handle the same as a smaller ga. ofc copper.

Yes there is. Copper or tinned ofc copper is the only way to go if you are pushing the limits. If you are going to use 1/0 cca in place of 4 ga. copper then you maybe just fine. you need a larger ga. cca wire to handle the same as a smaller ga. ofc copper.

True. People like to go cheap but ofc is definitely better wire for sure

No, there is no difference in properly sized wire.

Quentin, care to explain why? As your answer is the opposite of the previous 4.

I ask this question, as from all the kits/wires that I have seen, manufacturers are rating CCA and OFC for the same amount of current per size, and coming with the same size fusing.  What I'm wondering is if CCA's conductivity is able to carry the same current with out a noticeable voltage drop (at the length being used in a car environment 17  feet or less per se), thus able to perform the same then why pay more?  I realize that yes OFC is more conductive, but then I'm not trying to run 100 feet of wire at max capacity either.

That being said, I already have mine wired, running 12 feet of 4 awg OFC for a 60 amp current draw.  Just trying to sastisfy my curiosity and make people think is all.

Edited by nigel

No, 1/0 copper and 1/0 aluminum.  Wire is sized based on voltage loss over a given length not the physical OD.  properly sized 1/0 aluminum will always be bigger than 1/0 copper since of course copper is more conductive.  However it is still 1/0.  Therefore if you can find properly sized 1/0 aluminum wire it will be no different than properly sized 1/0 copper.

No, wire is based purely on size. That is why they suggest buying a larger gauge if you go with CCA rather than OFC. OP please just buy welding cable. You will will be much happier :)

some will not like my response.....

but to cut right to the meat of it... at your run length and draw. get what you can afford.

You can get almost double the wire by going to CCA and thus being able to carry a bit more current. 

I don't use CCA on my amps though. 

^^ No.  Welding cable is not 2X as expensive as CCA.

CCA is not just aluminum.

This has nothing to do with car audio installation wire but pure aluminum cable is very cheap compared to copper alternative in MCM.

I can get 690A capable aluminum cable for less than it costs to purchase 4/0 super-flex welding cable which is only capable of slightly more than half that ampacity.

But, it will not bend hardly at all. The diameter of the aluminum i believe is around 1.125", very large and very not-flexible, hehe.

Point is- if there were some super-flex lower gauge aluminum only wire, i would probably purchase it simply because the cost is so cheap and can easily compensate for the appropriate size of amp requirement while still being cheaper than copper.

I'm running Stinger 1/0 CCA wire for power (from front to back of the car), for 5 years. I did not know the difference when I bought it.

Will I notice anything if I change it and use OFC 1/0 wire for power ? Will taht be audible ? Worth the work  ?

I'm running Stinger 1/0 CCA wire for power (from front to back of the car), for 5 years. I did not know the difference when I bought it.

Will I notice anything if I change it and use OFC 1/0 wire for power ? Will taht be audible ? Worth the work  ?

Unless it's limiting your amperage by half of what OFC would do (which it isn't), than I can't imagine you hearing any audible difference.

OK, I don't need to worry ! Thanks Stefan.

For my next build, when I get a new car, I'll try to get OFC wire for power and grounds. It's a little bit more expensive, but it will not cost me an arm !

I know how to save to buy what I want or need :)

Just make sure everyone understands a few things from this thread:

CCA and Copper of the same AWG are the exact same size.

CCA does not have the same current carrying capability as Copper of the same AWG.

The copper coloring of CCA is very thin plating that doesn't really help much.  It is mostly there for looks.

There are no performance advantages whatsoever for CCA.

CCA has more resistance and therefore voltage drop of the same AWG Copper cable.

Just make sure everyone understands a few things from this thread:

CCA and Copper of the same AWG are the exact same size.

CCA does not have the same current carrying capability as Copper of the same AWG.

The copper coloring of CCA is very thin plating that doesn't really help much.  It is mostly there for looks.

There are no performance advantages whatsoever for CCA.

CCA has more resistance and therefore voltage drop of the same AWG Copper cable.

These are facts that should not be ignored. Never skimp on material if you want the best foundation possible for your system.

what if were talking budget. lets say one could afford only 1 run of ofc or 2 runs of cca.

what do you choose?

i have my answer in my head, but i'd like to see what others will say

what if were talking budget. lets say one could afford only 1 run of ofc or 2 runs of cca.

what do you choose?

This is what i did with my last build.

When 1 run of copper cost as much as 2 runs of CCA, i go CCA.  It can handle more current and less voltage drop.

I make my own fuse blocks, termination points, etc so it's well worth it in my case.

what do you choose?

When 1 run of copper cost as much as 2 runs of CCA, i go CCA.  It can handle more current and less voltage drop.

I make my own fuse blocks, termination points, etc so it's well worth it in my case.

Copper handles more current and has less voltage drop. You have the terminology backwards my friend.

what do you choose?

Copper handles more current and has less voltage drop. You have the terminology backwards my friend.

No, you are not understanding this thread.

Copper vs CCA or aluminum is better but not 2x CCA vs 1x copper, lol.

2x 1/0 CCA has the capability of being just as strong if not stronger than 4/0-300MCM Copper.

what do you choose?

No, you are not understanding this thread.

Copper vs CCA or aluminum is better but not 2x CCA vs 1x copper, lol.

2x 1/0 CCA has the capability of being just as strong if not stronger than 4/0-300MCM Copper.

My apologies. I thought you were comparing the same gauge wire. Do you make battery terminals by chance?