sundownz

Sundown 6.5 Subwoofer Project

2013-06-05%2015.47.23.281_x.jpg

Little project I've been working on for a while... first prototype rolled out yesterday. It about 4 1/8" deep -- power handling and other specs will be announced once we finalize the coil (several variations will be tested).

Every part was custom tooled; frame, diaphragm, dust cap, spider, surround, etc, etc. It also features an aluminum pole cap to lower distortion even further.

Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available =)

We did go with a 2" coil on it as well -- which is a bit different from
most 6.5" sub-woofers. Plus the aluminum diaphragm will also soak up
some heat as well. Thermally it will be very robust; power handling will
be more related to mechanics. The flat piston diaphragm opened up a
good bit more usable x-mech up top for us -- but I won't be going overly
stiff with it as I want a reasonable Qts and Fs from it.

Also... I mis-typed the shorting cap is copper not aluminum.

Is this part of the JF line?

Id like a couple of these :)

I'll be sure to do videos when it arrives here for sure; right now we are doing testing at our factory with various coils to determine which configuration we move forward with testing here. It looks like CCAW as of now. I'll see about getting a video done at the factory as well so we can see it playing sooner smile.png

Here are specs with very little play time on the CCAW version :

Re : 2.9 ohms
Le : 0.44 mH
Fs : 44 Hz
Sd : 105.6 cm^2
BL : 11.282 TM
Qms : 8.7
Qts : 0.43
Qes : 0.46
Vas : 2.816 L
Cms : 117 uM/N
Mms : 75g
Sens : 79.1 dB 1w/1m

Ported box of 0.3 - 0.35 cubes tuned to 35-40 Hz looks very good.

-----

A few common questions :

1) Power handling is pending extended testing. The coil is about the
same size as what we use in the SA-8 v.2 but is CCAW rather than copper.
We will be mechanically limited on the rating.

2) The motor is 126mm and the cut-out is 140mm so there is wiggle room.
The only question is how easy it will be to mount with the terminals and
wire; will be doing some test-fitting when it arrives. We can still
tweak it as we did CNC frames for testing before making the mold.

3) The top-end response is pending a response graph which we should have this week.

4) Linear x-max is expected to be around 15mm one-way and we have close
to an inch one-way of x-mech for the soft parts and a few mm of padding
in the motor so the coil cannot bottom out.

Edited by sundownz

Few more pics for you guys :

2013-06-05%2015.46.36.767_x.jpg
* You can see the copper cap on the pole as well as the main diaphragm which is made from aluminum. This driver features a rubber surround as well which was chosen to help hit our FS target.

2013-06-05%2018.04.43.139_x.jpg
* It's finished off with an aluminum dust cap as well. So the whole front of the driver helps shed some of the heat. This is in addition to the CNC slits all around the bottom of the basket as well.

Personally I'd change the design or make a second version that focused on reaching further. A 6.5" midbass should play higher and doesn't quite need to play as low. As for a 6.5" sub, well I think everyone knows how I feel about 8's so...

Our goal is to have a true sub-woofer in the 6.5" format -- so I'm pretty happy with it. It's a specialty product that we've had quite a bit of call for.

We will have several mid-range / mid-bass products available as well -- the NS-6.5" mid (reference set) is more along the lines of what you are getting at.

When should we expect the ability to order?

When should we expect the ability to order?

I am curious about this too. This would be a really great sub for a little project I have going on.

As we get everything ironed out and fully tested we'll be able to make a time-line ; as of now I don't have a date.

Looks awesome can't wait to see it on the market.  Do you have any test videos yet?

Looks awesome can't wait to see it on the market.  Do you have any test videos yet?

Test videos are rather pointless. They show nothing of performance. Full t/s and torture testing would be way more interesting.

We are still developing the soft parts a bit at our factory; here is a video on the 2nd prototype with a small revision we made to the surround material :

"Early sample test. We are tooling a new spider to go with it as well. There is some high frequency sound which is a little bit of clipping of the source unit."

"Test at one frequency / maximum mechanical travel -- testing for ruggedness."

At this point we are beating them silly just to test ruggedness -- so we are pushing them well into mechanical noise territory to do so. When I get my hands on them I'll do more videos at varying levels of excursion, etc.

So what exactly is the target market with this?  Will it fit factory OEM 6.5" subs for a drop in replacement, or are you anticipating people will actually purchase a 6.5" sub in the car audio market as an aftermarket addition?

So what exactly is the target market with this? Will it fit factory OEM 6.5" subs for a drop in replacement, or are you anticipating people will actually purchase a 6.5" sub in the car audio market as an aftermarket addition?

People will buy it just because, look at how many people run multiple sa 8's. I'm definitely not saying that it makes sense but without knowing the final price, I'd be willing to bet they sell quite a bit of them. I've seen several "i need to get me 6 or 8 of them" posts already.

So what exactly is the target market with this?  Will it fit factory OEM 6.5" subs for a drop in replacement, or are you anticipating people will actually purchase a 6.5" sub in the car audio market as an aftermarket addition?

I would imagine their biggest target would be truck setups were space is very limited underneath the seats. I could be wrong.

So what exactly is the target market with this?  Will it fit factory OEM 6.5" subs for a drop in replacement,

or are you anticipating people will actually purchase a 6.5" sub in the car audio market as an aftermarket addition?

They are shallow enough to fit many factory apps; our dealers requested them as close to 4" as possible so they would work for that -- so yes, it's a target market for them.

I have a very nice application in my truck for them -- I'll be down-firing 8 of them behind the rear seats in a ported box.

How do they model in IB applications?