ncc74656

Fi build processes?

im curious as to how the back end functions at Fi. do orders come in, get qued, and built one at a time or batch jobs? are orders saved up until there is sufficient quantity to make it efficient for construction to begin or is it just on the fly?

Good question. Sure nick has answered it somewhere but I don't remember for sure

I dont work there, but..

Most companies have monthly reports that they base there production off of.

Now you can break that down even more and say that their are companies that buy in bulk and keep supplies in house

and there are companies that have supplies delivered weekly, monthy or by order.( I forget the marketing term)

So usually based off of past monthly reports they know what to expect and keep a minimum of supplies as to not use up all of there monies on products not in the budget.

And and on the topic of budget most companies have some type of yearly goal, broken down monthly.

so for instance if i have 1000$ and know for sure that i will need 5 subs made that cost 400$, payroll is 200$,

that leaves me with 400$ in the bank. It would make no since for me to make 2 more subs that i dont know for sure will sale that month and leaving the company broke.

Rather since they build to order and you pay up, it keeps there production going.

The problems arise when there are budget problem or orders spike that they didn't forsee.

Kinda like in the winter parts store know to stock up on de-icer and scrapers, while in the summer they stock up on AC recharges, but battery sales may stay constant all yr long.

I hope that made since i never really get a chance to use my business knowledge lol

IIRC they do their work in batches. More time efficient, which works better for everyone :)

I'm pretty sure they just work every day, they have a lot to do.

Fi isn't the only company they produce subwoofers for.

So if they get a order it get's qued in line with the others.

I'm pretty sure they just work every day, they have a lot to do.

Fi isn't the only company they produce subwoofers for.

So if they get a order it get's qued in line with the others.

True...but I have heard that they'll pick a model and knock out a bunch at once. I'm not positive but I do remember them doing something like that for the massive amount of holiday orders. For me I don't really care, I place my order and wait. Whether it is for a Fi sub or SSA, I just wait and think that some dudes that really know what they are doing are building a sub for me, in Vegas too! Can't beat that in my opinion.

Easier to machine and build in batch form..

When a machine isn't turning parts it's down for a tool change and a different set up to run different parts.

All orders are built to order, but orders are also done in batches as well. Makes our lives much easier.

We work every day..10-12 hours a day, somtimes more.

Easier to machine and build in batch form..

When a machine isn't turning parts it's down for a tool change and a different set up to run different parts.

All orders are built to order, but orders are also done in batches as well. Makes our lives much easier.

We work every day..10-12 hours a day, somtimes more.

When are you going to buy a smoker for the shop? ;)

Don't like steel in my food lol :)

I will keep the machines and floors clean so there would not be shaving in the food. :)

Yeah I'd like to get me a job in vegas @ Fi.  I work real hard. =]

Has anyone officially responded to this thread? I would love to hear more.

how long does it take to machine a sub from the time the CNC starts? i assume blocks of aluminum are ordered and the machine is right there to accept them and bore/lath them out? once the hard parts are built it takes time to glue it all together but from what ive seen thats only a 20 min processes or is it more work that what is done in a recone? does every sub go through any kind of test period such as X amount of time on X hz to test for mechanical failure? im not really sure i even know how a sub magnet is assembled. does anyone have a video of any sub being built from total scratch? id assume the processes is similar weather its a Fi, Kicker, SSA, explode, ect.

Haven't ever timed it..definitely not going to make a video of it as there's way too many ancient secrets there.

Bar stock has to be cut for poles, poles go for a ride in the lathes for the OD and chamfer, if they have cooling then they go into the CNC for the cooling channels to be machined into them, then they're ground, then they go into the tumbler to clean any burrs off which preps the surface for paint, then they're cleaned, painted, then they sit for assembly.

Top plates are pulled from raw forgings and turned down on the lathes, ID, OD, and then on the tracer lathe to get the profile that's desired, same thing with the back plates. Top plates are all cnc machined as well then all of the holes are tapped for the basket to mount to it. Then they're all tumbled, painted, baked etc.

From there magnets are sorted for size and quantity, bonded together, then the motors are assembled..after that baskets are put on the motors, soft parts are dropped in, magnetized, then they dry and are tested/cleaned/packed.

It's very time consuming, and yes it's far easier to order parts from overseas and import everything..it's just not our style simply because anybody can do that, look around :).

Haven't ever timed it..definitely not going to make a video of it as there's way too many ancient secrets there.

Bar stock has to be cut for poles, poles go for a ride in the lathes for the OD and chamfer, if they have cooling then they go into the CNC for the cooling channels to be machined into them, then they're ground, then they go into the tumbler to clean any burrs off which preps the surface for paint, then they're cleaned, painted, then they sit for assembly.

Top plates are pulled from raw forgings and turned down on the lathes, ID, OD, and then on the tracer lathe to get the profile that's desired, same thing with the back plates. Top plates are all cnc machined as well then all of the holes are tapped for the basket to mount to it. Then they're all tumbled, painted, baked etc.

From there magnets are sorted for size and quantity, bonded together, then the motors are assembled..after that baskets are put on the motors, soft parts are dropped in, magnetized, then they dry and are tested/cleaned/packed.

It's very time consuming, and yes it's far easier to order parts from overseas and import everything..it's just not our style simply because anybody can do that, look around smile.png.

Hell yes.  Fi 4 lyfe

forgot that all of the pole pieces have to be drilled and tapped..oops

forgot that all of the pole pieces have to be drilled and tapped..oops

No wonder my subs suffer from a little voice coil rub. :P

POAST!

i need visual references, im not sure what pole pieces are compared to a normal voice coil? i would love to see some company post a video on the entire processes in high def.

i need visual references, im not sure what pole pieces are compared to a normal voice coil? i would love to see some company post a video on the entire processes in high def.

Based on this post, you need to research how loudspeakers work.

No, they won't make a video. There are trade secrets involved in the build process.

There's visual reference..pictures i've posted before in some thread..somewhere..

"How its made" did a thing on how speakers are made if you want a video format.

u guys should get how its made to come out to your warehouse

i found that how its made video, a poor quality one but i got the jist of it. so in those pictures there are semi circles on the inside face of where the coil would go. thats for cooling yes? in the bottom picture there are 4 layers of plates. are they all magnetized and if so do they all hold the same field? anyone know of a video that explains in detail the mechanics of magnet fields inside of a sub?