DieseLife

The New Kicker Comp R

I know i just started another thread where within i asked about these, but figured a new thread would get more light on the subject especially since there seems to be no reviews on these yet.. I local shop has been installing these mostly in a 10" for smaller space systems like mine. Says they are pretty awesome, and blow the rockford p3's i was looking at clean away given my type of setup. He was explaining to me this new line is from a new sound engineer(?) kicker hired not to long ago to turn their line around to a better quality sub than their recent models. Could be BS for all i know. But this guy does have a huge wall FULL of big a** trophies and records, i believe he even mentioned something about a world record IIRC. Been in business for a long time here, sells kicker, JL, rockford, DD, etc. so it seems like he would have solid advice. He was suggesting i get two 4ohm comp R 10's, the cx1200.1 amp, switch the subs to 1ohm and wire them in series for a 2ohm load at the amp.

They feature 600w rms, 1200 max, ideal for .8cuft sealed boxes, and feature a selectable resistance. The 2ohm model can be changd from 2 to 8ohms, and the 4ohm model can be changed from 4 to 1ohm. They suggested driving these subs to their full potential with the newer Kicker cx1200.1 amp. They can be picked up for $130 online or at Best Buy, and most shops sell them for $160.

Anyone have experience with these new subs? Ever heard them in person? Is there really a new designer hored on at kicker changing things up? To good to be true?

Heres a link to the sub

http://www.kicker.com/CompR

Link to the Amp he suggested

http://www.kicker.com/CX_Amplifiers

They would have to be at an extremely good price for me to buy them. I'm partial to Incriminator but I'm not sure if they have any lower models in stock or sundown audio would be just as good. If their Sa model is shallow enough they would be a good option.

Fi and SSA are good options also as long as you don't mind waiting 1 1/2 months to receive the product.

The 4 ohm switches to 2 or 8. And 2 ohm to 1 or 4. It just wires it for you. Not change the coil

The 4 ohm switches to 2 or 8. And 2 ohm to 1 or 4. It just wires it for you. Not change the coil

That's what I was trying to say. They sell for $130 so its hard not to try them out. My other options in my prica range would be rockford p3, 300w incriminators, 500w sundown, 300w SSA, or Alpint type R. Geez the options...

Well they look like fine drivers, I wouldn't do any dancing if I got a pair though. The fact that the first link you posted took me to their page that says "The Hype" turned me off already lol.

Thought I put it in the first post, but I'm not looking to spend more than $150 per sub. Its going in my pick up.

lol this way every one can be an "installer" lol

i cant tell you how many people in my town  claim to be installers and have no clue to to wire up a sub properly or even WHY it has two coils or  any of the options of wiring. but are master installers lol

i once heard two "installers" talking and one said.. " ah see thats why your louder you have 4 ohms i only have 1 of them"

i loooooookkkkeeedd and i could not believe what i was hearing

Thought I put it in the first post, but I'm not looking to spend more than $150 per sub. Its going in my pick up.

So... DCON's it is.

lol this way every one can be an "installer" lol   i cant tell you how many people in my town  claim to be installers and have no clue to to wire up a sub properly or even WHY it has two coils or  any of the options of wiring. but are master installers lol   i once heard two "installers" talking and one said.. " ah see thats why your louder you have 4 ohms i only have 1 of them"  i loooooookkkkeeedd and i could not believe what i was hearing

Huh??? What are you talking about lol you lost me.

So... DCON's it is.

National back order

So... DCON's it is.

National back order

And? I'd rather wait for DCON's than go buy a Kicker.

So... DCON's it is.

National back order

And? I'd rather wait for DCON's than go buy a Kicker.

5+ months you would wait? That would kill me lol I'm not set on the kickers btw, just curious about this new line and if it might be sonething worth trying and provide feedback.

the wait is not that long,.

they have moved to a bigger location, and also hired more staff to cut the wait times WAY down...

they have moved to a bigger location, and also hired more staff to cut the wait times WAY down...

The DCONs are actually back ordered though, I'm assuming that they are waiting on parts.

The DCONs are actually back ordered though, I'm assuming that they are waiting on parts.

good call !

Go for dcons, Ive heard the new kicker comp 12s and although they are quite loud, they have no definition whatsoever. I guess it could've been the box, but In my opinion from what Ive heard out of them.. definitely not a good choice for SQ. Plus dcons are entirely in a different class when it comes to quality of the subwoofer itself.

No Dcons available ? Just get a single SSA Gcon or Icon with your budget for 2 subs.  Think about it ;)

No Dcons available ? Just get a single SSA Gcon or Icon with your budget for 2 subs.  Think about it wink.png

That is what I was going to suggest but I don't know if he has depth restrictions.

Looks like the max depth i can get is right at 9"

The ICON/XCON 10" mounting depth is 6.5" and recommends a .75cuft sealed box so that would work perfect. The 12" is the same depth but needs 1.25cuft. I have enough airspace under my back seat for 2 10's.

Would yall agree i should get a single 10" for now, that way i have enough airspace to add a second one later on? That or go with a 12", use up all the airspace, and call it quits.

Edited by DieseLife

lol this way every one can be an "installer" lol

i cant tell you how many people in my town  claim to be installers and have no clue to to wire up a sub properly or even WHY it has two coils or  any of the options of wiring. but are master installers lol

i once heard two "installers" talking and one said.. " ah see thats why your louder you have 4 ohms i only have 1 of them"

i loooooookkkkeeedd and i could not believe what i was hearing

Stupidity at its finest

ICON's are WAAAY nice.

Is 1 ICON gonna hit pretty darn hard or what? Again i have no experience with these brands so i must ask these questions. Lol

Is 1 ICON gonna hit pretty darn hard or what? Again i have no experience with these brands so i must ask these questions. Lol

1 ICON can get very loud.

They will hit hard but they are more sound quality oriented drivers. I promise though that you will not be disappointed if you purchase one