DieseLife

The New Kicker Comp R

Thought I put it in the first post, but I'm not looking to spend more than $150 per sub. Its going in my pick up.

So... DCON's it is.
National back order
And? I'd rather wait for DCON's than go buy a Kicker.
lol

I love ssa and their subs, but comments like this and the way you guys hate "mainstream" brands is petty.

Well.. Kicker subs are poorly made in my opinion, and a lot of other people think the same thing, a lot of people think differently also. Depends on what you've experienced with them.
Poorly made? Bullshit. A lot of other people don't think for themselves.

Are they an end all solution? No way, but a ton of their gear definitely has a place.

I concur.

Had a sales guy fry two different kicker subs in a showroom in front of me years ago, and try to tell me that the burnt coil smell was just the sub "breaking in" and was "normal" as smoke was coming out of the ports. Sort of turned me off of kicker, as if that's who they allow to represent/sell them, where else are they cutting corners?

Then they came out with the square subs, and said they had great sound quality....

Not saying they're a terrible company, their products do have their place and abilities, just turned me from them, and I worked at a shop who picked them up as a line, and sold and installed their products, still to this day I haven't had anything from them in any of my vehicles.

Edited by nigel

Had a sales guy fry two different kicker subs in a showroom in front of me years ago, and try to tell me that the burnt coil smell was just the sub "breaking in" and was "normal" as smoke was coming out of the ports. Sort of turned me off of kicker, as if that's who they allow to represent/sell them, where else are they cutting corners?

Don't know the entire situation, but if this was a shop it's not uncommon to run across an unknowledgeable sales associate.  Not really Kicker's fault.

Then they came out with the square subs, and said they had great sound quality....

They do, when used properly.

This newer Comp R is suppose to help turn their line around. Like i said i dont know if its teue or not, but supposedly they recently hired on a new feller that is building better designs than they previously had. But hey.. Who knows

I don't want it to seem like I think Kicker is crap because it's not by a long shot. I just don't use them anymore. I feel that there are better ways to spend my money. By no means do I dislike their product or have anything bad to say about them. That being said, I would be holding on for the brands offered on SSA's store.

Thought I put it in the first post, but I'm not looking to spend more than $150 per sub. Its going in my pick up.

So... DCON's it is.

National back order

And? I'd rather wait for DCON's than go buy a Kicker.

lol

I love ssa and their subs, but comments like this and the way you guys hate "mainstream" brands is petty.

Well.. Kicker subs are poorly made in my opinion, and a lot of other people think the same thing, a lot of people think differently also. Depends on what you've experienced with them.

Poorly made? Bullshit. A lot of other people don't think for themselves.

Are they an end all solution? No way, but a ton of their gear definitely has a place.

I said in my opinion, obviously there is a lot worse. Sure there's a niche for it, but for real quality I think there are a lot better choices.

Great first time subs though, which is mainly who the largest buyers of kicker subs are. That being said I hold my statement, They are definitely not my cup of tea.

This newer Comp R is suppose to help turn their line around. Like i said i

dont know if its teue or not, but supposedly they recently hired on a

new feller that is building better designs than they previously had. But

hey.. Who knows

As I said in another thread, or this one I forget... Ive heard the new comps, and they are loud as hell for 12s on small amounts of power.

They might be a good choice for beginners looking for SPL instead of SQ. Although I haven't heard them sealed, so maybe SQ is an option with them.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Well, after I sold off all of my competition gear a few years ago I wanted to get loud again cheap. I modified a box I had 2 15" Fi Q's in and then 2 DC Lvl 4 XL's which netted me a 153 on the dash. Working at best buy at the time I was able to get a killer vendor deal on kicker product and went with 6 10" CVR's, changed the baffle on the box, and threw them on a ap3k.  Damn was I impressed. Didn't have the authority in the lower range as the mechanical travel just wasn't there to move the air, but I really beat on'em with no issues and couldn't get over how close in volume they were to the 15's, never metered, but was pretty damn impressed.  

Now another story.  I just purchased a 12" comp RT for my truck to use with a RFT500.1bdcp I found for a steal on ebay.  Sub was bad out of the box....first time this ever happened to me.  It barely vibrated enough just to feel it, I left it hooked up and went out that night, on the way home it burped real quick and then was done, even gave off a bit of a smell.  I had a Treo 15" SSi sitting at home as well waiting to go in the car, so hooked it up just to be sure the amp I bought wasn't F'ed up. Sure enough it played great.  

I feel RF's power series amps are on another level than any amp kicker puts out, but on the woofer side kicker definitely wins the mainstream battle, just have to be aware quality control is not going to be the same as an SSA, Fi, AA, Sundown, etc.  but design is good, and tough to beat per dollar when looking for entry level.  Once you get to $300+/woofer I can't see spending the money 

just my .02 cents on that matter