Sign in to follow this  
Jacob86

Amp cuts at half volume and when I try and make a call

I have a alpine PDX F6 & amp; M6 and they have been working great since I installed them a few weeks ago. Yesterday I tried to make a call via bluetooth and it sent the F6 into protection. Turned the head unit on and off amp resets and comes back on, now I can not turn the volume up with out the amp going into protection. The bluetooth is what has me the most stumped.

Any help on where to start trouble shooting would be great.

Thanks

Edited by Jacob86

No change, also added a star washer to improve my ground also with no change

Edited by Jacob86

Turned the gains down all different levels still cuts out around the same spot

Was this the first time u tried making a call with it?

What are you using for bluetooth?  Headunit with built-in capability or add-on module?

How did you disable BT when suggested to earlier?

I would unplug the BT mic from wherever it's plugged up to and see if the amp still goes into protect.

I'm using the bluetooth built into my Alpine INE-S920HD.

You are able to disable the BT in the setting.

Unplug mic from headunit and see if amp goes into protect.

If it does, then unplug remote wire going into all your amps and jump them directly to your power line for testing and see if they ever go into protect while wired liked that.

It's all alpine. I'd just call them.

In my experience with their tech support.. they don't or can't really help you troubleshoot installation products and can only speculate on possibilities.  If they said anything worthwhile to this case, it would be to send in the unit, lol.

I would personally call them once all easy troubleshooting has been done that way you can help them deduce what is going on with your installation.

I believe it's a pinched\loose wire somewhere that is interrupting the BT and\or other external equipment.

Or they could say, Oh yea we have problems with the firmware and the head unit is sending ground thru the remote turn on on the amp when blue tooth is activated. All you have to do is update it.

A 5 minute phone call isn't going to hurt anything.

Been out of town this weekend, I try this out and let you know if it works

Unpluged the mic and it still goes into protect

Jumped the remote wire and it also still goes into protect 

It seems to be a problem with the power wire.  If i jiggle it the amp goes into protect.  Im going to replace it and see what happens.  Also the wire does not seem to be damaged

At a loss now

Replaced the power wire off the distribution block to the amp same problem.

Tried hooking up the power wire to where the sub amp is hooked to, wont go into protect when jiggled but same problem as before

Unhooked the main power wire and wired it up to an old ground distribution block and the 4 channel still goes into protect

Lastly i pulled the power connection plug off the sub amp and put it on the 4 channel still goes into protect just like before.

So I believe that one of the terminals on the power block is loose and not working properly, but this still leaves me with original problem 

At this point, i'd run a new temp line straight from battery to amp(fused of course).

What are your ohm loads at the amp?

Also I ran just the sub amp and it went up to full volume and ran with no problems

That definitely sounds like you have resistance build up somewhere if only 1 of 2 amps can stay on on same power line.

Low voltage is what it sounds like.

I have been testing with the remote wire disconnected to the sub amp.  

I running a a high current knukonceptz inline fuse now but when I installed a touched the wires and blew the 3 60 amps fuses.  All I had on hand was a single 150 to replace with.

Pulled out some old 0ga from my old truck with a different inline fuse (150) and ran directly to the 4 channel, still goes into protect.  I had hooked back the remote to the deck so ill have to go out a try it jumped.

Im running 0ga batt to the block and 4 ga out if it so im not sure how it couldnt be getting enough power

Also it still cuts out when trying to make a bluetooth call as soon and the other line picks up, even with the mic unplugged 

ok, then only other thing i can think of that would make it shut the sound off to the amp when call happens is a problem with the signal cables.

But, about the power- if you run a totally separate cable to the amp from the battery and you physically measure the voltage at the amp when playing and when it goes into protect and it's well within range, then either the amp is too hot, the amp is wired too low, the amp's signal input section is damaged or is protecting from something wrong with the signal or the amp itself is damaged.

ill take a look at those thing but I have to get the truck but in a semi working order so I can go to work now

Thanks for all your help shizzzon

FIXED!!!!

It was the drivers side rear RCA, unplugged it and full volume and bluetooth calls all work.  Just going to leave to go until get a new wire and have time to replace it.

Again thanks so much for all your help figuring this out

Edited by Jacob86