altoncustomtech

Accidentally picked this up... Zapco goodness.

Well, I didn't mean to buy it but I'm glad to have it, at least for now, lol.  Found an auction for a used AG650 in great working shape with 5 days left to go.  I tossed in a bid $5 higher than the current high bid and was the high bidder.  I figured for sure someone would have come in and outbid me fast on it, but nope, I ended up winning it.  Yay for me, I think.  I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or not, so if anyone's interested you can always make me an offer, lol.  So anyway, onto a few pictures for shits and giggles.

Larger than I expected it to be.

1DE95DE9-1C15-4EAF-A4B7-F876FE1EF1D7-875

It's in beautiful shape with only a few minor scratches.

BD26EE3B-6E9A-40F4-AD68-F474F5CF65A1-875

Good score. I personally love older zapco

Wow is that amp huge!! What would you do with it?

Damn man. Nice ass amp!!!

J

Hook up speakers to it... My shot in the dark

No shit lol I'm asking what speakers he would use and in what vehicle.

Damn you, that is one of my top three all time multi-channel amplifiers.

Very nice!

I had a buddy in high school that had one of those running his entire system in an integra. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay?

If you don't want it, I'll take it.

Be glad it's white, otherwise I would have cursed you. I SOOOO want another black Zapco AG. Fucking Jeep is tiny inside and I can't fit 2 big AGs sad.png

That amplifier looks like it is too big to even fit in my car

I'm partial to the Studios myself.

Thanks everybody.  It's my first time owning a Zapco amp and I have absolutely NO idea what I'm going to do with it, lol.

No shit lol I'm asking what speakers he would use and in what vehicle.

NO idea dude.  Didn't expect to buy it, had no real intentions of winning the auction so there's no plans for it right now at all.  It's going with the rest of the audio stash for the moment until a use presents itself.

Damn you, that is one of my top three all time multi-channel amplifiers.

Really?  Have you been looking for one?

I had a buddy in high school that had one of those running his entire system in an integra. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay?

I'd rather not say.  At this point however, I will say it looks like I got it a little cheaper than most of the prices I've seen them go for when I go looking around.

If you don't want it, I'll take it.

I haven't said I don't want it yet, lol.  :P

That amplifier looks like it is too big to even fit in my car

It measures 32.5" long by 9.5" wide by 2" tall.  I don't have a freaking clue what the hell I could fit it in either, lol.

Nice amp, the helmet is sick.

Thanks.  Would you believe I picked that helmet up at the Goodwill for $25?  Yes, really.

amp looks sick! ive never really understood the idea behind a single amp to power everything tho. i suppose for a mom or dad to have a rounded slightly upgraded from factory system it would be nice? it lists 50W rms per channel, seems very light for any kind of real system. or am i missing something here?

amp looks sick! ive never really understood the idea behind a single amp to power everything tho. i suppose for a mom or dad to have a rounded slightly upgraded from factory system it would be nice? it lists 50W rms per channel, seems very light for any kind of real system. or am i missing something here?

It's perfect for a 2 way active front stage and a sub.

It's also a high quality amp. There's a difference in what you would get from this as compared to a cheap amp of the same power rating. The power supply, output stages, etc. are generally overbuilt for what it's rated whereas on something cheaper those same parts of the amp are sized and built to just cover the rating, if that. That's one reason there's such a big difference in cost between quality amps and cheap ones (likewise for other equipment as well). In order for them to be built cheaper some corner(s) has to be cut to cut the cost of production, that's just the way it is. Now, a watt of power is a watt of power and when you're comparing a quality amp to a cheaper amp at lower volume levels a person shouldn't be able to hear any difference unless there's a problem in the amp that colors the signal due to a bad design or low quality parts, but for the benefit of the doubt we'll say they're the same. However, when you increase the volume and start to run the amps hard the difference will start to show itself. The cheaper amp, with it's smaller power supply with less overhead capacity will run out of steam sooner, it won't be able to supply the voltage the output stage is looking for and it will clip the signal causing distortion. The quality amp, with it's larger power supply with it's overhead capacity will be able to handle those dynamics, or peaks in the music better and therefore have less clipping and distortion.

Now, that's a very BASIC explanation of the difference between a quality amp and a cheap one and basically the difference between this and a Boss amp, for example. There is WAY WAY WAY WAY more to do with it than that, I'm only trying to simplify it for the sake of not turning this into a major debate. It is true, an amplifier will (should) simply raise the amplitude of the input signal, no colorations, distortions, or otherwise changes in the signal except for amplitude, and in most cases amps do exactly that. The only real difference is when you start calling for MAXIMUM output from the equipment. The higher quality designs and built units will typically handle it better, running cooler, have less distortion and just a cleaner sound that in turn will make it seem as though they get louder, or are more powerful.

People will argue with all this, I'm sure. I just can't think of any better way to explain it. People get awfully hung up on numbers though, I know I used to. They don't realize that because music is so dynamic we rarely ever use an amp to it's full potential.

GREAT explanation bro!!!

J

YOu also have to remember that amp was 100% Made in the USA with 100% US made parts. 

missing a shit ton. Better question would be why isn't it enough?

i see what you are saying. to be clear its less about the cost difference and more about the general idea of a single amp that i was asking about. lets say the 50W is actually 75W. with that you could run a single speaker on each channel or a set of small components i suppose. ive got 400W going to each door speaker and i still dont think its loud enough. maybe im trying to compare apples to oranges here?

most component sets i have owned were around the 150W rms range. seems to me that the speakers you would have to sue on the all in one amps would have to be pretty small.

If you have 800 watts on your front stage and it isn't loud enough something is very wrong. Anyway as to not make a mess of this thread start a new one if you would like help.

Actually please do make a thread. im very curious as to how that much power isn't loud. i run 50x4 to my front stage and it gets pretty darn loud imo

you speak of there being a problem, perhaps that problem is me going deaf? ill make a thread once i have a real question to ask. i think i want to get a DB meeter so i can have some real numbers instead of "well it sounds quiet"