Tony Vang

smd dd1

Hi new to this and was wondering which track I should use for the dd1, I tried the -15 which was track 7 I think and it was loud which I liked but the other ones werent loud, if anyone can help me with this I would be appreciate it

Wrong site...

Fo sho!

You want the SMD forums. We don't polish turds around here.  Well, some of us do, but we realize it's still just shit.

Sell the DD1 and set the gain properly.

The reason why one track is louder than the other, is because music is dynamic, and so is the source from which you obtained the song from. That being said, it is clear to see why the dd-1 is a waste of a tool. Sure, it may sound great on Track A, but on Track B, its not the same, so are you gonna reset Track B to sound like Track A? Maybe, but then when you go back to play Track A, you blow a woofer or two. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Even Steve and his designer ran from discussion here as they realize they are selling a worthless POS

Ok thanks for letting me know

It's very useful when used as they designed it.  Their design principles however, are the foul here.  It's just another one of those "tools" that people think is cool and will buy on ignorance. 

This guy who is on Youtube and has done nothing more than stuff a bunch of woofers in an SUV on a bunch of power and run around recording people listening to his shit, and people think he's cool and he knows what he is doing.  The fact of the matter is, he's done nothing special, in fact, anyone could have done this.  He's taking advantage of his "popularity" to make a buck.  It's that simple, but people see his videos and they automatically assume this guy is really good with audio and knows what he is doing, so they'll listen to whatever he says.

He's a genius at self promotion though. 

The track recorded at -15db is loudest because it will allow for the least dynamic headroom but highest average power output from the system.  If you are listening to highly compressed music (basically anything newer, especially most rap, pop and rock music) then you are probably into the "unsafe" setting territory. 

The best idea however is to ditch the DD1 and set the gain by ear.

It's very useful when used as they designed it.  Their design principles however, are the foul here.  It's just another one of those "tools" that people think is cool and will buy on ignorance. 

This guy who is on Youtube and has done nothing more than stuff a bunch of woofers in an SUV on a bunch of power and run around recording people listening to his shit, and people think he's cool and he knows what he is doing.  The fact of the matter is, he's done nothing special, in fact, anyone could have done this.  He's taking advantage of his "popularity" to make a buck.  It's that simple, but people see his videos and they automatically assume this guy is really good with audio and knows what he is doing, so they'll listen to whatever he says.

He's a genius at self promotion though. 

The track recorded at -15db is loudest because it will allow for the least dynamic headroom but highest average power output from the system.  If you are listening to highly compressed music (basically anything newer, especially most rap, pop and rock music) then you are probably into the "unsafe" setting territory. 

The best idea however is to ditch the DD1 and set the gain by ear.

not going to comment on the dd-1 but can u please tell me how u set the gains by ear on a large mono amp and subs ? sure when clipping to the point that the subs are stinking is easy to detect but itrs not that easy when u have 7k amp and soft to moderate clip ... my local shop made the same claim so i tested their ability and the gains were off and according to them the h.u. was not to be used past 3/4 and infact the h.u. has no clip and the gain was off .i do agree that on a highs amp it can be done by ear .

People have been doing it for ever. 

all im saying is by ear can get u close but no way it can be set dead on .

I've never used anything but my brain for setting amps for the past eight+ years. The only failure that I have had was my first set of subs hooked up by a shop with an oscope. After that I learned how to do it myself and use my head.

Nothing can get you dead on is the point here. No one headunit/gain setting will be exactly the same for every song, period.

There are no tools you can use to set it "dead on" either. Music dynamics, Hell even power supply dynamics are enough to never have the ability to be constantly level matched. This is the basic fundamental flaw of the dd1.

There are no tools you can use to set it "dead on" either. Music dynamics, Hell even power supply dynamics are enough to never have the ability to be constantly level matched. This is the basic fundamental flaw of the dd1.
True, but i like to know where my amp is set up and even if it is not perfect it gets me close to the point that i want. I like to mess with music and edit the bass lines and i know that a lot of the music i listened to would do just fine with a -10 tone so thats what i used. I didnt have any issues with the songs except for a few that happened to be louder, then i had some clipping issues but i realized it and always turned the volume down on those songs. I also ended up buying a zed ra and set the compressor up around the tones level and now i never have any issues.

So if you can recognize that what is the point of paying for a tool that can't?

You could always see if you can find a device in the car audio world that incorporates a clipping suppressor like what many PA amps use to limit dirty signals but i will tell you now, it really limits the ability of an amp to go balls to the wall if you like to do that from time to time.

Clipping like most other things aren't bad by themselves, it's the duration it's in that state that can cause problems.

I've never used anything but my brain for setting amps for the past eight+ years. The only failure that I have had was my first set of subs hooked up by a shop with an oscope. After that I learned how to do it myself and use my head.

statements like that are plain ignorant so only dumb pepole use an  o-scope?

what i was refering to is setting the amp gain to match  head unit voltage . of course there are differant levels rthat music is recorded 

And you could have done that all by ear.

And you could have done that all by ear.

seiously tho u can detect where h.u. clips and set the gains properly by ear and nothing else ?

There's no need to find clipping. If the driver is in distress, your ear will detect it. Simple as that.

I've set my gain by ear all my systems and all of my friends systems. So about 20+ times of setting it. I have never blown a sub or had any failures.