Tony Vang

smd dd1

I don't listen to 40hz test tones, hence why it is pointless for music. ;)

That's cuz u ain't got no loud wufferlers

agreed it takes time and i never siad it would happen right away simply replying to why clippping its important to me

What amount of clipping is important to you?

I removed your efficiency comments as they don't make sense and until we conquer the reasons why you are so interested in clipping it is pointless to discuss anything else.

i agree its pointless to discuss this any further .

Another thing too as what Impious said.. 

If your subs get hot, it's not clipping all that much, it's the power you are driving to them.  

But more importantly what you said about clipping effects-

to me if your clipping the amp it creates heat ,efficency drop combine that to low imp and voltage drop and the amp blows before it shuts off.

Amp creates heat regardless but a shit ton on the sub(s) when their thermal rating is way far off from your amplifier's ability.

Efficiency DOES NOT DROP WHEN CLIPPING. IT GOES UP(in one of two reasons.. I do not know 100% but someone else here may)

I've measured output from amps before to see effects of different scenarios.

When full-blown clipping was induced- after a couple seconds(test tone), the output(wattage) would lower.  

What was happening was the voltage would slightly lower by a couple volts due to load sagging the rails but the current would start to go way down resulting in increased impedance.

Now, this is a prime example of power compression which is probably what is going on here but can this be caused by clipping alone?

Or does it just look like this because most stressed installs that clip induce power compression resulting in this scenario?

I don't listen to 40hz test tones, hence why it is pointless for music. wink.png

i now demo 40 hz test tones from youtube in my car.... i took a tip from the pros over at skar,  then used the DD1 and now im SMDSKARD

PSsh.. if u used a dd-1, then u gonna need twice as much junk in the trunk to do 40hz demos now.

I understand everyone's point, but.... How many of you go through with a scope and check the sine wave at your full bandwidth of frequencies? Probably just one. Pull out your little nano scope and set your gain with a w/e tone. 

The DD-1 is a quick, easy and simple tool. The only time it messes up, is when the operator messes up. 

I see a lot of pointless arguing in this thread. Most of it is simply you guys hate steve. Which is fine, a lot of people do. But the DD-1 works fine and does it's job well. I've set gains multiple ways and I still haven't ruined any equipment from how I've set gains. By ear, DMM, 2ch desktop full spectrum scope, DD-1.

You can still set gains with a scope, DMM with a -15db tone and still ruin shit.  I always run more power than I need, so I typically stick to 0db or -3db. 

I see a lot of pointless arguing in this thread. Most of it is simply you guys hate steve. 

Not my reason at all, it is a waste of money.

I understand everyone's point, but.... How many of you go through with a scope and check the sine wave at your full bandwidth of frequencies? Probably just one. Pull out your little nano scope and set your gain with a w/e tone. 

I doubt that any of us saying that a DD1 is useless use a scope to set gains.

Then what do you use? Just a DMM? Which has no sense for distortion?

Then what do you use? Just a DMM? Which has no sense for distortion?

You obviously didn't read this thread.

If you have audible distortion, you have an issue with your equipment or install.   Again, your ear is the tool here.  Why on earth would you need to measure something that is inaudible and will have no affect on anything?

I think the point is.... the environment in which the tests are performed are only accurate at the time they are tested and never again.... car never runs exactly the same voltage and the music is never just a 40hz or a 30hz or a 25hz or a 100hz tone.... it is VARIABLE... which then makes the so-called clipping variable which means it's never the same and never ever ever will you be 100% clip-free.... distortion free YES... but that is done by ears .... I used the DMM method and actually didn't feel comfortable going by an algorithm that isn't my car's actual numbers... 

You obviously can't hear everything. It's impossible. If you're running double, triple rms or more, you need to be precise. Not everyone's ear is attuned to hearing what is needed. At high levels of SPL, so many things come into play, that the human ear, just simply cannot detect. Harmonics and interference caused by the vehicle will drastically change what you "hear". Things can go way wrong before audible distortion.

With my setup I can hear audible clipping on particular songs one click on my head unit can mean clipping.. Or so what I believe it is, You can actually hear a difference in the tone of the note.. Granted my subs are 6" from my head.. Lol

The bass line seems to get quieter to my ears.. I dunno, lulz.

Edited by Julian

true... but I think the main focus here is that "most" people shouldn't be using a DD1 and then just going fcking haywire .... lol ...

also the double/triple RMS and high SPL argument is not valid particularly because 1. most wouldn't use it for their setup (maybe to find HU distortion?) 2. you can't hear anything at most high SPL levels... lol IMO

You obviously can't hear everything. It's impossible. If you're running double, triple rms or more, you need to be precise. Not everyone's ear is attuned to hearing what is needed. At high levels of SPL, so many things come into play, that the human ear, just simply cannot detect. Harmonics and interference caused by the vehicle will drastically change what you "hear". Things can go way wrong before audible distortion.

Edited by Shogen

I don't hate Steve Meade. His spot is just down the road. He's a marketing legend. People love to see his demo reactions and his work. He's a good guy. Doesn't mean the DD-1 is any less worthless. I'm not going to buy something just because someone tries to sell it to me. That would make me the sheep. Everyone here is a wolf.

i have an fi sp4 15 that can take 3k rms. my amp does ~1400. its okay to crank my gain up because my woofer can thermally take all that power? need some expert advice ;)

agreed it takes time and i never siad it would happen right away simply replying to why clippping its important to me

What amount of clipping is important to you?

I removed your efficiency comments as they don't make sense and until we conquer the reasons why you are so interested in clipping it is pointless to discuss anything else.

i agree its pointless to discuss this any further .
So you will come in blazing and attacking and won't answer a very rudimentary question? Even if you don't on the forum you should for yourself. My only goal was to try to make you think of the answer yourself as then you'll actually believe it, but either you did realize that your whole logic is flawed and don't want to post it or you are so brainwashed by the morons on SMD that you won't post. The first is okay, the second really sad.

armykyle1, on 10 Jun 2013 - 23:23, said:

Hopefully no one as that is a stupid way to set your gains. Of course if you read the thread you'd understand that.

The DD-1 is a quick, easy and simple tool. The only time it messes up, is when the operator messes up.

Umm, no. It's a POS that does nothing useful. I've even thrown out the challenge to Steve himself to offer up when it could be useful and he ran away and only wanted to discuss where he could edit or remove posts.

I see a lot of pointless arguing in this thread. Most of it is simply you guys hate steve. Which is fine, a lot of people do. But the DD-1 works fine and does it's job well. I've set gains multiple ways and I still haven't ruined any equipment from how I've set gains. By ear, DMM, 2ch desktop full spectrum scope, DD-1.

I had no problems with Steve until he started to profit from misleading noobs. That sucks. Anyone who does that deserves no respect. As for the DD-1, what job is it that it does "well"? Fucking sucks for gain setting. I realize you learn the hard way, but come on. Don't close your eyes to thinking.

You can still set gains with a scope, DMM with a -15db tone and still ruin shit. I always run more power than I need, so I typically stick to 0db or -3db.

You can ruin stuff with any settings. Your choices make no sense. Train your ear. It will greatly improve everything.

armykyle1, on 11 Jun 2013 - 00:49, said:

And things can go way wrong before measured distortion too. Amusingly the DD-1 nor a scope can measure distortion. Ok, sure $50k Nicollet scopes can but I don't think we are discussing those here.

Your methods lead to the same conclusion. If you don't take the time to train your ear and to actually listen then your shit can fail. Use your ears, teach your ears, enjoy your stuff, don't blindly do something idiotic.

I don't listen to 40hz test tones, hence why it is pointless for music. wink.png

Me and my silly sealed 12. ;)

Edit, Sean beat me to the punch.

Edited by Tirefryr
not reading ahead.

I don't hate Steve Meade. His spot is just down the road. He's a marketing legend. People love to see his demo reactions and his work. He's a good guy. Doesn't mean the DD-1 is any less worthless. I'm not going to buy something just because someone tries to sell it to me. That would make me the sheep. Everyone here is a wolf.

Wolfpack-Hangover-2.jpg

Ok guys.. I have it..

How about an oscope where its probes are in the shape of ears?

Everybody wins!!!!!

Genius! They'd have to be wireless of course.