Mike1982

Time for new subs what to get??

What would you buy?

In the market for 2 12s budget is 850ish will be running them off asaz3500v2 ported in a trunk of my 99 toyota camry. (current box dimensions 33L x 14.25 H x 24.25 d Port dimensions are 4.5L x 12.5 tuned to 32hz . I will get a optimal enclosure for what ever subs I decide on but that is what I have now.) Looking for something that sounds great & gets loud too i would like to have some room if upgrade my power. I am looking at the SSA Xcon ,Tantric HDD, Sundown zv3 or the X series, Psi Platform 3 but not limited to these choices. 

My electrical Dc power 270xp, Group 34 agm up front, 4 deka group 24 agms in the trunk, 1 Run of 1/0 & rear battery bank is grounded twice in the trunk debating on a dedicated ground run to the front battery or to the block.

Just looking for some suggestions

Two ssa xcon subs.

Xcon, Icon, Gcon .... Or Fi BLs and save a bit of monies for some other stuff

Shopping for subs can be kinda daunting I just sold my skar zvx 12s because I did not like them I really want to get something that sounds good & will be loud so I need to get something I will be happy with. 

Its a hard choice between these

SSA Xcon

Tantric HDD

Sundown zv3, zv4 or  X series

Psi Platform 3

How different are xcons from FI BLS?

Not the same type of woofer.... both great but different goals.... I love me some Xcon but I always look at BLs and just stare at them.... 

How different are xcons from FI BLS?

If I were you I wouldn't go with 12s if those are your max dimensions. You don't have enough space. You only have 3.4 cubes with 56in2 of port area tuned to 32hz. That's SMALL for 2 12s. I would go with 2 10s. Some Xcons 10s sound like it would be a good setup with the saz3500.

that box is huge I thought it was too big I have more room but I just need to have a box built to take advantage of it.

Edited by Mike1982

Well what box are you comparing it too? A shitty ported prefab which has like 10 in2 of port area for two 12s? Of course it's going to look big. You have "a lot" of port area compared to them.

If you want you can post the max dimensions and i can see how much room you really have.

I found this on a camry forum but the box in the pic is not mine

1609_4563623783266_1678409553_n.jpg

Edited by Mike1982

That helps some but you'll have to do some measuring to see what the biggest dimensions you can fit through the trunk opening.

From that I would say you could do 34w x 28d x 16h. Don't know if that will fit through the opening or not.

IF you could get those dimensions you could fit a box with it being 4.4 cubes tuned to 32 hz with 87in2 of port area. Which should be good for most 12s

And of couse it would be better if the dimesnions are bigger.

A good idea is to take out the rear speakers so you can get more height and also take the trim off the around the bottom of the trunk opening. I was able to get about 2.5" more width and 1" more height.

Edited by Bassink

that would be a tight fit the subs might be almost to right up against the rear of the trunk. I will have to dig into this a little more

I'm just going off what the pic shows and what I think might fit. You'll have to check to see

This definitely gives me something to think about. What do you think about 3 10's ?

alrighty then

Definitely watching this topic I have same car and want to do 2 12s right now I have 1 15

Get some cardboard and make the largest box that u can slide into the trunk.

You will want to face th subs forward.

well with 2 10s I could fit them in the trunk opening facing the cabin where the seats fold down but they may lead sealing off the trunk really that is something i dont want to do but not out of the question.

the thing that sucks is the part of the trunk comes down not allowing you to push the box all the way to the back of the trunk the box would have to be built like a wedge on top to clear that part of the trunk

Going from the shit you had before to a high output sub is going to be a night and day difference. If you face the subs back in a big box with no space for air to circulate it'll be like donkey kong is beating the piss out of ur trunk.

You want then to face forward. No need to seal off you'll never hear the difference if you did.

Pull THE carpet panel out and remove your back speakers. You don't need them anyway.

I will do that for sure thank you for helping me with this

Going from the shit you had before to a high output sub is going to be a night and day difference. If you face the subs back in a big box with no space for air to circulate it'll be like donkey kong is beating the piss out of ur trunk.

You want then to face forward. No need to seal off you'll never hear the difference if you did.

not to hijack the thread but my box was intended to be rear firing but I'm curious about spinning it around to fiiring forward.  I'm not interested in having my seats down or sealing stuff off, but would I notice a big difference? 

For rear firing subs how much space is "too much" or "too little" when it comes to area for air to circulate?