gprestonmoto

Incriminator Pro Audio

Spoke with Nick @ IA this morning. Customer service there never ceases to amaze. Anyway, got wind of some pro audio woofers coming. I can't say when, but I'm pretty stoked. Also a new Flatlyne coming. I'm glad they're branching out and expanding as a company. Congratulations IA! Now send me 2 of the new DR 12's, and 2 of the Pro Woofers. LOL

Why would you want pro audio speakers?

Plans for my car are  pro audio woofers and tweeters in the doors, RF 360.3,RA, Draconia to run front stage, pair of DR's in the trunk with 2 Minotaurs running subs.

Edited by gprestonmoto

I don't think that would sound all to good. Isn't pro audio used mostly for just trying to get extremely loud and not caring about sq? Your subs are not going to be extremely loud (no offense) compared to others that use pa speakers. I think a set of comps would be better for you.

I might go that way, but to quote Sean, there's no point in running active if you're using components. I will definitely be running active with a DSP, that's not really something I'm willing to change. I'll look into it more though.

Just letting you know so if I am right you don't waste your money!

I guess I'm confused as to what your definition of loud is. 2 12's in the trunk should be plenty loud. I realize that I will lose a lot with it being a trunk, but it should be a fairly loud system that isn't anything forgettable. I'm not going to be running in the 150 db range lol, but that's not really my goal. I see plenty of people running pro audio without many complaints. The car will be tuned by Terry Soohoo so I know everything will be as good as it can be.

By loud I mean the crazy demo vehicles and ones that are 150 db and up I guess. A nice comp set would keep up with your system and most daily ones. I usually see people run pro audio who just want to keep up with the bass and don't really care about sq. not saying your wrong or I'm right but that's just what I usually see.

M5, Quentin, stephanhinote and impious need to see this. They'll know for sure :D

It doesn't matter who is tuning the system. You can't make chicken soup out of chicken shit. What you are doing is comparable to buying a transmission for vehicle you don't know what engine is in it.

No one can decide anything until specifications are published.

I'm open to anyone's knowledge being dropped. I'm not pretending to know more than anyone, just interested in why some people swear by pro audio and some hate on it.

It's just personal preference. Some people like pioneer 5 ways. It's whatever floats their boat or they are to ignorant to know otherwise. Nothing wrong with any wrote taken as your the one who will be listening to it. No one can guess what you will like.

I guess I'm just trying to make sure my front stage can keep up with the substage, as well as integrating a DSP into the system. I don't want it to sound like shit, but I have heard a few systems that lack everything but bass running decent amplified component sets. I'll just be researching more until it's time to pull the trigger.

Never use pro audio and Zed in the same sentence, EVER. Thank you :)

Agreed you would not be doing the Zed amps justice by using pro audio.

Just to offset some bias in this thread....there is nothing inherently wrong with pro audio drivers.  In fact many pro audio drivers (JBL, 18sound, B&C, etc) are extremely accurate, very low distortion speakers that perform great when used within their intended design limitations and objectives.  While competition isn't the end-all be-all of SQ, there have been dozens of cars to win world titles using pro audio drivers including some of the most famous vehicles and vehicles built/owned by some of the biggest names in SQ competition history. 

The problem with the typical pro audio driver used in car audio is that 1) the particular speakers used are not the same accurate, low distortion speakers I previously mentioned (many times even labeling the speakers "pro audio" isn't even appropriate, see my comments on the Skar "pro audio" speakers), 2) they are implemented into the system entirely incorrectly and for entirely the wrong reasons, and 3) bullet "pro audio" tweeters should never be installed in a vehicle.  And as a 4th, most of the people doing it don't have a fucking clue about anything related to acoustics and are just following the crowd and assume it's "great" because they don't know any better.

So, your system plan for the front stage isn't a good plan.  Don't use bullet tweeters, ever.  And you can't determine how you are going to use speakers you don't even know anything about performance and limitation wise.  They might work in a vehicle when used properly, they might not.  Generally speaking I wouldn't recommend them for the average user due to some of the various factors that need to be taken into consideration, such as their lack of low frequency extension and how to properly integrate that into your system and associated tuning requirements.

I would agree with the suggestion that a standard passive component set or active setup with "normal" drivers would suit you just fine.  No reason to limit yourself to pro audio drivers, and if you are more of a novice (which it appears you are) then they aren't a good idea anyways.

And FWIW, most of the crowd using pro audio speakers in car audio (i.e. most of the SPL crowd using them) don't have a fucking clue what in the hell they are doing or talking about.  As a general rule of thumb....don't take their advice and don't listen to their opinion of the speakers or systems performance.  They're idiots.  Especially if they're from Florida.  Sorry Floridians, but it seems to be an epidemic down there.

Never use pro audio and Zed in the same sentence, EVER. Thank you smile.png

Absolutely.  IMO, there is no way I would invest in something from Zed to use on pro audio drivers, just doesn't make sense.  I'm not going to hide it, I HATE pro audio stuff.  It's for the clubs, and that's where it needs to be.  If you are going to use a quality product like Zed, please consider a nice set of components.  I believe in the end, you will be much happier.  Good luck to you.

Absolutely. IMO, there is no way I would invest in something from Zed to use on pro audio drivers, just doesn't make sense. I'm not going to hide it, I HATE pro audio stuff. It's for the clubs, and that's where it needs to be. If you are going to use a quality product like Zed, please consider a nice set of components. I believe in the end, you will be much happier. Good luck to you.

Since I know how Blues guys like to promote competition success......RC's Buick GN which went undefeated as well as winning the most $$ in competition history used all pro audio speakers. Eldridge, Harry Kimura, Doug Winkler (Phd in acoustics), etc etc.....all used pro audio mids and/or subs and I think we'd agree did pretty well in competition wink.png

The genre of speakers isn't the problem. Just like any other type of speaker, the problem is when people use them incorrectly, for the wrong reason, and use low quality low performance speakers.

And a few even used Rear fill.........Oh, snap.

Haha at don't use Zed Audio and B&C in the same sentence. Not all pro audio is the same but I'm guessing you bright ones new that already.

Nice post Brad

Absolutely. IMO, there is no way I would invest in something from Zed to use on pro audio drivers, just doesn't make sense. I'm not going to hide it, I HATE pro audio stuff. It's for the clubs, and that's where it needs to be. If you are going to use a quality product like Zed, please consider a nice set of components. I believe in the end, you will be much happier. Good luck to you.

Since I know how Blues guys like to promote competition success......RC's Buick GN which went undefeated as well as winning the most $$ in competition history used all pro audio speakers. Eldridge, Harry Kimura, Doug Winkler (Phd in acoustics), etc etc.....all used pro audio mids and/or subs and I think we'd agree did pretty well in competition wink.png

The genre of speakers isn't the problem. Just like any other type of speaker, the problem is when people use them incorrectly, for the wrong reason, and use low quality low performance speakers.

Yep, aware of the pro audio drivers that have won competitions.  I think we could agree those people had a high level of knowledge and experience, ie. ......they knew what the heck they were doing.   Much different than your everyday guy that decides to use pro audio drivers.

Sure, we Blues guys like to promote competition success.  I'm sure most that compete would, regardless of what equipment they use.  :)

man I've never seen a forum that's so against using pro audio in a car lol.....seems like when it's brought up people just get slammed

Edited by Tim Harmening

I certainly don't mean to slam anyone.  I apologize if it came off that way.  Even though I hate pro audio drivers and don't believe they belong in an automobile (previous comp winners noted and excluded), that's just me.  If anyone wants to use them, I say go for it.  I'm a firm believer in using what one wants and what sounds good to me, may not sound good to you.  I was just stating my opinion.  The OP may choose to let my opinion influence his decision or not.  Either way, I'm good with whatever he chooses, so long as he likes it, its all good.

All interesting. I tend to follow what ever Brad says lol, but I'll be doing some research.

ParrishElectronics, on 12 Jun 2013 - 18:31, said:

I certainly don't mean to slam anyone. I apologize if it came off that way. Even though I hate pro audio drivers and don't believe they belong in an automobile (previous comp winners noted and excluded), that's just me. If anyone wants to use them, I say go for it. I'm a firm believer in using what one wants and what sounds good to me, may not sound good to you. I was just stating my opinion. The OP may choose to let my opinion influence his decision or not. Either way, I'm good with whatever he chooses, so long as he likes it, its all good.

I don't believe Blues Audio drivers belong in an automobile.

Misconceptions keep flying. Inherently a pro audio driver is still just a driver. When used in an application that highlights its capabilities the results can be great.

Two difficulties with the implementations you see in car audio.

-With efficiency comes a narrow bandwidth

-it's only morons who generically use them. Completely forget to think about the application and instead just buy a driver and use it WAY out of its strength. ie, they forget the first difficulty

Check Parts Express and Midasound for raw drivers if you are going active and keep doing what you are doing, asking questions and taking in the feedback. No matter what you chose there will be compromise based on your install, vehicle, equipment etc. Some of the limitations you won't even be aware of until after you get everything set up. Research the best you can, give the guys on this forum as much DETAILED information as you possibly can, and you can't go wrong