Sign in to follow this  
J2phat4u

SP4 Question

Thinking about going with SP4 15 inch subs. Anyone can help with how many cubes I should build too and how many inches of port? Will be running them on about 6K of power. Thanks

How many?

I want to run 2 of the 15's.

That is a lot of power, be careful or you will smoke them in no time...  FI's site has plenty of box ideas...

Lol, OK.  Just remember that you can thermally fry those subs with much less than that much amplifier in ANY enclosure...

you can fry any sub on ANY AMOUNT OF POWER if you don't know what your doing but if those subs see 3k a piece I think that will be just fine in the right enclosure... Those subs are rated at 3k before cooling...

Without vehicle space constraints it's sort of hard for people to make meaningful suggestions aside from "be careful." Do you have a specific tuning frequency you want to use?

Fi's suggestions would be 6-10ft^3 total for 2 15" SP4s. The increased enclosure volume will yield greater efficiency (more output), most likely a flatter reponse, and a decrease in power handling (which I wouldn't consider bad).

Once you have a rough idea of how much volume you have to work with in your vehicle than we can model different alignments within your constraints, and see what suits you best.

Edited by stefanhinote

That is a lot of power, be careful or you will smoke them in no time... FI's site has plenty of box ideas...

Since their site upgrade I don't see their enclosure suggestions anywhere. The forum section has some recommendations, but it's for older drivers.

Found it:

Sealed box: 2-3.5cuft | 2-3.5 cuft Ported box: 3-5cuft | 3-5cuft Sub OD: 15.625” | 15.625” Cut ID: 14.125” | 14.125” Mounting depth: 11.250” | 11.250” Displacement: 0.21cuft | 0.21cuft

Edited by stefanhinote

you can fry any sub on ANY AMOUNT OF POWER if you don't know what your doing but if those subs see 3k a piece I think that will be just fine in the right enclosure... Those subs are rated at 3k before cooling...

You can't fry any sub with any amount of power.  Please be a little more objective when making blanket statements like that.

If the sub is rated at a thermal limit of 3000 watts, a 1500 watt amplifier could potentially damage it...  A 3000 watt amplifier could very easily damage it, in any box, without audible distortion.

i had a BL 18 hooked to a 2500.1 kicker and it held the power with out issue for a year until i sold it for a SP4 (wich arrives in 3 days :D). i made sure there was no distortion and the amp never got below 12.2V. a SP4 playing rated power on a system that is properly setup will not blow due to excess power playing music. if you pump a spl tone through it for extended periods sure you can blow it but there is no reason to do that in a DD.

if you put rated power into a xplode or pyle they would melt before they reached 'rated' power.

if you put rated power into a kicker it would last for short periods but play it on a road trip and its toast. (dont this a few times to me with L7 12's and 15's).

i had a BL 18 hooked to a 2500.1 kicker and it held the power with out issue for a year until i sold it for a SP4 (wich arrives in 3 days biggrin.png). i made sure there was no distortion and the amp never got below 12.2V. a SP4 playing rated power on a system that is properly setup will not blow due to excess power playing music. if you pump a spl tone through it for extended periods sure you can blow it but there is no reason to do that in a DD.

if you put rated power into a xplode or pyle they would melt before they reached 'rated' power.

if you put rated power into a kicker it would last for short periods but play it on a road trip and its toast. (dont this a few times to me with L7 12's and 15's).

orly3.gif

i had a BL 18 hooked to a 2500.1 kicker and it held the power with out issue for a year until i sold it for a SP4 (wich arrives in 3 days biggrin.png). i made sure there was no distortion and the amp never got below 12.2V. a SP4 playing rated power on a system that is properly setup will not blow due to excess power playing music. if you pump a spl tone through it for extended periods sure you can blow it but there is no reason to do that in a DD.

orly3.gif

You weren't prepared for that knowledge drop huh?

orly3.gif

Not at all.

orly3.gif

Not at all.

Love the sarcasm biggrin.png

Sign in to follow this