disturbeddrummer254

2 18's...Crescendo amp?

I currently have 2 PSI pf2 18s (1800w rms)and 1 Soundstream tx1.2000 amp on each. It sounds ok but im not sure they put out 2000rms@1 like it says... I saw 1 guy on youtube try n test one with a clamp meter and regular meter and figured about 900-1000 watts. I realize there is impendance rise n stuff. Im thinking about going with a 1 Crescendo 3500 or 5500...anyone ever ran these amps?

You won't gain audible volume with either of those amps.

Not too sure about that.. Probably would hear a difference with a 5500.

Crescendo amps are great but you won't hear a difference in output. Not really sure how much power those amps put out but adding power is the worse way to get louder (for daily) unless your at least doubling it. But then your still not guaranteed to gain output if any and you spend a shit ton on electrical upgrades. If you want to get louder try and mess with your box! Build a new one with different port placements, tuning, and size.

Maybe. Difference is ~4.4db before power compression which is going to be significant @ 2750w per driver. It's entirely possible for power compression to completely eliminate that gain in amplifier power, not to mention he'd be 1kw over the RMS rated power per driver running at full power. The difference between his current power level and running them at rated power wouldn't be audible enough to make the upgrade worthwhile.

By the time you factor in the cost of the amp & the additional electrical needed to support it you are in the realm of diminishing returns going with either option, in my opinion.

And that youtube video of the clamp test is entirely useless. Put no faith at all in it.

Maybe. Difference is ~4.4db before power compression which is going to be significant @ 2750w per driver. It's entirely possible for power compression to completely eliminate that gain in amplifier power, not to mention he'd be 1kw over the RMS rated power per driver running at full power. The difference between his current power level and running them at rated power wouldn't be audible enough to make the upgrade worthwhile.

By the time you factor in the cost of the amp & the additional electrical needed to support it you are in the realm of diminishing returns going with either option, in my opinion.

And that youtube video of the clamp test is entirely useless. Put no faith at all in it.

4000 to 5500 is a theoretical ~4.4dbs? Or am I reading something wrong?

He only has one Soundstream amp.  2kw not 4kw

And that would be what I was misreading :Doh:

And that would be what I was misreading Doh.gif

Never mind I was right lol "1 Soundstream tx1.2000 amp on each"

You're right, my fault.  I missed the "on each".

In which case, I agree with your original statement.  No audible difference either way, complete waste of time to "upgrade" unless it was simply for the simplicity of having a single amp instead of two. 

Yea I mean a crescendo 3500 will probubly put out around 4k at .5 ohm. I trust crescendo to put out the claimed power over Soundstream. I might hear a difference in clarity. And also I like the idea of 1 amp pushing both for space and not having an issue with them being uneven from one sub to the other. Should work out ok

Yea I mean a crescendo 3500 will probubly put out around 4k at .5 ohm. I trust crescendo to put out the claimed power over Soundstream. I might hear a difference in clarity. And also I like the idea of 1 amp pushing both for space and not having an issue with them being uneven from one sub to the other. Should work out ok

The bold is ALL you will gain.  IMO that is a ton of cash to outlay for something that is inaudible

you will not have an audible difference between those options due to power and you will not hear an audible difference in sound quality or "clarity" between those options.

As myself, M5 and Rick have said, the ONLY difference would be the simplicity of 1 amp instead of 2. That's it. Nothing else.

I had my Crescendo 3500ds on two Platform 3s and they got down pretty darn good. Like the others said if you want to with simplicity go for it. The Crescendos will get down , no problem. Very nice amps for sure. How are you liking the Platform subs? I just recently sold mine, and now waiting on a pair of  18" Tantric HDDs with options. I enjoyed the platform 3s though, good subs for sure.

Edited by R3dt34rz

Seems to me like they don't dissipate heat well. There are no vent hold on the side of the basket. After just 20 seconds of playing them loud the dust caps get hot. Ive already had to recone one of them.

If you blew it, you are doing something wrong.

Eventually I'm probably gonna sell em n get 2 zcon 18s

Loved the Zcons and the Xcons. The Zcons get really low and have fun doing it. Had the op to play with those and the Xcons, both excellent subs as well. Go for the Crescendo, outstanding amps.