Sign in to follow this  
riored4v

New ICON - proper power for it?

Getting my new ICON here soon and was just wondering which route I should go for hooking it up.  I have an Audioque 1200d amp, so its 1200w @ 1ohm and 870w @ 2ohm.  I was planning on giving the sub the 1200w, but I'm wondering if I should go the 870w route.  More or less, I'll be unpacking the sub, installing it, and then hitting the road for a long road trip... so its going to see a lot of use right out of the box.  Would it still be ok to go with the 1200w, or is the 870w a safer route?

Thanks!

What ohms are your voice coils?

Then you can only wire it to 1 ohm (parallel) or 4 ohms (series).  I'd just wire it to 1 and be done.

I assume that's each one. So your options are 1 ohm or 4 ohm . I would do like Alton said.

Edited by pmureika

Thanks guys.  As soon as I posted it being 2ohm, it clicked I couldnt wire it for that.  Sorry... its still too early for me haha.

Edited by riored4v

Excellent sub choice.

great sub... and dont worry about "under powering " it.. thats a myth and i can tell you from personal experience not  on 1 but 2 icons in two different builds they are amazing with very little power...

i have 1 in my g/fs car on a JL 500/1 seeing maybe 400 watts in a ported box.. and WOW.

and another is a build i did on a 700 watt old school autotek and its blows everyone away!

I have mine in a sealed enclosure, so far seems pretty decent.  Not sure how long I should before I really start cranking on it...??  I also still need to tune the amp a bit since it is still set for when I had the IDQ and a ported box in there.

I have mine in a sealed enclosure, so far seems pretty decent.  Not sure how long I should before I really start cranking on it...??  I also still need to tune the amp a bit since it is still set for when I had the IDQ and a ported box in there.

Play it normally and it will break in naturally over time. :)

Alright.  Thanks.

Very curious to see what it sounds like once I give it more power.  Already noticed some dimming so I think a new battery is first on my list.

1200 is easily fine.  I have mine on about 1200, ported.  The thing slams, and I love it.  Been thinking about going sealed for some more space.