crackinhedz

15" Xcon unboxing

SoI let it jam this morning, wow.

I sound deadened my doors and trunk area (dynamat,ccf,mlv etc) and this sub found places to rattle that never did before! Curse you Xcon. :)

You need to measure the voltage at the amp. 

Definitely will try to get a video of this in action, but im nervous my alternator wont take te abuse!

I can honestly say I want to go to bed right now just so I can wake up to go have a listen!

Setup looks great man.

How much power are you running through the stock alternator?

I have 800 rms @ 2ohm to the components and 1400 rms @ 2 ohm to the sub...Im sure Im not seeing all 2200 rms and the amps are class D.

But I bought one of those little guages you plug into a lighter socket that indicates alternator and battery...I stay around 14.2 when 2k rpm, but idleing drops to 12.5 ish every so often. Im sure its not very accurate, but close.

Stock alternator is 110 amp...thinking I might need 200-275 amp?

I believe my stock alternator is a 110 also, and I only have 1200w coming out of a single amp and I get some noticeable dimming.  Couldnt even imagine that much on my poor system haha

Definitely will try to get a video of this in action, but im nervous my alternator wont take te abuse!

I can honestly say I want to go to bed right now just so I can wake up to go have a listen!

Setup looks great man.

I have 800 rms @ 2ohm to the components and 1400 rms @ 2 ohm to the sub...Im sure Im not seeing all 2200 rms and the amps are class D.

But I bought one of those little guages you plug into a lighter socket that indicates alternator and battery...I stay around 14.2 when 2k rpm, but idleing drops to 12.5 ish every so often. Im sure its not very accurate, but close.

Is that when you're pounding on it? 

I'm looking into getting a new battery now as I'm sure it will be necessary.

Thanks for the kinds words.  We starting crating the XCON line a little while back due to subs shifting all around in that box.  Glad to see it made it safe.

Always nice to have a new table to put your coffee on right?  hehe

Never had any problem with the old style packaging. This one must be heavier :( but safer too.

I'll see when I order my next SSA sub !

Congrats, OP. Very good choice :)

SoI let it jam this morning, wow.

I sound deadened my doors and trunk area (dynamat,ccf,mlv etc) and this sub found places to rattle that never did before! Curse you Xcon. smile.png

:peepwall:

Setup looks great man.

I believe my stock alternator is a 110 also, and I only have 1200w coming out of a single amp and I get some noticeable dimming.  Couldnt even imagine that much on my poor system haha

Thankfully I have no dimming. Crossing fingers.

You need to measure the voltage at the amp. 

I hav a DMM but afraid to touch anything...could you explain a safe way to chck this?

He just means that you should pick up a $20 volt meter to mount on the dash and run the wires back to the amp. This way you can keep a really close eye on what is going on with the voltage at the amplifier.

He just means that you should pick up a $20 volt meter to mount on the dash and run the wires back to the amp. This way you can keep a really close eye on what is going on with the voltage at the amplifier.

Ok cool, would this need for both amps or just the sub amp since it runs more power?

Mainly just looking to see the voltage at the sub amp in your case. 

So I attended a little show near me in Rocky Mount, VA and tried my luck at the meter for the first time!

I hit 139.1 at the dash with some Far East Movement music (yeah I know, what a selection right!) But I felt pretty good with it considering I was not even planning on doing so, only went to try my luck with the Sound Quality portion...I had really tweaked my amp gains lower for the "SQL" to rid my self of some unwanted noise (noise floor? rf interference? I dunno) Anyways, so technically I was not set up right for the SPL, so I think 139 was good for me and the lack of preparation.

As for the "SQL" portion, there were only 3 of us competing and to be honest I was kind of disappointed with the quality of the CD used. (possibly again my lack of preparation?!) Main song was a live version of Hotel California, well my copy of the studio version is waaaaaaaay different than the live version so all the time I spent adjusting gains, EQ'ing etc for my version went completely out the window!  Also we had to keep the passenger window open for the judges to talk with each other...but the passenger windows faced the crowd and the others doing SPL comps at the same time...I think it would have benefited everyone for the "SQL" to take place further away in a much quieter spot. Anyways, no bitchin from me as all three of us had to endure the same issues. I guess I should have worked on my tuning a little better with what they had.

But my mind was all over the place being my first real competition (that I participated), and not knowing what to expect. Plus just getting my Xcon installed less than a week ago I am still tweaking to my liking. I had a great time and look forward to many more.

Ok just a little bitching...man I had my system set up perfect for the "SQL"! At least I thought I did, sounded great to me. But the live version was not the same and way to bright for me. Oh well! ...end rant. morning.gif

Yea, that happens a lot more then you think it does with shows like that. Glad you had a good time over all though.

Was that score sealed and on the dash or with a door or window open?

Yea, that happens a lot more then you think it does with shows like that. Glad you had a good time over all though.

Was that score sealed and on the dash or with a door or window open?

meter on dash in front of passanger side, driver side door open.

Since Im new to all this, can you explain the advantages/disadvantages? They said I could open a window or door, that door open would be better.

You need a spl meter and start testing at different tones with different things (door/window) open/closed and see what you get