Quentin Jarrell

2010 civic sedan daily drive

That drawing is awesome! Box looks great too.

drawing? you mean the first pic?  That is just a black and white photo of the ole lady.  The sculpture below was made from plaster casts from her.

That drawing is awesome! Box looks great too.

drawing? you mean the first pic?  That is just a black and white photo of the ole lady.  The sculpture below was made from plaster casts from her.

Ohhhh okay I thought that it was a drawing. The sculpture is cool too though.

Very nice enclosure build Sir !!!

I'm really diggin the external ports !!! I know someone running something similar ...

Just wish he had gone back and done some of that fancy fiberglass work like your ...

But I think he has plans for next year ...

I am definitely tuned in Sir !!!

I'm at a standstill waiting on parts for my Matrix so I decided to start a small install in my Civic. 

I'm starting off making a copy of the rear deck that will be modified to become the bottom of the enclosure.  It'll be 6 layers of two ounce chopped strand mat by the time it's finished.  Notice that I always use one solid piece when possible.  

Please explain. You said "small install". I would like to know what the hell a "big install" is to you Q?

I'm at a standstill waiting on parts for my Matrix so I decided to start a small install in my Civic. 

I'm starting off making a copy of the rear deck that will be modified to become the bottom of the enclosure.  It'll be 6 layers of two ounce chopped strand mat by the time it's finished.  Notice that I always use one solid piece when possible.  

Please explain. You said "small install". I would like to know what the hell a "big install" is to you Q?

This I would consider a big install.  When it was finished it had about 2,000 hrs in it.

doorrr.jpg

rearrr.jpg

~24 hertz should have and F3 of ~20 hertz.  Kinda iffy due to all the port angles but it'll be close enough.

~24 hertz should have and F3 of ~20 hertz. Kinda iffy due to all the port angles but it'll be close enough.

Nice !!! My enclosure is in the same ballpark ... Can't wait to get my demo !!!

I'm hoping to have it all finished around xmas.  Still deciding on front stage

If you make the drive Sunday, will you be in this car ?? I'd like to chat with you about stage and image ...

possibly, if not we will be in my ole lady's '13 civic.  As of right now I am scheduled to work Sunday night.  However the vessel may not arrive until later in the week.  I'll know more tomorrow night.

Cool ... Yea, I go into work Sunday night / Monday morning too (the ole 3rd shift) ...

Thinking about what I'm gonna do about the front stage and realize I have some pretty damn big A-pillars.  The sandpaper is 5" OD.  I won't have a bit of problem physically mounting a 5 inch driver on axis on both driver and passenger sides.  In the "window" area I have ~.05 cubic feet but can push the enclosure into the dash and get a good .25 cubic foot gross.  I'll have ~3.5 inches mounting depth without it looking too gaudy.  Driver is ~35 inches, and passenger ~50 inches from headrest.  Drivers would sit at neck level at my seating position.

IMG_0033_zps3aeba3a6.jpg

IMG_0034_zpsdd750d0f.jpg

IMG_0036_zpsccbf2656.jpg

IMG_0037_zps163b0cd8.jpg

Thinking about what I'm gonna do about the front stage and realize I have some pretty damn big A-pillars. The sandpaper is 5" OD. I won't have a bit of problem physically mounting a 5 inch driver on axis on both driver and passenger sides. In the "window" area I have ~.05 cubic feet but can push the enclosure into the dash and get a good .25 cubic foot gross. I'll have ~3.5 inches mounting depth without it looking too gaudy. Driver is ~35 inches, and passenger ~50 inches from headrest. Drivers would sit at neck level at my seating position.

IMG_0033_zps3aeba3a6.jpg

IMG_0034_zpsdd750d0f.jpg

IMG_0036_zpsccbf2656.jpg

IMG_0037_zps163b0cd8.jpg

Perfect spot for a 3" full range

I'm gonna search around.  If I can find a 5 inch and a tweeter that I can fit keeping my entire front stage on the dash I'd like to go that route.  If not I'll go smaller and if need be I have about 1/2 cubic foot in the doors for extra midbass.

I'm gonna search around.  If I can find a 5 inch and a tweeter that I can fit keeping my entire front stage on the dash I'd like to go that route.  If not I'll go smaller and if need be I have about 1/2 cubic foot in the doors for extra midbass.

Placing midrange and tweeter at the apex of 3 highly reflective surfaces is always my last resort.

I'm gonna search around. If I can find a 5 inch and a tweeter that I can fit keeping my entire front stage on the dash I'd like to go that route. If not I'll go smaller and if need be I have about 1/2 cubic foot in the doors for extra midbass.

Placing midrange and tweeter at the apex of 3 highly reflective surfaces is always my last resort.

Both midrange and tweeter would be installed on axis. I'd assume that it wouldn't be an issue?

Still going to have reflections. Think about how sound radiates from the driver. Below beaming it's omnidirectional, for both the mid and tweeter. Those reflections are going to create comb filtering and other anomalies in the FR and power response and narrow the stage due to the early reflections (since the sound we hear is the sum of the direct radiated response plus reflections).

We are in a car, so unfortunately there is no "good" location unless we rebuild the entire interior (which based on your idea of a "small install" might be in the realm of possibilities for you ;) ). But along the scale of better to worse speaker locations, IMO a-pillars are on the worse side of that scale.

Not to say no car has ever had speakers there that sounded good. But there are some unavoidable issues with those locations that I personally find more objectionable.

The kick panels are also huge and can also run them into the dash and get a good .25 cft gross

Doors can be easily modified. Could do at least .25 cft net ported.

I'm gonna want a ton of mid bass. I prefer an excessive amount. I could run a 6 in the doors and a 4 and tweeter in the kicks. (Could port kicks). Only concern is since I'm short and a bit farther to the dash than most having the midrange in the kicks might hinder stage height. But I guess I'll just have to mock some boxes up and see what would work better for my seating position.

Up high I'd only use a point source.  Considering you want killer midbass that speaks for it as a solution.