Quentin Jarrell

2010 civic sedan daily drive

The doors and kick panels.  For reference the speaker grill is 6.5 inches OD.  The pocket rear of the factory speaker locations would be modified as the enclosure.  The hood release would be moved if kick panels were built.

IMG_0044_zpsa187f642.jpg

IMG_0047_zpse552d565.jpg

IMG_0046_zpseb958bdd.jpg

Up high I'd only use a point source.  Considering you want killer midbass that speaks for it as a solution.

I could fit something like the BMS 5C150 in the pillar but I would be looking at an F3 ~100hz and would wind up having to put something elsewhere to compensate for ~60-100 hz range which would defeat the purpose of putting them in the pillars.

I could use the dayton DS 175 in a ported enclosure in the kicks and get an F3 of ~65. 

The sub will have an f3 of ~15-20 and would prefer not to cross any higher than about 65 hertz

i love seeing this build since i have the same body type car.....i got a 2008 civic sedan lx

keep up the good work

really nice work if i do say so myself

It's been about a decade since I've had a really nice install oriented system in my daily driver. I wanted something simple in regards to product. Something that customers can actually afford and show what's possible with a smaller budget.

I'd grab some speakers and play with placement. Even a cheap coax would work for just testing out locations. I prefer kicks.....not everyone agrees with me. Though Andy Wehmeyer (formerly of Harmon) has posted a lot recently on DIYMA of the flaws of pillar mounting. So I'm glad I'm in good company :)

Though I really hope you run midbass in the doors as I'd like to see how you turn that map pocket into an enclosure. I need to do the same to my car....have thought of a few different ways to go about it but haven't decided on a method yet. I suck at fabrication so I'm a little outside of my element when trying to envision how to fab it up.

Very cool to see some art work on SSA.  The enclosure before FG, is very blue man group. ;)

I'd grab some speakers and play with placement. Even a cheap coax would work for just testing out locations. I prefer kicks.....not everyone agrees with me. Though Andy Wehmeyer (formerly of Harmon) has posted a lot recently on DIYMA of the flaws of pillar mounting. So I'm glad I'm in good company smile.png

Though I really hope you run midbass in the doors as I'd like to see how you turn that map pocket into an enclosure. I need to do the same to my car....have thought of a few different ways to go about it but haven't decided on a method yet. I suck at fabrication so I'm a little outside of my element when trying to envision how to fab it up.

I'd be more torn if I didn't wear > size 16's and basically have serious path issues with kick installs.  Obviously less difficult compromises to deal with in the kicks if you can maneuver the physical mounting.  Multiple drivers up high I've never been a fan of.

I gonna order a few dayton drivers.  On paper it might sound pretty good.

RS 150-4 6" driver          ~.419 cft tuned to ~ 52 hz   f3 of ~51hz in doors

RS 125-4 5" driver          ~.2 cft sealed in kick panels

RS 28F-4 tweeter            in kick panels

I've seen custom dash covers work wonders with reflections along with precision placement ...

Also ... Your Stage and image should be up and out on your hood AND beyond your outside mirrors (stage depth and width) ... Correct ???

I've seen (in competition) people with midranges and tweeters in the kick pannels (with tons of processing) get their stage and image in the areas of up and on the dash, but never out on the hood and beyond the outside mirrors where they should be ... then again, just my observation here demoing different vehicles ...

Edited by Cablguy184

I gonna order a few dayton drivers.  On paper it might sound pretty good.

RS 150-4 6" driver          ~.419 cft tuned to ~ 52 hz   f3 of ~51hz in doors

RS 125-4 5" driver          ~.2 cft sealed in kick panels

RS 28F-4 tweeter            in kick panels

To use altogether? Personally I wouldn't pair a 150 with 125 as I'd like drivers that have different specialties. In a 1.5 xover scenario you gain cone area, but for that purpose there are beefier drives than the 150. The 100 is a way better midrange than the 125. WAY. Can't dig at all, but if you have a midbass then that isn't really a concern.

I've seen custom dash covers work wonders with reflections along with precision placement ...

Also ... Your Stage and image should be up and out on your hood AND beyond your outside mirrors (stage depth and width) ... Correct ???

I've seen (in competition) people with midranges and tweeters in the kick pannels (with tons of processing) get their stage and image in the areas of up and on the dash, but never out on the hood and beyond the outside mirrors where they should be ... then again, just my observation here demoing different vehicles ...

Time to demo some more vehicles. You also need to weigh in the FR with stage and pick your compromise. And yes, there will be one.

Time to demo some more vehicles. You also need to weigh in the FR with stage and pick your compromise. And yes, there will be one.

I will meet you at the biggest show / event of the year in 3 weeks to discuss this in front of the best Sound Quality vehicles in the world ... That being IASCA, MECA, and USACI ...

... But it does no good to discuss it here on SSA

1. Gary Biggs only ran kicks in his National.

2. I DO NOT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YALLS DICK MEASURING CONTEST.

3. I'll Oder a pair of the 100's. They would be much much less of a pain in the ass to install.

4. I'll be using each driver on its own channel processed with Rane eq's (already have (2) 60's or DSP's)

5. FS is much more important than imaging. This is a daily driver. I jut want this bitch to wang.

Edited by Quentin Jarrell

You said wang

Do whatcha do Quentin. It's looking real good.

I'm using TB w4's and dayton nd20 in my kicks. really nice drivers. I just moved the tweeter down to the kicks yesterday so I haven't played with processing much but i've noticed some improvements. looking forward to seeing your midbass install. curious why you went with the daytons over say the peerless sls 6.5?

y

I'm using TB w4's and dayton nd20 in my kicks. really nice drivers. I just moved the tweeter down to the kicks yesterday so I haven't played with processing much but i've noticed some improvements. looking forward to seeing your midbass install. curious why you went with the daytons over say the peerless sls 6.5?

Ignorance.  I just don't know what's available.  More xmax (if its not PTP) and would use a smaller enclosure.  Guess I need to spend a few more hours looking at drivers.

As of now the peerless looks like a winner for midbass ported in the doors.  Anyone have  other suggestions on a 4" versus the  Dayton 100?  

The Peerless 830870 4" looks like it would work much better.  .07 cft would be much easier to get in the kicks.

I thought you were into the Dayton for some reason. Will an 8 fit?

no, need to stick with and OD of 7inches and under

A used pair of extremis would be nice. Css xbl as well.

Stupid portable device...I shouldn't post from it. Anarchy/Extremis are both monsters for 7"s and midbass.

The TB's Brendan linked are nice, I listen to a pair everyday on my desk running full range and on axis. Have some anomalies to sort out with processing though depending on the range you need them to play. Things become rather easy though when you have a midbass play up to at least 300Hz.

Tang Bangs look nice.  Would do the bamboo drivers though.  Not sure if I'd care for the titanium. 

I couldn't be happier with the ex-anarchy. I had them in some fairly large kicks and the midbass was killer. You can cross them pretty high so you'd end up with a lot of room to play around with xo points if you use them in a three way like that.

for what it's worth I have mine crossed around 1900hz 18db slope and there isn't any audible cone break up.