Sign in to follow this  
Kent535

Kents 08 Lexus ES350 Build

Hey everyone! haven't had a build long in a while. Last one on here was the 2 FI BTLS wall that was in my mustang. Have a new build coming along soon!

SAY HELLO inst she gorgeous

ezmtea.jpg

Picked her up about 2 weeks ago and already planning stuff. currently have a ZV4 15'' on order and waiting for it to arrive. Also have 4 SA-8 V2's in my room along with (2) 100.4 amps for the mids and highs and (1) 2500V2 for the subs. For the mids and highs im going to be running 2 sets of Image dynamics 6.5 and 2 sets of Image dynamics 6X9s. Still don't know what kind of box design to run tho.

The trunk has potential! < 15 cu. ft.

2wch3s9.jpg

Any ideas? was looking into a clamshell type design

you're gonna clam your Lexus?!  I wouldn't dare do that to my GS.  You are braver then me lol.

Tuned in for this..

you're gonna clam your Lexus?!  I wouldn't dare do that to my GS.  You are braver then me lol.

Tuned in for this..

yeah its going to be a pain for me to fit something exciting back there but i want to do something different than the ordinary ported enclosure

beautiful car!!! exactly why so many speakers? lol, I don't think that car has that many factory installed? 

can't wait for the build to get started!!!

beautiful car!!! exactly why so many speakers? lol, I don't think that car has that many factory installed? 

can't wait for the build to get started!!!

If i remember correctly there are 2 in the dash and 1 in each door and i "think" 2 in the rear deck. if not then i will just end up doing 6 mids and 6 highs and end up getting a 100.4 and a 100.2. What kind of box should i do? any suggestions? dont really want to start cutting and tearing it apart. Dont mind taking the rear seats out however since you can easily put them back in. Just some bolts :)

Should be worth watching. :)

So i went out and looked and there are no speakers in the rear deck besides the stock 8 inch sub. Hopefully i can get a good loud setup with the remaining 7 speaker placements. Each door uses 6.5's(Front and rear) and there are also small mids and highs on the dash. I don't know the size but i am guessing 3 1/4. There is also a center speaker grill which apparently has a hold cutout underneath but does not have a speaker in it. (speaker offered in higher model)

So what im planning on running are

(2) 100.4's for the Front stage

(3 1/4) Components for the dash

(6 1/2)  Coaxials for the doors front and back

So i went out and looked and there are no speakers in the rear deck besides the stock 8 inch sub. Hopefully i can get a good loud setup with the remaining 7 speaker placements. Each door uses 6.5's(Front and rear) and there are also small mids and highs on the dash. I don't know the size but i am guessing 3 1/4. There is also a center speaker grill which apparently has a hold cutout underneath but does not have a speaker in it. (speaker offered in higher model)

You don't need anywhere near that much, and will only make it sound worse by adding more than you need.

You don't need anywhere near that much, and will only make it sound worse by adding more than you need.

too much power you mean or speakers?

Why not 3 way components? Coaxials aren't really necessary. Hertz HSK 3 ways would go nicely in there.

Why not 3 way components? Coaxials aren't really necessary. Hertz HSK 3 ways would go nicely in there.

don't want to start fabricating or fiber glassing things. Just want a drop, plug and play style. (External sundown amp of corse) 3 way components wouldn't fit since there are only 2 holes per side on the dash..

too much power you mean or speakers?

Headroom is always good so I won't say too much power, even though one amp is plenty in my opinion. Way too many speakers.

Get a single set of components and use one of the sundown amps as a two channel bridging ch 1&2 and 3&4 to each side; or two raw 6.5s and two tweeters for an active setup.

Get a single set of components and use one of the sundown amps as a two channel bridging ch 1&2 and 3&4 to each side; or two raw 6.5s and two tweeters for an active setup.

But then what do i do with the door speakers? just not use them...

But then what do i do with the door speakers? just not use them...

6.5 in each door and a tweeter wherever the stock location is, IF you don't want to put it somewhere better. Everything else can be disconnected.

You said you have a Z415 on order. Only one? 

What are your goals for the front stage? 

Yeah, just 1 ZV4.15. Goals for the front stage are to keep up with the sub stage while still maintining crisp and clean if i chose to turn the sub off and just enjoy the front stage. 

I realize you cant have SPL and SQ, but id like to retain my stock locations and keep the front stage concealed to the eye.

Yeah, just 1 ZV4.15. Goals for the front stage are to keep up with the sub stage while still maintining crisp and clean if i chose to turn the sub off and just enjoy the front stage. 

I realize you cant have SPL and SQ, but id like to retain my stock locations and keep the front stage concealed to the eye.

I disagree with whomever told you that you can not achieve good sound quality while getting loud. Many installs that use HLCD and pro audio midbass drivers get nuts loud and have an excellent sound stage. Granted this level of install takes a lot more than throwing a component in the doors. So yes you can have a good imaging sound stage that gets loud as fawk.

How much money do you have set aside for your front stage and how good are your install skills?

One of the aspects of a well performing sound quality install is midbass. When people use the term "up front bass" what they are really describing is their midbass. Without good midbass you will never be able to blend your sub stage in with the front stage. This gives you the affect of your subbass as sounding to come from around you or in front of you versus behind you. In this area you may find the most difficult in the install. Pro audio midbass drivers coupled with a loud substage will knock your socks off (literally). But then again, how much money and skills you got? To properly incorporate a pro audio midbass driver it isn't easy but definitely doable.

So........your goal maybe to have "good sounding" front stage or an "SQ" front stage. Which one do you want? I know that Sundown but a lot of R&D into their 6.5 component set. This maybe a good drop-in replacement in your stock locations for a "good sounding" front stage. Or HLCD and pro audio midbass for a "knock-your-socks-off" SQ install. Obviously the latter is much more expensive and difficult to install and tune.

BTW turning the sub off and enjoying the front stage sucks IMO :) Why would you want to listen t only part off the music?

I disagree with whomever told you that you can not achieve good sound quality while getting loud. Many installs that use HLCD and pro audio midbass drivers get nuts loud and have an excellent sound stage. Granted this level of install takes a lot more than throwing a component in the doors. So yes you can have a good imaging sound stage that gets loud as fawk.

How much money do you have set aside for your front stage and how good are your install skills?

One of the aspects of a well performing sound quality install is midbass. When people use the term "up front bass" what they are really describing is their midbass. Without good midbass you will never be able to blend your sub stage in with the front stage. This gives you the affect of your subbass as sounding to come from around you or in front of you versus behind you. In this area you may find the most difficult in the install. Pro audio midbass drivers coupled with a loud substage will knock your socks off (literally). But then again, how much money and skills you got? To properly incorporate a pro audio midbass driver it isn't easy but definitely doable.

So........your goal maybe to have "good sounding" front stage or an "SQ" front stage. Which one do you want? I know that Sundown but a lot of R&D into their 6.5 component set. This maybe a good drop-in replacement in your stock locations for a "good sounding" front stage. Or HLCD and pro audio midbass for a "knock-your-socks-off" SQ install. Obviously the latter is much more expensive and difficult to install and tune.

BTW turning the sub off and enjoying the front stage sucks IMO smile.png Why would you want to listen t only part off the music?

Budget is around 350-400 for the front stage, install experience is pretty good but never have done fiberglass and not good with modifying or fitting speakers where the don't fit

Found the set of image dynamics Ctx65cs that i was going to use for my last build but never got around to it. Never been used. Hooked them up to my Home Audio Harmon Kardon HK3490 Reciever and they sound pretty crisp. reciever does around 125 per Chanel. 

First vid of the build log!! enjoy

View My Video

Well. looks like a little change of plans. The dash ONLY has tweeters even though it looked like there were 2 speakers per grill. Guess the premium sound system platform came with 2 per grill.

The tweets look like 1 inch im guessing.

Dont know the size of the center Dash speaker or what its used for. doesnt seem to be playing anything...

25f7vy9.jpg

2ld91t2.jpg

w0izqp.jpg

What do you guys think of the box design?

s6p3xz.jpg

Still waiting on my ZV.4 15'' so i thought in the mean time i could have at least SOME bass while i wait. The texts i wrote apply to the picture(s) above it.

i5yyh2.jpg

Decided to go with 2 SA-8 V2's

2sbv0up.jpg

Power Run 1/0 gauge

ztfciu.jpg

Pretty heavy stuff

2ir16dk.jpg

To give you an idea

4r47bs.jpg

2pzcsuc.jpg

292o12r.jpg

Time for some Terminals