Sign in to follow this  
SacredTanakh

Alt really hot

My mechman 260 is getting blazingly hot, is this normal? Thinking its a ground issue, I have it attached to a battery which is attached to the motor.

Any ideas?

what are you touching that's dictating it's very hot?

The entire alt is hot. Also I actually just checked voltage and I'm only getting 13.3 from it Wtf. It was working fine when I first hooked it up.

Well, i must talk stupid to you(it may appear that way) to try and help you.

This 13.3v you measured.. where was it measured at?

the casing of the alt is generally always very hot.  Welcome to the engine bay.

If you are measuring 13.3v from the Charging post of the alt itself.. then shut off car immediately!

Check and see what your batteries are resting at with car off for a while.

If 13.3v is at the alt, it's "possible" the rectifier or regulator is damaged.

If you have an ammeter, try to put a large load on the alt with car on and revved up(preferably over 200A) and measure current out.

this will help you determine if the rectifier is damaged in anyway.

alternators are hot out of nature....  are you saying you have touched it before  and it is hotter then normal?

voltage loss can be from a number of things....

i do have a few questions...

have you done anything out of the normal .. jump-start a friend,  run your battery down and get a jump start...  did you install anything new? have you checked all your connections everywhere?

Well, i must talk stupid to you(it may appear that way) to try and help you.

This 13.3v you measured.. where was it measured at?

the casing of the alt is generally always very hot.  Welcome to the engine bay.

If you are measuring 13.3v from the Charging post of the alt itself.. then shut off car immediately!

Check and see what your batteries are resting at with car off for a while.

If 13.3v is at the alt, it's "possible" the rectifier or regulator is damaged.

If you have an ammeter, try to put a large load on the alt with car on and revved up(preferably over 200A) and measure current out.

this will help you determine if the rectifier is damaged in anyway.

I realize its hot in the engine bay, but my old alternator just got warm not HOT.

The 13.3 was from the posts of the alternator itself.

rechecked while revving it up a lot higher (3000rpms), and it went all the way up to 14.2 and there was a pop and one of my fuses blew...

so all of that seems odd considering those fuses are rated 275a @ 32volts.

I'm going to mess around with it a bit, and try a different ground replace the fuse, see what happens.

alternators are hot out of nature....  are you saying you have touched it before  and it is hotter then normal?

voltage loss can be from a number of things....

i do have a few questions...

have you done anything out of the normal .. jump-start a friend,  run your battery down and get a jump start...  did you install anything new? have you checked all your connections everywhere?

Well I just moved my second battery to my center console, and ever since then my bass has been harsh sounding. Has a different tone to it, I guess that it is a symptom of the new alt and change in battery location. I'm about to recheck connections right now.

Found the issue I think... There was some random old wire jammed up by the alt shorting out on the block and alt. I have no idea how it didn't do more damage, the wire was burnt to hell though. Hopefully all my electronics are ok including the alt..

My question is how did the fuse not blow earlier..

Edited by SacredTanakh

ANLs have a burst rating of over 10,000A.

You should get your battery load tested. A dead or low voltage battery will cause your alt to work 100% which will certainly get it hot as hell.

You should get your battery load tested. A dead or low voltage battery will cause your alt to work 100% which will certainly get it hot as hell.

The Diehard gold in there is really old, but I am waiting to buy the 2 diehard platinums I'm planning on using a little later.

I doubt It's working very hard, I'm barely pulling amps off of my system atm.

Edited by SacredTanakh

The Diehard gold in there is really old, but I am waiting to buy the 2 diehard platinums I'm planning on using a little later.

Doesn't matter what you are equipment you are running. If your battery is shot it will kill your alt given enough time.

Doesn't matter what you are equipment you are running. If your battery is shot it will kill your alt given enough time.

Its not that bad it stays around 12.5 and overall my voltage goes a little above 13 with them both connected, and I seriously doubt it would do anything to the alt..

Edit: anyway I don't need anymore responses to this thread I found the issue, and know how to fix it. I just need time atm.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Its not that bad it stays around 12.5 and overall my voltage goes a little above 13 with them both connected, and I seriously doubt it would do anything to the alt..

Edit: anyway I don't need anymore responses to this thread I found the issue, and know how to fix it. I just need time atm.

Way to be a dick after we tried to help you.

Way to be a dick after we tried to help you.

Thanks for the responses, Not trying to be a dick. :/

just no reason for the thread any longer, Everything is fine now. I was saying that so people don't speculate and waste there time since I found the short which is what was causing all the strange issues.

For those who are not satisfied with that my plans for my upgrades are all clear in my head now. but I know my batteries are fine, my voltage barely drops even without the car on. I plan on replacing the diehard gold anyway just to be sure.

Edited by SacredTanakh