tommydh

New Hopefully last system plan/ideas

Ok so I'm looking for a few suggestions on a few amps for my planned 4 Sundown X 10's or other comparable sub. 

Vehicle is 07 Mini Cooper s Big 3 1/0 upgrade Battery is stock till it finally goes then plan on an AGM of some sort will worry later on that

HU is Pioneer 80 prs

as far as goals are concerned I really dont have any I just want to have other Mini's jealous. I know thats a stupd goal but at te moment I'm not competing or showing possibly in future but I just like thhe idea of 4 10's

Budget Currently Ha but looking to stay around 400/amp probably looking at 2 amps plus a new 4 channel amp for my Mids/Highs which at time are Kicker SS 56.2 possably into replacing so any help there is appreciated.

Please I am only lookinng for suggestions at the moment so please keep the offers to sell at a minimum. I am just trying to get a broad idea of possibilities versus having only 1 or 2 ideas and missing a great product.

Thats one of the amps I was thinking or AQ2200's thanks for the input.   Am I askig a realistic thing with 400/amp budget or am I trying to stretch it a little.

Why do you want to use two amps for the subs?

BC I'm planning on using 4

So you have a budget of $800 total for amps for your subs, and want the most power you can get? Do you have an additional budget to upgrade your electrical? Doesn't make much sense to drop $800 for a bunch of amps if your electrical isn't up to par, and I highly doubt replacing the battery with an AGM is going to be enough.

So you have a budget of $800 total for amps for your subs, and want the most power you can get? Do you have an additional budget to upgrade your electrical? Doesn't make much sense to drop $800 for a bunch of amps if your electrical isn't up to par, and I highly doubt replacing the battery with an AGM is going to be enough.

I'm not trying to be rude but if you would read I will upgrade electrical That is not included in budget as I was always planning on it and just dont see the use in rerplacing a functional battery that has not faultered a bit with what i am running currently.  I am already running 3 amps on it i plan on changing them all out to a better line possably same manufacturer. If you would have read you would notice that my current budgetis non existent so I am simply trying to get a broader range of ideas. In the past I've done big high quality comp builds going back to 96 wit RF Punch Power DVC 4-12's off 2 Punch Power 50M's on stock electrical wihout issues so Ill address alt if needed I plan on Battery upgrades that is not included in the amp budget. I do not have a hard limit im simply trying to see what I can getr away with.

Other than Big 3 and Battery what do you suggest. I'm just curious what your recomendations are. Do you have a degree or masters liscense in Eletrical fields. I do I have done some calculations already so please enlighten me but I doubt your expertise isnt close to my background in this field. But please I want to hear your suggestion

I'm not sure of the question asked because you weren't clear. But I'll go ahead an assume

With factory alt and one battery I wouldn't go much over 1k

Now if you are putting a modest 5k to the 4 subs then it only takes basic knowledge of Ohm's law and a 3rd grade education to figure that you will be pulling 400 amps of current even if the amps are 90% efficient. But you incenuated that you have some sort of background in electricity so ill assume you already know that.

You arent gonna find an alternator set up for that car that will bolt up that's large enough and you more than likely don't physically have enough room in the engine bay to custom build one.

As far as batteries go amp hours can be figured based on current draw.

And Stephan's question about the number of amps. It's dumb to get two amps over one if the larger one will fit as one larger amp will always be cheaper than two small amps of equal size.

I'm not trying to be rude but if you would read I will upgrade electrical That is not included in budget as I was always planning on it and just dont see the use in rerplacing a functional battery that has not faultered a bit with what i am running currently.  I am already running 3 amps on it i plan on changing them all out to a better line possably same manufacturer. If you would have read you would notice that my current budgetis non existent so I am simply trying to get a broader range of ideas. In the past I've done big high quality comp builds going back to 96 wit RF Punch Power DVC 4-12's off 2 Punch Power 50M's on stock electrical wihout issues so Ill address alt if needed I plan on Battery upgrades that is not included in the amp budget. I do not have a hard limit im simply trying to see what I can getr away with.

I read that you mentioned upgrading the battery, nothing more. I apologize for not catching the inference for further electrical upgrades.

Other than Big 3 and Battery what do you suggest. I'm just curious what your recomendations are. Do you have a degree or masters liscense in Eletrical fields. I do I have done some calculations already so please enlighten me but I doubt your expertise isnt close to my background in this field. But please I want to hear your suggestion

Unfortunately I do not have a degree in EE, so please feel free to take anything I say with a grain of salt. I've heard fast food is bad for health, but I'm not a doctor either!

Anyhow let me speculate, and correct me when I'm wrong.

You have four sundown X's rated for 1250watts each, so optimally you'd like 5000watts total for your subs since that's what they're rated for?

With zero change in impedance, and 100% efficiency from the amp(s) that would require 5000w/14.4v=347amperes

Say I'm being over optimistic, and you'd be happy with 2500watts, 2500w/14.4v=174amperes

From what I could gather(which may be incorrect), the 07 mini coopers have an alternator rated for 105amperes, and it's not common for manufacturer's to use larger than necessary alternators as it's not cost effective and doesn't help with the HP and mpg. So I would presume that upwards of 80-90% of what the alternator is rated for is what the stock electrical demands, but let's say it only uses half, so 105a/2=50amperes.

So you have 50amperes from the alternator, and say you have a big AGM battery like the xs power 5100 with an AH rating of 60, so for one hour it can discharge 60amperes at 12v? Let's pretend it could do that at 14v though. So for one hour you have ~110amps. 110amps is a lot less than 170amps or 350amps, so much so that voltage would quickly drop below 12v, you would risk ruining all electronics, and ultimately end up with a dead battery.

Back to reality, the alt doesn't have a 50% excess in amperage, your amps aren't anywhere near 100% efficient,  impedance on the amps aren't constant, and I didn't account for any amps you may be using for the front stage.

So my suggestion would be getting a high output alternator if you plan on running anywhere near my speculated figures of power. I originally asked why you wanted to use two amplifiers, when one amplifier alone could easily surpass your vehicle's electrical.

If your original post was clearer than perhaps I wouldn't have "ragged" on you about trying to use so much power with little change to the electrical system.

I know if I were in your shoes I would most likely opt for a smaller amplifier that doesn't require all these costly upgrades as the amount spent and the gain in output wouldn't be worth it to me, and especially considering all the cone area you have available.

Though as you have pointed out I don't have any degree to support anything I've said, so feel free to disagree.

I read that you mentioned upgrading the battery, nothing more. I apologize for not catching the inference for further electrical upgrades.

Unfortunately I do not have a degree in EE, so please feel free to take anything I say with a grain of salt. I've heard fast food is bad for health, but I'm not a doctor either!

You have four sundown X's rated for 1250watts each, so optimally you'd like 5000watts total for your subs since that's what they're rated for?

With zero change in impedance, and 100% efficiency from the amp(s) that would require 5000w/14.4v=347amperes

Say I'm being over optimistic, and you'd be happy with 2500watts, 2500w/14.4v=174amperes

From what I could gather(which may be incorrect), the 07 mini coopers have an alternator rated for 105amperes, and it's not common for manufacturer's to use larger than necessary alternators as it's not cost effective and doesn't help with the HP and mpg. So I would presume that upwards of 80-90% of what the alternator is rated for is what the stock electrical demands, but let's say it only uses half, so 105a/2=50amperes.

So you have 50amperes from the alternator, and say you have a big AGM battery like the xs power 5100 with an AH rating of 60, so for one hour it can discharge 60amperes at 12v? Let's pretend it could do that at 14v though. So for one hour you have ~110amps. 110amps is a lot less than 170amps or 350amps, so much so that voltage would quickly drop below 12v, you would risk ruining all electronics, and ultimately end up with a dead battery.

Back to reality, the alt doesn't have a 50% excess in amperage, your amps aren't anywhere near 100% efficient,  impedance on the amps aren't constant, and I didn't account for any amps you may be using for the front stage.

So my suggestion would be getting a high output alternator if you plan on running anywhere near my speculated figures of power. I originally asked why you wanted to use two amplifiers, when one amplifier alone could easily surpass your vehicle's electrical.

If your original post was clearer than perhaps I wouldn't have "ragged" on you about trying to use so much power with little change to the electrical system.

I know if I were in your shoes I would most likely opt for a smaller amplifier that doesn't require all these costly upgrades as the amount spent and the gain in output wouldn't be worth it to me, and especially considering all the cone area you have available.

Though as you have pointed out I don't have any degree to support anything I've said, so feel free to disagree.

and thats why volvos are the best ladies and gentleman!

>> 

I don't see how that's relevent or correct in ANY way.

>> 

Other than Big 3 and Battery what do you suggest. I'm just curious what your recomendations are. Do you have a degree or masters liscense in Eletrical fields. I do I have done some calculations already so please enlighten me but I doubt your expertise isnt close to my background in this field. But please I want to hear your sugg

estion

I don't see how that's relevent or correct in ANY way.

Post count +1 apparently.

Ok I believe you all need to read the original post or dont bother. ALL I was asking was for suggestions for amps. Since you all are too fing concerned about trting to show you read more shit than the next guy about crap I was not aslking jyou about I think I will be better off closing my eyes and throwing darts at a poster.  If you have AMP suggestions Amp suggestions only I only was looking for that.  You have no clue what I am planning for as far as Alternator or batteries so dont even go there.  I KNOW MY CURRENT ELECTRICAL IS NOT UP TO PAR it is in the works already. I am having a custom wound unit done by a shop local to me that I do motor control work and PM for.We will be well over 300Amps plus Three batteries will be more than enough. Currently I have a BRZ 1700 at 1ohm a pioneer GM 6400 for mids and highs and I have 0 voltage drop or light dim with my stock battery and alternator. I have a 1/0 Big 3 done and it is doing its job.  Does anyone have amp ideas or are you all gonna just keep trying to answer a question never asked.

I would look into Sundown, Incriminator Audio, and Crescendo. Everyone on the forums seem to be happy with them. I would steer clear of Skar Audio, the owner is sketchy. Kicker, Rockford, JBL, JL, MTX, etc are all nice too but cost a significant amount more than the original three suggestions.

Thank you for finally answering the question. Now is there anyone that has anythhing to offer other than what the store here sells. I have asked similiar questions and it seems noone has an opinion that they werent given. I have had Sundown and they are at the top of list but was looking for other opinions. I know there aresome other companies out there

Digital Designs m3b should be good, they do rated power at 11.9 volts.

Tjanks for the suggestion its a lil more tan I was looking to spend but I was looking at some of there other amps def will keep in mind.

I'd suggest that aq2200 as stated before as well, for your application

Need a HO Alt

Need a HO Alt

Buy one!

To all the F-tards  It wasnt a loaded question. Ihave been on these BS forums and all I was asking was Are there any nsuggestions that mayu have not been plastered on here already. I was looking at Sundown and AQ/Soundqubed but was open to other ideas that someone may have.  On the HO alternator I dont have to buy it it is being custom wound by P/H autoelectric for my application. They make HO alternators for all different applications I hust wont have Shiny Billett BFD. Oh was  supposed tio overpay for a product they make for a sponsoring company with a Namebrand on it sorry I go directy. When you buy the stuff that goes in my vehiclle Ill be more than happy to install anything you want. As for the ever changing system I never keep anything too long and my neighbors keep buying my shit. So I feel thhat this has been a complete waste of time I will leave you Audio snobs be and feel free to GFYS or play in traffic Adios MF

You sound like your on the rag, chill out and conduct yourself like an adult. If you don't like the response don't take it personal, just move on.

Wow, so your profile says you were born in 1978, I'm guessing that's just a typo for 1998? Grow up. No self-respecting adult would act like this.