Sign in to follow this  
ncc74656

i think i need a new alt? what kind tho?

2500 dodge ram with factory alt.

i have been having major voltage drop issues with my Fi SP4 that i installed so i think its time to upgrade. i run 2 group 31 batteries 975CCA each, how many of these could i run off a single alt?

how large of an alternator could i run in my truck and what will it cost? would i need to run more than one for my power demands?

about 380A of sound system, a 5KW power inverter and a 450A winch.

I personally own a mechman elite. With that being said it works great and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I've also heard good things about Singer and DC. DC you'll be waiting so long that you probably won't own the same vehicle, but i've heard they make quality products. All 3 of these companies have been offering hairpin 6 phase technology and after using it I probably won't switch back. In basic terms what this does is give you the highest amperage at idle and it does it more efficiently and cooler than the older technology. 

this is good news then, my fear was that buying a HO alt would be a waste due to my idle speeds.

i idle at 550rpm, red line at 3K, and average cruising rpm is about 1850@75MPH. city streets i average more around the 1500rpm mark so i want my max output to start at around 800rpm

Def check out Mechman, my durango idles low and i have no issues with the six pin setup

contact sales@singeralternators .com or contact mike singer via facebook, I run a 275 amp alternator in my f250.. he has great products, the best customer service, and a lifetime warranty cant beat that...

my stereo pulls about 700~800 amps some where in that area i have a mechman 6 phase and it is beast, i have had a handfull of h/os and this is the best one yet..... its also themost expensive but ya get what ya pay for!  a year and a half with no issue!

hmmm, i have seen some 250 amp alts and some 275's but i just cant justify replacing my factory alternator with such a small alternator. a difference of 55A is not worth 500.00 to me. that said i would spend 6-700 on a 400A or so alt.

this is good news then, my fear was that buying a HO alt would be a waste due to my idle speeds.

i idle at 550rpm, red line at 3K, and average cruising rpm is about 1850@75MPH. city streets i average more around the 1500rpm mark so i want my max output to start at around 800rpm

I will definitely echo myself and say again to make sure you look in to hairpin only if this is the case. Vehicles with extremely low rpm typically will not do well with the older technology. The only way to circumvent low rpm's in most alternator manufacturers eyes was to make the pulley smaller in which case when the alternator is faced with max load you have a much greater chance for belt slippage. Not to mention most car manufacturers never made the alternator for maximum belt wrap to begin with so this ups the chances yet again to lose those much needed amps for our high end systems. 

ok, well i will email the 3 large alt companies and see who can best each other then. i highly doubt that a 9 groove belt is going to slip from a full load alt so im not to worried about that. i think i may want a slightly smaller pully on my alt tho to help with the idle, i have a high idle switch that puts the engine at 1100RPM and it also does this when the engine temperature is below 40F to warm things up. 

i am looking at the 370A model, is that over kill for what im doing or will i actually use this power?

ok, well i will email the 3 large alt companies and see who can best each other then. i highly doubt that a 9 groove belt is going to slip from a full load alt so im not to worried about that. i think i may want a slightly smaller pully on my alt tho to help with the idle, i have a high idle switch that puts the engine at 1100RPM and it also does this when the engine temperature is below 40F to warm things up. 

i am looking at the 370A model, is that over kill for what im doing or will i actually use this power?

For what's in your sig it'll be more than needed, but i'd hardly say overkill. No such thing as overkill with a single alt IMO. Now if you were doing a triple alt bracket and running a polk 1k amp on 2 rockford fosgate p2's id probably have a good chuckle. Not knowing what your goal is would be hard to determine any more amperage. 

For instance, in this case your sig says 1 kicker zx2500 with 4 group 31 batteries. You will be treating those batteries right by getting a great alternator if it's for just daily beating and such. However, if you would have said "Hey I wants all the db's to stay whilst I park and pound with my 4 SP4 18"s on 4 kicker zx2500's". I would mention doing multiple alts and more batts. This will be your best bet IMO

i run the 300 amp.

i think ill go with a 320 and if i need more ill buy a second.

so i ordered my new alt yesterday and i have a tracking number today... like holy crap im blown away. coming from waiting a month and a half for my sub and im currently going on 3 months for a steering stabilizer, ill be waiting 4 months for my suspension system to be built and delivered (projected). I have been waiting a week for kicker to be able to give me a RA number to send my amps into them for repair and here i have a performance part that will be at my door with in 4 days of ordering it... I am blown away by this.

My guess is Mechman

yes, mechman

i got it in the mail yesterday. so thats an order on mid day Tuesday, built, shipped, and delivered by noon on Friday... amazing service. im going to install it today, i wish i could be excited but i need to mail my amps out for repair after a guy tried to steal them and arced the crap out of them. :(