Vehicle : 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Location in the vehicle: Cargo
Space available (Length x Width x Height): 29L X 40.5W X 20H
Subwoofer make and model: SSA ZCON
Subwoofer Size: 15
Number of Subwoofers: 2
Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Slot
What type of music do you like?: Rap,Rock, Dubstep
Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Daily with some spl mixed in ( I know i know)
Tuning Freq (Hz): 28- 32hz after displacement of course gotta love them lows

I already built a box that is installed now and while it does do okay on the lows and the zcons truely are amazing, it does sound fairly peaky and it is also smaller than i expected (long story short i messed up when designing off the dual ported recommend sketchup and didn't calculate the displacement for the bracing right messed up my front baffle wasted wood so yeah.)

I would prefer it to be subs up port up as i have heard sounds better in jeeps for daily. I am running subs up port back now, but think i want to try sub up port up.

I would do my own box here but it seems when i design them i can't even think straight lol, plus i'd rather others who know a ton more about enclosures and subs in general design it as there would be a lot less room for failure.

I have 6k to throw at them, Thanks in advance.

how many cubes is your current box?

9.67 before displacement, i think after port and sub displacement it is around 7.5 cu. but after bracing probably close to 3.70 cu per sub.

Or if anyone could help me with the port dimensions? I know the forums are kind of slow on the weekends. but I'd appreciate it very much :).

i can tell you if you can make the box bigger do so.. they love space IMO.

Yeah, that is definitely what I will do. just need help with the port, don't want to waste material and have a box that sounds like garbage or has port noise :s lol.

i wish i could help you ... i do trunk set up.. and i pay ramdesings  or JBLcamry to do my blue prints.. if you go to the SSA store you can buy a desing from the site and i think JBLcamery is the one who does them for SSa.. and hes a wizard with the Zcons and the evils .. he has used them for years and years.. before the evils were every evils.

If you need help designing a box, I can help you. I can design it and make a 3d sketchup of it with a cut sheet too if you want/need it.

Ok ill get on it and let you know when I'm done.

Quick question, do you want 45s in the port and all inside the box and do you want them flush mounted?

I think 32hz will be a good tuning, I had a 12" Zcon with a tuning of 32 hz and it slammed the lows in decaf music.

Edited by Bassink

keep us posted on how the new box works.im interested because im planning my next build of 2 ssa zcon 15's with a stetsom 6k5 in a subaru.ill need somone to blueprint a box for me when it comes time ;D

keep us posted on how the new box works.im interested because im planning my next build of 2 ssa zcon 15's with a stetsom 6k5 in a subaru.ill need somone to blueprint a box for me when it comes time ;D

Just let me know when the time comes!

I have the design done. I would of had the 3d sketchup but I had to take my dog to the vet. She's been kinda sick. Ill have it to you by the end of the day!

Sorry to hear that man, hope she gets to feeling better and it's no biggie take your time and get all you need to get done first. As well thanks again for helping me out :).

Thanks man. She seems like she's getting better. For your box, I'm thinking subs up/ port back is going to be the best. I'm trying to get at least 130in2 of port area in for these subs. That's kinda on the low side too. With port up I can get that, but the net volume will be ~7.25 cubes. With the port back it will be 8 cubes. With the 29 depth, how far away is the hatch?

Bassink will do you a great job. He helped me with my box layout.

Thank you Kevin :)

with 29 deep it puts an inch away from hatch, maybe even closer going up 20 high. my current box is only 24 or25 inches deep to give it enough distance from the.back hatch.

That is why I was thinking that sub up/port up would be the way to go I figured it might save some room. I just worry about not having enough room from the port to the hatch as well. I've heard port out the side is good for spl in jeeps as well but also don't think I'd have the clearance :s.

How much port area do you have now?

I pretty much used the port size from the dual 15 sketchup for the zcons. I messed up and.had to change the box midway thru building it. because I didn't realize that I had cut the pieces for it to be port back/ sub back.

So if you open up the zcon dual 15 sketchup that is on ssa's site those are my port dimensions although I think I adjusted the hieght for my box which is 18 inches tall I believe.

When I get off work I can give you the.measurements if you'd like. I was super drunk when I built and cut it and didn't realize what I cut until I was.almost done with it.and sober haha.

Ok just post the port dimensions when you get off. Since the box is an inch away from the hatch, Were gonna have to go port up. Also I'm not thinking you have enough port area for you current box now and with you having more port area with this box it'll sound a lot better and be a lot louder even if you have around the same net volume.