clanderson

Fi SSD or Fi Q @ 1200w

Hey guys, I've got a 1200w Diamond Audio amp to work with, and was wondering what would sound best at that wattage - the Fi SSD or the Fi Q?

Thanks!

Gonna depend on your box more than anything. Both solid ass drivers. Start with more info for us. Goals and vehicle, available space blah blah. Details!

Hahaha sorry! Trying to learn as I go.

I've got a 2002 Dodge Stratus - stock electrical (upgrading to big 3).

Ordering a custom box that would fit whatever sub I'd get, and I have room for box dimensions up to 17"H, 32"W and 24"D.

I'd like great SPL but don't want the SQ to be overlooked. A nice balance between the two, I suppose.

And this would be a single 15" SSD or Q.

Again, running with a 1200w Diamond amp

Edited by clanderson

Save some money and get the SSD, it seems like it would be a good fit for you. The Q isn't a bad option at all though, you can also look at an SSA ICON.

Would there be any difference between the two at 1200w? Any improvement with the Q at all, that is?

Save some money and get the SSD, it seems like it would be a good fit for you. The Q isn't a bad option at all though, you can also look at an SSA ICON.

Huh? The SSD is nearly $100 cheaper than the Q. I don't understand what you are saying.

BL >>> Q for you. WAY. I wouldn't rule out the SSA drivers either though.

Really? A BL over the SSD/Q? Why do you say that?
And would a BL/Q sound better than an SSD @ 1200w? That's not too underpowered is it?

Really? A BL over the SSD/Q? Why do you say that?

And would a BL/Q sound better than an SSD @ 1200w? That's not too underpowered is it?

Absolutely. For your definition of sound better the BL will win. There is no such thing as underpowering. Complete farce. Sad thing is 90% of the people who buy the Q would be WAY better served by the BL. Not that the Q is bad, but you didn't reference any desire for what it excels at.

Dual 2. Dual 1 will be 2ohm or 1/2ohm.

I'd worry about your box, before buying (or even shopping) for a sub.

Yes sir! I've got a quote from DC Creations for a box fitted for an SSD, but now I think I'm going to go for one fitted for a BL.

Do you have any suggestions regarding the box? Or regarding the box manufacturer? I was hoping to get forward facing sub and forward facing port, but am definitely open to the best practice there.
Again, i've got a trunk size of 17"H, 32"W and 24"D available.

Edited by clanderson

I'd use Fi's recommended box and go from there. As for builder, I am not familiar with Nebraska's choices.

Someone over at Fi and some others have been saying I should take the SSD over the BL @ 1200w.. what's up with that?

That doesn't make much sense considering the BLs are roughly 3db more efficient that the SSDs and will be louder with your 1200 watts... or 120 watts... or 12 watts...

Yes a dual 1 ohm, or a dual 4 ohm...

Just to throw this out there, when I was searching for a new sub and came upon the BL and Q it took a while for me to decided. I wanted SPL plus good SQ as well. I finially decided on the BL15 and let me say, Ill never look back. Amazing output and sound quality on 1200wrms. I just made a new box running a little big but sounds awesome. 5.8 ft^3 tuned at 33hz.

I've owned a few Qs and loved them. Sound great to me. Never heard a BL to compare but do t doubt anything these guys say. Next Fi purchase if not an sp4 will be a BL

Just to throw this out there, when I was searching for a new sub and came upon the BL and Q it took a while for me to decided. I wanted SPL plus good SQ as well. I finially decided on the BL15 and let me say, Ill never look back. Amazing output and sound quality on 1200wrms. I just made a new box running a little big but sounds awesome. 5.8 ft^3 tuned at 33hz.

You really should get your hands on a Q driver.  You only live once to hear such sexiness.

You really should get your hands on a Q driver.  You only live once to hear such sexiness.

Oh dont worry. I wanna use all different kinds of drivers. Ive only been into car audio for a little over a year now and am still learning a bunch of stuff. After using the BL I could not even imagine what a Q sounds like being designed specifically for SQ application.

Oh dont worry. I wanna use all different kinds of drivers. Ive only been into car audio for a little over a year now and am still learning a bunch of stuff. After using the BL I could not even imagine what a Q sounds like being designed specifically for SQ application.

I have their pre-09 Q driver an it doesn't fail to impress.  Trying to get my hands on a new one!

I've only used the pre 09 q's. a 15" and a 12". Great output. Still don't doubt the BL fits what most are looking for. I found mine on Craigslist and made an impulse buy. Not a bad purchase. Left me itching to try a pair of BLs

Bl is like an spl version of Q.  More cooling, potential for more power handling.  Spl influenced