• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

1. Recent Topics

• 17 comments
        • 393 comments
        • 2 comments
        • 5 comments
        • 6 comments
        • 1 comment
  • Similar Content

• By Second Skin
      Here is a very nice video showing off a Customers use of Second Skin sound deadener to increase the bass in his door panels.  Check it out here 
    • By mklett33
      Hey all! Much like my previous threads I am starting another part of a build that will be completely documented through video. The support for the door pod series was awesome and I hope you guys enjoy this series just as much. Just like before I will be video taping every single step and editing all the information together to present to you. If you haven't seen my videos before I hope that you enjoy them and would love to hear what you think!

If you missed the seeing the door pods I mentioned above here is how they turned out:

http://www.youtube.com/caraudiofabrication'>

If you would like to see the in depth process of each step for how I made these door pods there is a conveniently organized playlist on YouTube at this link:

But enough about the door pods! Its time to get into our next project: The Fiberglass Under Seat Sub Box! Lets get started!

First a little about the system:

The Vehicle:
      Chevy Duramax 2500 HD Extended Cab (Will add pics soon)

The Gear:
      Alpine Type R's 6.5" Component Speakers
      10" JL Audio W3 (Just kidding, I was planning on using this but have fallen in love with the DAD KMH-8, so we are using that instead)
      Knukonceptz wiring
      Wirecare.com wire protection products
      Alpine MRP-M500
      Alpine MRP-F300

If you are interested in a review for the KMH-8 or learning more, check this out:

I started with a concept, I knew that I wanted to build a box that would house both the amplifiers for the system and hide the wiring, but at the same time I wanted quick and easy access to them. The plan for how I am going to do this is difficult to explain, but as the build progresses it will become clear. 

The box will also feature several inserts, I have entertained the idea of doing light up plexi on parts of the box. But I am not sure I want too. What do you guys think?

Anyhow here is the initial idea, I like to get stuff out on paper first, really gets the creative juices flowing:

With the general idea framed out I started building. Pretty traditional stuff here but one of the coolest things I can teach you here is how I used a "Adjustable Curve" to get a perfect match with the floor contour of the vehicle. I also got the "Beauty Panel" frame trimmed out on the top of the box.

To see the steps that got me to this point check out the video below!

Well, thats it for now, off to a good start, I already have the bottom fiberglass molded, just need to edit the video, so you guys have to wait!    Let me know what you guys think, wondering what direction you think I should go with the insert pieces, back lit, metal mesh, etc.
    • By mklett33
      In this tutorial write up we will be covering how to create some awesome door panel pods that will add a custom look to your install, allow you to integrate multiple speakers into a door panel, and allow you to control the mounting position of the speakers. Note that while these are in fact door “pods” that are not actually permanently bonded are made as part of the door panel itself, there are many techniques within that could be used if you were in fact planning on creating door “panels” from scratch. Let’s begin!

Step 1: Woodwork and Templates:

In order to have a good foundation for our door pods we want to make awesome speaker rings. The video above covers many of the details needed.  Take your time with this step as clean woodwork is essential to having a good foundation to create the door pods.

Tools needed:
      Router
      Jig Saw
      Jasper Circle Jig
      Flush Trim Bit
      Rabbeting Bit
      Foam Tape
      LTP
      Stapler and Staples

Upon completion you should have great looking speaker templates that are prepped for molding into the panel.

Step 2: Reverse Mounting Speakers:

This step is not essential in terms of design, but it is important to have a plan for exactly how the speakers will mount. The last thing we want is to make these amazing door panels and use wood screws to secure the speakers that will become loose with time. Take a look at the fasteners we used here instead.

Tools Needed:
      Drill and Bits
      Marker

When complete your speakers will be ready to mount securely to your pods.

• Recent YouTube Posts