dropkick13

Need Help Diagnosing Speakers Cutting Out

So for about the past week or two, my speakers keep cutting out. I've tried to find a pattern in their behavior but it APPEARS random. Sometimes they will play for a few songs and then cut in and out in 10 second increments, sometimes they will cut out for 5-10 minutes straight. I thought they might just be over heating (it has been really hot here in Md and the amps are mounted behind the seat) but the amp's thermal warning has not been going off. What's also strange is the sub continues to hit flawlessly.

I've walked around with a volt meter and do not see any issues from battery to amp. Possibly related, my check engine light comes on and off and one of my ebay HID fog lights just went out. Also, the volume level does not appear to affect the behavior of the speakers but I haven't been able to fully confirm that. 

Any ideas on what to check or tests to perform?

I have an 06 Silverado ext cab with JBL 1200.1 powering an SS RL-p12 and a JL 300/4 powering 2 Pioneer 720's.  My head unit is an Avic D3.

You've got a loose wire somewhere

After re-reading I see you say 10 second increments. If that is true it is electronic.

when it goes out, you need to look at your amp and see if the protection light is on or if the on light is on.

I too believe loose wire or overheating at the amp.

I see this amp has it's own thermal and low batt light.

Need to see if one of those is on while it's cut out, not after the fact.

I'd third the loose wire and throw in maybe even wires touching behind one of the speakers.

The amp's warning lights never turn on, even when the speakers cut out.  

M5, sometimes the speakers cut out for 10 seconds, sometimes for 10-15 minutes.  

You know, I recently moved and the street I'm on has 2 of those huge speed bumps that throw my truck all over the place... a loose connection could be probable.  

* I just shook all the wires around at the amps/cross overs and it did not make a difference in the cutting in/out of the speakers.  I assume it's not at the speakers since both speakers work or both don't work.  I guess next step is to check behind the head unit?

I'd third the loose wire and throw in maybe even wires touching behind one of the speakers.

would that cause both speakers to cut in / out together?

would that cause both speakers to cut in / out together?

YES it could.

I would pull each speaker out and inspect the quick disconnect terminals or whatever you are using to connect them to the speaker.

Since they both go to the amp, one speaker shorted can affect the entire amp as it's still trying to put out a signal.

One little teeny wire grounding itself can be fun to find.

In cases like that though if you detach and reattach everything it usually solves itself....and only take 15 minutes.