SacredTanakh

SSA Evil vs Fi SP4

I realize that SSA are built at the FI buildhouse, but what are the differences between these two subwoofers?

The only differences I notice in a SP4 and Evil are the magnets which one is ufo style and one is the traditional stack style, then the SP4 has sandwhiched leads in the spiders. The specs are almost identical, a small change in the T/S parameters.

Is the Evil basically the fully loaded SP4 with an extra 200 dollars added on top?

Nothing agianst SSA or Fi either way, I just am interested in what makes the evil better to which that 200$ comes from.

Pretty much completly different. They do share a basket.

Pretty much completly different. They do share a basket.

Okay, explain? I am probably getting a new car soon (keeping the bronco) sometime this month so I am trying to decide which subwoofer to buy for it. so details would be great.

It means they are not the same woofer...

Is sundown and RE the same because they share a basket?

... Obviously, you already said that.. I never said that or even acted like I assumed that if the baskets are same the subwoofer is the same.. Tons of subs share parts including baskets.

but what makes the Evil better? thats the question

Or even if its not better, how much different will they sound? and as far as goals go which ways do the SP4 and evil lean?

I'm trying to decide which one would fit me best. Maybe I'm not getting  that across Idk.

Edited by SacredTanakh

I think the main problem is there are NO VS THREADS ALLOWED..... stated in the rules .... that is all 

... Obviously, you already said that.. I never said that or even acted like I assumed that if the baskets are same the subwoofer is the same.. Tons of subs share parts including baskets.

but what makes the Evil better? thats the question

Or even if its not better, how much different will they sound? and as far as goals go which ways do the SP4 and evil lean?

I'm trying to decide which one would fit me best. Maybe I'm not getting  that across Idk.

-sighh- alright, now that I think about it I remember that.

But can someone at least tell me the goals of the SP4 in comparison to the Evil? I will probably end up getting the evil, but still.

I understand why vs threads aren't allowed but this one is something I've been wondering about also. Op has legitimate questions. We ask this info from manufacturers all the time. I'm tuned in for the answer

Exactly my point, there are quite a few people around here curious about the same thing that's why I made the thread.

I get that.... but the thread should be about the goals and whether a SP4 would meet those goals or an Evil will meet those goals... You cannot pin up 2 drivers against each other without warrant... 

Ex:

"I want more SPL because my current xxx doesn't do it for me.... Can the SP4 in the same/similar situation provide me with more blah? "

Just saying... It's hard to pin one against another, especially if the drivers specs are not identical or goals are not the same.... end rant ... Continue

I understand why vs threads aren't allowed but this one is something I've been wondering about also. Op has legitimate questions. We ask this info from manufacturers all the time. I'm tuned in for the answer

Exactly my point, there are quite a few people around here curious about the same thing that's why I made the thread.

That should have been the main question and possibly more info about what you're wanting... get me?? lol

But can someone at least tell me the goals of the SP4 in comparison to the Evil? I will probably end up getting the evil, but still.

Yea I also wonder this too!

If I were you id state your goals. What do you want to get out of this system?

Edited by Bassink

they're speakers that take electrical energy and convert it into acoustical output..

one you can customize to your install, the other you can not..

either way you're not going to go wrong

ps. they're both different.

That should have been the main question and possibly more info about what you're wanting... get me?? lol

I realize I should have thought it all through first, but I'm an impulsive person most of the time haha.. sorry bout that.

no need for apologies... just trying to help the thread move along positively instead of getting completely derailed.... I'm just gonna lurk now in here as I have no more input... lol

they're speakers that take electrical energy and convert it into acoustical output..

Yeah haha that was.. enlightening..

Anyways in terms of goals/info, the car is a 2013 Chrysler 300.

The car will probably never be entered in a competition, and might only once be metered purely out of curiosity.

Want to be around 3000-4000w, hence why I chose the SP4 or Evil.

I like listening to anything between 25-45hz, most often around 26-31 though.

The front stage will be full on SQ, but I'm looking more for air movement/pressure with the sub stage.

Hopefully that's enough information. Not sure how much space the trunk has, I haven't actually bought the car yet...

But I'm guessing a single 15 will fit fine.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Didn't expect something that comical from nick .... lmao!!! 

Yeah haha that was.. enlightening..

Not going to get involved in this thread other then to say that the SSA Evil has free Domestic Shipping, which is part of the reason for the higher price.

I think the goals of the subs are close to the same. Both are meant to get loud as hell and sound great doing so with a emphasis on low end. I have heard both in good installs and both sound good and are loud. You will not go wrong with either sub. The SP4 is a beast, the Evil is a beast.

If your on a budget the SP4 will NOT dissapoint.

Funny that no one gave him any real helpful info... Except free domestic shipping. But is that enough to justify a $250 difference?

I'd imagine the evil would be slightly louder on the same power given that the specs show it having more motor force. Everything else is damn near the same. It would honestly be good info for users to have, maybe give examples, this driver might be better for this and this one is better for that. 

I was actually expecting that to happen.... At least give some more info on the Evil .... maybe? 

Funny that no one gave him any real helpful info... Except free domestic shipping. But is that enough to justify a $250 difference?

I'd imagine the evil would be slightly louder on the same power given that the specs show it having more motor force. Everything else is damn near the same. It would honestly be good info for users to have, maybe give examples, this driver might be better for this and this one is better for that. 

I was actually expecting that to happen.... At least give some more info on the Evil .... maybe? 

Well in my case it is not free shipping since I in alaska so.. do I get 250$ off? ;P

haha, anyway I do have a lot of respect for both companies, and I really like the way the evil is presented and such as a product.

Which for me is why I consider it even if it was the exact same loudness and such.

One thing I would recommend is for SSA to somehow try to pull it further from the SP4 if it is quite different in reality.

Its all in the marketing I guess, the way its presented. Which they did pretty good with the whole Evil name and look, but if they could take it a littler further somehow more so in specs than presentation.

Just my thoughts so far.

I am not privy to all the in's and out's of each sub, but Scott will not rebadge any of his motors for any company. I have talked to him a couple times about this. Each brand he builds is different from the rest. You have got to remember that each brand has it's own nitch in this hobby. While I know some of the owners and have owned Fi, AA, and SSA subs each has been different and they all have worked flawlessly. Just really depends on what fits your needs and wants. I migrated to the Evil because of the Evil logo does that make sense? Not to some, but once you realize what I do for fun, well then it makes a little sense. I build and operate a Haunt.

If you are wondering if I have heard the SP4, rest assure I sure have. Mike Heinicke gave me a demo of his 4 18's.