SacredTanakh

SSA Evil vs Fi SP4

Aaaaaaaand /endthread.

I'll put in my 2 cents since this is not a specific manufacturers forum.

Both drivers have close enough mechanical parameters that they would behave the same nearly the same in the same box.

Both drivers have the same motor force 288.75 for the sp4 and 288 for the evil. Yes the evil has more BL due to more "L" length in coil wire. However this also increases resistance which has to be taken into account.

However the Evil has a slightly higher SPL rating .2 increase. Due to the slightly better Mms weight and motor force ratio due to the 10 gram lighter moving mass.

So in a world on paper the Evil would be ever so slightly louder in an enclosure where the drivers would reach xmax at 3,000 watts. However in an alignment that took 3,250 watts to reach xmax the Evil would have an ever so slightly more advantage being the sp4 could not displace as much air due to not hitting xmax. However it would not be enough to be audiblly different due to the minute difference.

So as a customer in my opinion it comes down to one thing. Fi prides itself in being a DIY company. It expects its customers to be able to take the info given and help themselves in enjoying the product. Which in return allows for a less expensive product.

SSA on the other hand is a dealer network company and prides itself in bring able to work hand in hand and guide the customer. This of course take time and time is money. So there comes into play the slightly higher costs.

So it comes down to what type of customer you are. Are you the one that can handle the expected wait time (you are told prior to purchasing) and can use the product at a DIY'er or do you need daily updates on product status and enclosure recommendations and install help.

Aaaaaaaand /endthread.

Agreed, that pretty much completely answers the whole thread and many peoples thoughts, so thanks ^.^

Well put Quentin. I would personally buy the Evil to help support the forum, SSA, and Fi.

When said both drivers are for different applications, what would those apps be?

I'll put in my 2 cents since this is not a specific manufacturers forum.

Both drivers have close enough mechanical parameters that they would behave the same nearly the same in the same box.

Both drivers have the same motor force 288.75 for the sp4 and 288 for the evil. Yes the evil has more BL due to more "L" length in coil wire. However this also increases resistance which has to be taken into account.

However the Evil has a slightly higher SPL rating .2 increase. Due to the slightly better Mms weight and motor force ratio due to the 10 gram lighter moving mass.

So in a world on paper the Evil would be ever so slightly louder in an enclosure where the drivers would reach xmax at 3,000 watts. However in an alignment that took 3,250 watts to reach xmax the Evil would have an ever so slightly more advantage being the sp4 could not displace as much air due to not hitting xmax. However it would not be enough to be audiblly different due to the minute difference.

So as a customer in my opinion it comes down to one thing. Fi prides itself in being a DIY company. It expects its customers to be able to take the info given and help themselves in enjoying the product. Which in return allows for a less expensive product.

SSA on the other hand is a dealer network company and prides itself in bring able to work hand in hand and guide the customer. This of course take time and time is money. So there comes into play the slightly higher costs.

So it comes down to what type of customer you are. Are you the one that can handle the expected wait time (you are told prior to purchasing) and can use the product at a DIY'er or do you need daily updates on product status and enclosure recommendations and install help.

Well, that pretty much sums it up! 

To give my honest opinion, I've listened to several sp4 installs, and when comparing them to mine, I can't "hear" a lick of difference lol. But I too would purchase an Evil simply based off of the support that comes with it. 

In regards to what kind of applications these drivers would apply to, I would suggest for the lower notes. If you listen to C&S music, decaf, DJSNT, or any of the music that plays heavily on anything below 32hz, then these are the drives you should buy. If your more into Dubstep, or any sort of Electronic music that plays from 45hz and up, then I would go with a ZCON/BTL. Obviously the enclsoure and it's environment have lots of "influence" of the way they perform, this is just based off of my real world experience witht the said subwoofers.

Both drivers look bad a$$. It really comes down to just picking one and rolling with it. If you're wanting to try something different than the rest, I'd throw in the Tantric HDD or SHD. That should add a lil' fun to the party.