Flatline1

Flatline Audio Amplifier Testing Results.

So we sent the prototyes of the FL1 and FL2 to Robin at BHE to test for us a few months back and since were new here I decided to post the results here. I had also sent the FL2 down to Taylor Fade in Baton Rouge to test as well. So here are the results that they came up with.

Robin from BHE results were:
Both amps were set to no distortion using the SMD-DD-1, and they were done in a vehicle that we build using a pair of PSi Platform 1's (750rms subs) and they took it like champs!

the FL2 starting .25 and rising to 1.02 ohms put out 3416 watts on 10.4V

the FL1 starting .25 and rising to .76 ran an astonishing 2996 watts with the voltage dipping down to 11.3V

Taylors results from the FL2 were:
1,768w rising to 2.4
2,112w rising to 2.1
3,752 rising to 1.2

So Taylor also had the fun job of testing our BA2 which is our 7k model. Here are factory specs for this unit.

Specs/Rated
- 4,000w rms @ 1 ohm (12v)
- 7,000w rms @ 1 ohm (14.4v)
- 8,600w rms @ 1 ohm (16v)
- 9,600w rms @ 1 ohm (18v

Initial impression is that this thing is beefy. It has to be 35 pounds or better. It *looks* small-ish, but it's got some serious heft. It's also a little taller than most amps so don't let the footprint fool you.

013ABC91-8DB5-42B4-977C-80A83F04D593-289

Here is a shot of the clamp the Taylor did for the BA2.

7,510w at just under 1 ohm ohm and 12.7v.

Yep. It's doing rated. And then some. It's doing it's 14v rating at 12v. I have zero doubt 9k would be in the rearview mirror on higher voltage.

Very nice, you have prices?

Yes I will be posting prices up later today for all models

Here it comes.

Here it comes.

Wonder what that statement means.

Here it comes.

Wonder what that statement means.

You will most likely find out soon if you do not know.

lmao... literally

They love DD-1s here. 

At least they said 0 distortion with no reference to THD.

A couple quick hints for you. In the future if you are going to quote testing the customer base here would appreciate that you post significant digits and uncertainty on your measurements. Stating a power of 1768.029381 watts would show a rather large lack of understanding in testing methodology.

And since I was setup like a t-ball my other recommendation is to throw that useless piece of junk (the DD-1) in the garbage (or CL it). It isn't helping you do anything. If you think it truly is, start a thread and we can discuss it.

By no means is this ANY attack on the product or company. I can assume since Mark & Aaron offered you a spot on the board that you guys are great and the product will be as well. Just want to help outline how to really get that message across.

At least they said 0 distortion with no reference to THD.

A couple quick hints for you. In the future if you are going to quote testing the customer base here would appreciate that you post significant digits and uncertainty on your measurements. Stating a power of 1768.029381 watts would show a rather large lack of understanding in testing methodology.

And since I was setup like a t-ball my other recommendation is to throw that useless piece of junk (the DD-1) in the garbage (or CL it). It isn't helping you do anything. If you think it truly is, start a thread and we can discuss it.

By no means is this ANY attack on the product or company. I can assume since Mark & Aaron offered you a spot on the board that you guys are great and the product will be as well. Just want to help outline how to really get that message across.

Just to let you know we did none of the testing I was just quoting results from the test that were given for us.

That's better, beware where you get your information and how you cite it then. We'd be glad to help.

The main issues with your comment above are:

The DD-1 CANNOT measure distortion. It is not part of the algorithm. And not even close btw.

Clamp tests are not valid.

Using something with rise for a test is non-scientific and won't give you any results worth sharing.

The significant digits that you posted are absurd, ie, no way in hell ANY of the gear shown would get you anywhere near enough to go to four digits (1768w or whatever). Obviously that means that the data shared beyond the accuracy of the device is downright misleading and shouldn't be used. It will also make you cry how un-accurate the results are.

Of course, in reality we all know that whether the amp makes 1400w, 1768w, or 2000w you won't hear the difference anyways so chasing ridiculous digits and citing them just removes any believability from the post.

That's better, beware where you get your information and how you cite it then. We'd be glad to help.

The DD-1 CANNOT measure distortion. It is not part of the algorithm. And not even close btw.

Using something with rise for a test is non-scientific and won't give you any results worth sharing.

The significant digits that you posted are absurd, ie, no way in hell ANY of the gear shown would get you anywhere near enough to go to four digits (1768w or whatever). Obviously that means that the data shared beyond the accuracy of the device is downright misleading and shouldn't be used. It will also make you cry how un-accurate the results are.

Of course, in reality we all know that whether the amp makes 1400w, 1768w, or 2000w you won't hear the difference anyways so chasing ridiculous digits and citing them just removes any believability from the post.

Lets look at this shall we a build house buys a 3k 4k or whatever k board. They put the components on the board that's suppose to make whatever power that its suppose to make. They hook it up to a dummy load with no rise or voltage drop to check to see if it makes the power it suppose to and if it does then it passes their test. Then they sell it to someone like me when we ask for a amplifier to start a company. We get a sample to test for power to see if it will indeed make the power they state. Now whether its with a clamp meter or with a amp dyno or whatever ohm law is ohms law last time I checked. Now using a clamp may not be 100% accurate but it is close enough to give you a idea of if it works or make close to the power it is suppose to.  As far as needing any help on testing you are more than welcome to buy one and test it out and post your results.

Edited by Flatline1

Lets look at this shall we a build house buys a 3k 4k or whatever k board. They put the components on the board that's suppose to make whatever power that its suppose to make. They hook it up to a dummy load with no rise or voltage drop to check to see if it makes the power it suppose to and if it does then it passes their test. Then they sell it to someone like me when we ask for a amplifier to start a company. We get a sample to test for power to see if it will indeed make the power they state. Now whether its with a clamp meter or with a amp dyno or whatever ohm law is ohms law last time I checked. Now using a clamp may not be 100% accurate but it is close enough to give you a idea of if it works or make close to the power it is suppose to.  As far as needing any help on testing you are more than welcome to buy one and test it out and post your results.

Did you read my post? I didn't offer to test, I offered to help you understand your results in such a way you could make them a useful post instead of one full of misunderstanding.

By any and ALL scientific methodology a measurement without determining the uncertainty isn't a valid measurement period. Obviously this isn't something that was understood in your initial post since you shared WAY too many digits after the first.

Did you read my post? I didn't offer to test, I offered to help you understand your results in such a way you could make them a useful post instead of one full of misunderstanding.

By any and ALL scientific methodology a measurement without determining the uncertainty isn't a valid measurement period. Obviously this isn't something that was understood in your initial post since you shared WAY too many digits after the first.

As I stated at first I just copied and pasted the results that they posted from the test that they did on our amps and I totally understand everything. You are not dealing with a noob here by any means. And I read your post and what I am saying is if you want to give what you feel are results that are valid from testing one of our amps then feel free. Like I said in another post the clamp numbers are pointless in real world applications when playing music so in all actuality when your testing your really just seeing if it makes the power that its rated to do. We can go round and round on this but I really don't see a need to so unless you have any valid questions about our amplifiers which is what the topic is about there is nothing else to say about clamp testing but feel free to start a topic in another section.

Edited by Flatline1

If you understand everything then fix your post. VERY simple.

And btw, this isn't about real world versus clamp tests, just about testing methodology and understanding the meaning and results of the test. As I said above, real world it doesn't frickin' matter.

If you understand everything then fix your post. VERY simple.

And btw, this isn't about real world versus clamp tests, just about testing methodology and understanding the meaning and results of the test. As I said above, real world it doesn't frickin' matter.

Like I said there is nothing else to discuss on the topic the results are posted from the test that were done and that is that and once again if you have any other questions about our amplifiers ask away as far as the results are concerned there is nothing else to talk about.

LMAO at this whole thing as I said in the first post the test were done by Taylor Fade and by Robin Butler but I guess that's not being understood or something. These same results are posted on about 4 other forums all I did was just transfer parts of the threads here verbatim of what they wrote mainly the parts with the numbers instead of the whole paragraphs that were written. The only thing the results are for basically is to show that the amps make rated power. That's it nothing more.

Ah, I see my post was deleted...interesting

One thing that wont be tolerated in our forum is trolling, negative comments about any company we are not about any of that and it will not be tolerated here.

Ah, I see my post was deleted...interesting

One thing that wont be tolerated in our forum is trolling, negative comments about any company we are not about any of that and it will not be tolerated here.

You are not allowed to delete post on this forum. If members here are trolling, then they will get banned. Comments are comments, wether they are bad or good, no one vendor can "only" have good posts about their product. 

The comment that was  made was not about our product it was about another company I don't want that drama here on our forum and if that is a problem then maybe we will not be here long because to me that is not called for on any forum whether here or anywhere else. That is something that I cant stand and if we cant moderate our forum the way that we see fit then what the point of having a moderator at all.

Take a look at Kevin's section lol

The comment that was  made was not about our product it was about another company I don't want that drama here on our forum and if that is a problem then maybe we will not be here long because to me that is not called for on any forum whether here or anywhere else. That is something that I cant stand and if we cant moderate our forum the way that we see fit then what the point of having a moderator at all.

Don't mean to upset you at all, haha, trust me, I like what I see so far, and you have handle yourself very well IMO. I'm just saying based off of previous vendors. When comments have been made towards their product, and with the vendor not being able to speak for themselves, they would simply delete comments, even if its just a 400 + 400 question. Moral to the story is, I guess as a vendor hiding away legit comments/responses from customers leaves a bad taste to the viewers.