Sign in to follow this  
Quentin Jarrell

Ethos 15 free air

I thought the craftsmanship looked very familiar. I was impressed by the craftsman ship on my DP's, still waiting on the fourth, then durability testing time. 

Do plan on progressive across the board too? Or will some of your drivers have linear spiders?

yes nuway was bought out by lcc and George wise was then employed by lcc as ive known George for 20 years...when nuway was nuway they had their manufacturing facilities in the us...its not a big deal just pointing it out

I thought the craftsmanship looked very familiar. I was impressed by the craftsman ship on my DP's, still waiting on the fourth, then durability testing time.

Do plan on progressive across the board too? Or will some of your drivers have linear spiders?

He didn't cone that driver I did. I don't have the man power to fully assemble the amount of transducers I have coming so he will at his warehouse. I will still inspect everything before I ship them out. Around the end of the second quarter I will have a Klippel QC machine set up to inspect every single transducer.

I have no plans on using a linear spider. Besides risking mechanical failure in ported enclosures there are to other reasons not to use a linear spider on a subwoofer

1) a spider with a significant creep creates a more preferable warmer sound and 2) induces even 4th order distortion which gives the sense of more output.

I think its great to have another company here in la, we are a full buildhouse in Gonzales and you are more than welcome to swing by one day

I think its great to have another company here in la, we are a full buildhouse in Gonzales and you are more than welcome to swing by one day

Seems like there is a lot coming out of La. lately.

Yea.. isnt it weird after bassahaulic laid low for a while.. LA starts to get popular?

Yea.. isnt it weird after bassahaulic laid low for a while.. LA starts to get popular?

Haha that's what I was thinking.

Yea I know. I inspect bulk cargo ships in Darrow on a daily basis.

He didn't cone that driver I did. I don't have the man power to fully assemble the amount of transducers I have coming so he will at his warehouse. I will still inspect everything before I ship them out. Around the end of the second quarter I will have a Klippel QC machine set up to inspect every single transducer.

I have no plans on using a linear spider. Besides risking mechanical failure in ported enclosures there are to other reasons not to use a linear spider on a subwoofer

1) a spider with a significant creep creates a more preferable warmer sound and 2) induces even 4th order distortion which gives the sense of more output.

How will a linear spider be more prone to mechanical damage than a progressive? I've got 10yr old subs with linear spiders in my truck right now. Most of the drivers I've used have had linear spiders and no mechanical failures. Well except my D6s but they got a tad over 3k each clamped. The two different sets of drivers I've used with progressive spiders, I never cared for their "sound" at all. My ufo's were completely unnatural sounding, they just got loud. Then the 9500g motors with psi parts(not a fan of those parts at all) which were meh.  

The spider is a spring. A progressive spider (which has nothing to do with progressively smaller rolls) if properly designed will get exponentially stiffer past 50% cms (20% distortion, audible distortion). Linear spiders do not.

When you run a subwoofer in a ported enclosure it looses its dampening exponentially. A progressive spider compensates for this.

I know how they work and what they do. You're not showing me how progressive is better. If linear spiders suck as far as SQ and SPL, you wouldn't see them on 95% of all SQ drivers. Then You wouldn't see them on high powered drivers either, Ti pro's, 1st gen SS XXX, TSNS, T2000's, DDZ's, DD9500 series, tantric HDD/SHD, NSv2's, Zv4's, HDC4's etc. The list goes on.

Where are your figures coming from and what driver are they being based on? I'm not trying to criticize anything.

Concept and theory.

Edited by armykyle1

I don't believe I said linear spiders suck. Please find it and quote it for me if I did.

I said progressive spiders are better for the application of a ported alignment.

As I said before, a spider is a spring. A linear spider will have a smooth curve through its movement. Meaning it gets tighter and tight at a smooth constant rate until its stretched out similar to say an accordion.

Now on a progressive spider it gets tighter nice and smooth just like the linear spider up until it hits xmax. Once it hits this point it gets exponentially tighter acting as a break, to help the driver from hitting hard mechanical limits if that makes sense.

Given the fact that ported enclosure unload below tuning its good to use a progressive spider as a safety feature.

So, basically you're saying it's better for stupid people?

Also, I never said you said they suck. 

So, basically you're saying it's better for stupid people?

Also, I never said you said they suck.

Yea basically, shit happens. Enclosure size and tuning effect the amount of power it can take. It's just insurance.