Garrett Tait

running wire through doors!!

i have every panel popped off ready for install. my doors are a mofo, the rubber grommet thing thats between my doors for the speaker wires is going to be really really frustrating and i was trying to figure out how much a shop would usually charge to run speaker wire into a door. i'll have the amp all hooked up and ready for speaker wire it just literally needs to be ran through the door. the door panels will be off, all the trim for the side where the wires will be popped so that will cut off some time on the installers part.

roughly how much would a shop charge me for this?

Use a coat hanger, tape wire to it and shove it through. 

It depends a lot on the shop. Best bet is to just go and ask them.

Personally I would do it myself. But I never pay anyone to work on my car. :D

Take a think piece of metal, like a rod, tape the end of the wire to it and try to sneak it in.(Rick beat me to it while I was typing)

By the way, what happened to the original speaker wires?

you are 3/4 of the way there and your going to give up already???? do what they said and save yourself some money

im on deck power right now and i cant hear shit after i got my sp4  so i got a 2 ch amp now for the front doors. i dont really like people touching my cars and i always do installs for myself and buddies but i aint gonna lie my car is a mofo for the doors running wires into it. the rubber is deep back there and i got big hands haha

im on deck power right now and i cant hear shit after i got my sp4  so i got a 2 ch amp now for the front doors. i dont really like people touching my cars and i always do installs for myself and buddies but i aint gonna lie my car is a mofo for the doors running wires into it. the rubber is deep back there and i got big hands haha

Just use the stock wire.

as stated before, but push the coathanger through first then tape and pull the wire through.

It really isn't that hard.

Why go through all the trouble? The stock wire should work fine. If its still there that is.  

Just as an idea, I don't know how much other shops charge, but if you had both panels off, it'd cost you $20.

Just as an idea, I don't know how much other shops charge, but if you had both panels off, it'd cost you $20.

I remember when I did mine years ago I went to a shop and they wanted ~120 so I said fuck that and did it myself. Now I just use the coat hanger method and it takes no time at all.

I remember when I did mine years ago I went to a shop and they wanted ~120 so I said fuck that and did it myself. Now I just use the coat hanger method and it takes no time at all.

I use a wire fish tape,

Yea I've had customers come in and ask us to do it for them. I usually tell them to try the coat hanger or fish tape. If they still can't get it done, it just costs $20.

Never use a coat hanger or any other object that will conduct electricity.  Newer vehicles run data bus to door locks, chime ect.  grounding out a wire can fry a computer module.  A large zip tie made for AC ducks work best.  Home depot and lowes have some up to 4 feet and bigger and they run about 75 cents.

To ease installation spray the tie and wires being ran with windex.  DO NOT USE WD40 or any other oil based lubricant.  They are flammable and can catch fire if a wire that is powered is grounded out.  Don't ask how I know that last part of info.

4d4aba9d-3110-4e36-b05d-40cc375d1a39_300

Never use a coat hanger or any other object that will conduct electricity.  Newer vehicles run data bus to door locks, chime ect.  grounding out a wire can fry a computer module.  

Well that is good to know.

I just did mine today I used the Coat hanger & tape method myself cool to see I am not the only one to do that. I keep a few coat hangers around that I have stretched out that I use for running wire through the car it just simple, cheap & effective gotta love it.

If you brought me that with everything torn down and all you wanted me to do was get the wires though. I'd do any where from $32.50-$65 depending on the door.

coat hanger  and  tape  is best way!

in fl  ive heard shops quote as much as 50.00 a door on some dodges!

but I think you can find someone place that do it for like 25 a door >> depends on what your doors are like and how hard it is to get to the gasket!

again I think the coat hanger and tape method is good  have even used real long  strong zip ties as well

I feel your pain man- on my Vitara the factory grommet for the doors runs vertical about 4" then enters the vehicls cab.  which wouldn't be that big a deal, except the kick panel only has 1 little hole. ugh.  I'd have to pull the dash to get to it.  If I wasn't running an active setup and need to run a wire for the mid and the tweet.., I would run the wires from the amp to the deck and tie into the factory speaker wires there.

Don't try running the wires through the grommet between car and door that can be a pain. The best way is to pull the grommet out of the car and through the door you,ll have more room in the door to work with I just ran four runs of 12awg through mine yesterday with a lil wd40 took no time.

If you have an electrical plug like my old car did, clothes hanger and fish tapes will not work. You'll have to pull the plugs out completely and make holes to run the wire through. If it's not too difficult taking the whole door off can be helpful. Some vehicles are way easier than others. Like running wire through the doors on my blazer, cake walk. I don't really like the clothes hanger method, you could end up damaging the factory wiring. 

my old 92 ranger had plugs that I had to drill new holes in the put wires through.  The s-10 I had was an easy peasy big ole rubber tube to run wire through.  every vehicle is different.  Best of luck.