Sign in to follow this  
disturbeddrummer254

I need some help

I have 2 18s in seperate enclosures. I was told by some others that my ports where to small on my boxes. I had them tuned to about 31hz..so I made them bigger. Should be around 36-37 according to Torres..at the same time I bought a used DD z1 amp and hooked it all back up. Its sounds like shit..wont hit lows for shit. Do you think I tuned to high, or did I get a bad amp? Wtf

What kind of lows are you looking for and and what are the x-over settings on the amp and headunit?

Most likely the box is what is making it sound like shit.

What are your external and port dimensions you put into Torres?

Also what kind of music do you listen too? I would never tune over 35hz but that's just me.

I put it on mostly rap...some of the same songs I listen to befor I changed the port and amp. White girl, rack city, on my level, etc....before it sounded really good n clear through out the song. Now it sounds horrible. I can't pin point what's wrong, the ports being bigger or the amp having something wrong with it. Since I have them in seperate boxes, I think I'm gonna redo one of the ports n see. If there is a difference.

I like those kind of lows in those songs. I don't really know how to explain it but when you tune higher like you just did it makes the low lows like in those songs not play loud and stong. It also makes it sound weird and shitty.That's why I like the lower tuning of around 32hz. That's probably what is "wrong" with your setup.

If you need a box design I can help you out. Ill make sure there's enough port area in there and also make it tuned to where you like it.

Where is the subsonic filter / high pass filter set to on the amplifier? The low pass filter? Did you use a dmm to set these, or used the silk-screened lines on the amplifier?

How did you make your ports bigger? What's the current port area, length, and dimensions of your enclosure?

Ok I messed with torres to get the port dimensions. I thought I needed bigger ports. I knew the tuning would go up but I didnt know it would turn out bad. I guess I wasted my time this weekend lol. Live n learn I guess. Maybe I need to come up with a box design with both subs n one big box port tubed to 30-32. Might as well if I gotta rip it apart.

Is this set up in a 98 GMC Sierra ext. cab ?? If so, is the enclosure(s) on the floor (meaning the back seat is either up or removed) or is the enclosure(s) laying up on the back seat ???

the seat is gone. i have a platform that the the two seperate boxes or sitting on. then i have a wall built. it sounded good when i had the 2 soundstream tx1.2000d hoocked up. them one blew on me. So i bout a used DD z1 amp last week and had the bright idea if making bigger ports. Going from about 31hz to 36-37hz...i guess this was a mistake

Going from about 31hz to 36-37hz...i guess this was a mistake

Did you verify your final tuning ??? Are you sure it's 36-37 and not 46-56 (or possibly higher) htz by mistake ???

stranger things has happened ...

i just put in the mesurements in torres and its about 36.61hz...i put in the old port measuremants and it said i was tuned at like 29.2hz..no wonder the lows sounded so good. I only changed the port because a few people on here said that a port of 5x9 and 15 long was to small. so i made it 5x15 and 18 long...now its sounds shitty...also the port in now like 2 1/2 inches from the back of the box. i guess thats not good either

i just put in the mesurements in torres and its about 36.61hz...i put in the old port measuremants and it said i was tuned at like 29.2hz..no wonder the lows sounded so good. I only changed the port because a few people on here said that a port of 5x9 and 15 long was to small. so i made it 5x15 and 18 long...now its sounds shitty...also the port in now like 2 1/2 inches from the back of the box. i guess thats not good either

Like I said in your original thread, you need a completely new enclosure.

Yea I just need to face it...but u do think bringin the tuning from 30 to almost 37 is making it sound crappy right, not the amp I bought?

Yea I just need to face it...but u do think bringin the tuning from 30 to almost 37 is making it sound crappy right, not the amp I bought?

Your enclosure is 90% of the sub setup, so yes it is most likely the problem.

Your enclosure is 90% of the sub setup, so yes it is most likely the problem.

90 percent ... No, I wouldn't go that far. If that was the case, There wouldn't have been any need to go with those expensive Zcons you're running. You could have done just as good with a custom built CNC enclosure with a pair of Funkey Pups ...

In order to have a good / great sub stage, you need to have basically all of these areas working together ...

Source unit, Electrical (Battery power / wiring), adequate amplifier power, well designed / built drivers, and well designed / built enclosure ...

There is alot of questions in this thread about the amplifier that has not been answered yet ... Yes, I agree that he needs a new enclosure build, but if that used amplifier is not working good (its possible that the power supply in that amplifier is not delivering adequate power to the output fets like it should), there may be more work that needs to be done to help this guy solve his problems ... Honnestly,  he should have left the enclosure(s) alone to do the amplifier swap ... then change port tuning if need be ...

Question for the Op ... Why did your origional amplifier blow up ???

If his port is only 2 inches from the back of the box then his tuning and port area is focked. Sounds to me the  port should be 5 inches from the back of the box if his port is 5x15. no?

I had 2 Soundstream tx1.2000d. . One on each sub. One of the amps stop workin. So I got a refund. I feel stupid because I do feel I should have done one thing at a time. That way I know if it's the ports or the used amp, or both.

I think that where I messed up. I should have left it alone. The ports were 5x9 and 15 total inch long. Ocording to torres it was tuned to 30hz before. It sounded good. But I was told that my ports were to small. So I made them bigger. Now its sounds horrible

Are you saying that you have 2 amplifiers ... one for each sub ?? Meaning a different brand per driver ???

or you have one amplifier now powering both drivers ??

I have very little faith on the actual enclosure specs.

Post all the dimensions of the enclosure.

Each box is 35h22w20deep.....slot ports are 5x15 and 18 total length...its now 2 1/2 inches from the back of the box..I think this is were im messing up. I tryed using torres. I wanted to make the port bigger but I had to make my length go from 15 to 18 to avoid the tunning being way to high. According to torres im at about 36.5hz